Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wek

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Denmark
Hi

I have the MacBook Retina PRO mid 2014 13 inch 2.6 I5 8 GB 250 GB Flash, and I love it. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading, is because I would love to have a bigger screen, 15 or 17.

But the specs are fine. Could you recommend a model with same or almost same spec, but just a bigger screen. It still need to be a retina og better screen :)

Thanks

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Could you recommend a model with same or almost same spec, but just a bigger screen.

Apple haven't offered that for a while - even when your current model came out, the 15" screen was tied to higher CPU and GPU specs. Its annoying - there are a lot of applications that benefit from extra screen space but really don't need the horsepower of the 15" models.

Do you actually need the larger screen "on the road" or just at the desk? What I used for a long time was a MacBook Pro on an elevator stand next to a large monitor, with an external keyboard and mouse - so you effectively get a dual screen setup. On the other hand, the 13" format is great for portability.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Have you considered using an external screen or even multiple screens?

I use my 2015 13" MBP connected to two external displays, with the built-in display as a third screen. The amount of screen real estate you get that way is quite staggering.

Buying two decent 24" or 27" displays will cost you about 300-400 EUR/USD in total. A whole lot less than a new 15" MBP (at least 2500 USD/EUR for a new one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.