I need comebacks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mushrooshi, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Im a mac newbie, and I need comebacks because the windows users keep saying "Mac sucks"

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

-say Windows photocopies Macs

-MAC Stands for Bad ass

:apple:

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

My advice would be to just ignore them. Who cares what they think!

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

"So does your mom!"
    "You suck!"
    "I'm telling!"
    "Your face sucks!"
    "Windows sucks!"
    "Eh. Me no speak english."

Seriously though. Who cares what Windows fanboys say? Just ignore them.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some things you might do:

- Run Windows via Parallels or BootCamp. Emphasize your computer can run Mac and Windows. Best of both worlds.

- Use the Terminal Window. Show how you can run Unix. Then remind them how with one computer you can run Mac, Unix and Windows -- natively. Of course with Parallels you can run many virtual operating systems.

- Show them iLife and how it is easy to use. Create a quick movie and then burn a DVD using iDVD. BTW, got a switcher that way since it was so easy.

- Run Microsoft Office for the Mac. Totally compatible.

- Run some games under Bootcamp.

- The key is to show how nice the Mac is. This last weekend, I hooked a PC IT type with showing how easy it was to back up and restore a bootcamp PC or a Parallels PC. Their mouth hit the floor with my demo.

- Lastly, get a thick skin as many Windows users will try and bash the Mac. It comes with the territory. And as you become more familiar with the Mac OS and it's features, you will be able to demonstrate more benefits with using a Mac.

- And the last but not least. Become a PC expert. Nothing like someone who uses a Mac to fix your PC problems. This is the equivalent to rubbing salt into their wounds and is really gratifying. :)

6. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i got all my friends to switch over just by stating the facts.

you can always use:

vista, the OS X copy, uses roughly 700MB RAM at the desktop doing nothing.
    finder uses <200MB on my iBook.

pwned

seriously, the facts, even though there are cons, still beat windows almost everytime.

the firewall in a Mac is second to NONE

7. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

APPLE VS. MICROSOFT

Three Microsoft engineers and three Apple employees are traveling by train to a computer conference. At the station, the three Microsoft engineers each buy tickets and watch as the three Apple employees buy only a single ticket.

"How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?" asks a Microsoft engineer.

"Watch and you'll see," answers the Apple employee.

They all board the train. The Microsoft engineers take their respective seats, but all three Apple employees cram into a restroom and close the door behind them. Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks on the restroom door and says, "Ticket, please."

The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes the ticket and moves on.

The Microsoft engineers saw this and agreed it was quite a clever idea. So after the conference, the Microsoft engineers decide to do the same on the return trip and save some money.

When they get to the station, they buy a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the Apple employees don't buy any ticket, at all.

"How are you going to travel without a ticket?" asks one perplexed Microsoft engineer.

"Watch and you'll see," answers an Apple employee.

When they board the train the three Microsoft engineers cram into a restroom and the three Apple employees cram into another one nearby. The train departs.

Shortly afterward, one of the Apple employees leaves his restroom and walks over to the restroom where the Microsoft engineers are hiding. He knocks on the door and says, "Ticket, please..."

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A couple of nights ago, I was up in front of a class and my PB15 had a kernal panic.

I notice that it does this when I am running Classic and then connect an external monitor. For some reason the different display resolutions between Mac OS X (mirrored with external) and Mac OS 9 (Classic) messes it up. Usually I quit Classic and then Force Quit the Finder and then all works fine. In this case, I had forgotten to stop Classic.

So I had my grey screen of death. They all laughed a bit. I said that it happens. Then I quickly explained why. But what got them, is how easy it was to restart. Just press the start button. And boom, up and running again. No issues with starting in Safe Mode or needing to fix the HD. Just restart and move on.

9. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

This is awesome. I love it.

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Here is the only one you should need:

"So how's that Vista treating you?"

:p

11. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I switched after 15+ years with Windows. When one of my Windows friends makes a comment, I just smile. ;)

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

A comedian once said at a Comedy Works here that he had a comeback for every single heckle you could throw at him.

To any heckle, he'd just reply " F**** YOU!!"

Hehe.:D

13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

The ultimate, classic comeback!!!

From Scrubs:

"Your face!!"

"Dammit, I should have seen that coming!"

14. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

How about reverse psychology:

Don't look up or react much to their words, but say "Yeah, they do." And keep right on typing. React that way every time, it'll start to piss them off - especially the ones that try more than once.

16. gonyr macrumors 6502

go with "The jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

"Thats not what your mom said"

"Your sister didn't seem to think so"

18. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

"Mac sucks"

"Does it? Excellent, not only do I get a great computer, but I get 'favours' as well"

19. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

XD I love the jokes.

I do have a problem witht he iLife comeback...

Saying that mac is easy to use...

I tried that and th eiLife one, and they said "Mac treats you either like a 90 year old grandpa, or a retard with a helmet."

They are my friends, but fierce windows fanboys.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice solution!

They do all the work and you get to have all the fun. :)

21. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Thats usually what I do. I just say "Yeah, you're right" in a fairly serious tone, throw in a smile right after, and don't say another word.

I used to try and worry about comebacks and what to say and all that, but truth be told, they're the ones suffering. If they think Macs suck, let them. They'll figure it out on their own eventually.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol i am going to save ever single post in this thread, simply because i am gonna use them so much when i eventually go to uni an bust out me mbp.
    i have my thick shell developed already tho. i will be hunting for potential switchers!!!

23. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i get it all the time at uni...there are a few windows fanboys who don't like apple at all

it's just like barracking for a football team...you'll never convince them otherwise

but i personally look at a mac as a lifestle decision...it's so much more carefree than windows...i don't spend half my time fighting the operating system

but there's always the logical solution

"HAHA! You have a mac. Macs suck."
    "Well it's my money, I'll do what I want with it."
    "You wasted your money."
    "I don't think so, and that's all that matters."

I got this guy the other day who spent 10 minutes bashing the iPhone because someone told him that I had an iPod touch.

Best to just ignore the windows fanboys...they're just jealous that you can use another operating system effectively:p

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

If they're idiotic enough to pick on someone over their choice of laptop, they don't deserve to be in uni at all. I've studied at three different uni's and never seen this sort of thing. Generally people have other things on their minds or are more interested in making friends and going to clubs :)

I work as technical officer for a company, we are 100% mac here because of me. Recently one staff said she wanted to buy a PC laptop for personal use.

Fine, I said, I recommend a Thinkpad or if you want a subnotebook, one of the nice Sonys or Panasonics. (I'm not gonna go dissing someone's choice of computer - it's not professional.)

I've told my family and friends that I only give technical support for macs. If they buy a PC, and get a problem with it, hmm I seem to have strangely forgotten how to fix them :)

Most of my family now have macs. But my partner's sister was choosing with me what laptop to buy for home and work, and in the end, we decided on a PC laptop because I don't see her that often, and the technical guys at her company use PCs - they can fix her issues. None of them use macs, and she's not the type to be the first mac user at her workplace.

Get the right tool for the right situation.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In the end, if someone just has that to say, then you really don't need to say anything in return. Just move past it and talk about something else. There are always going to be people who are simply too stubborn to consider other things, and that's fine for them. There are going to be lots of other people who are more interested and will ask you why you chose to buy a Mac, and you can present your reasons to them. In the end, it all comes down to what type of person you're dealing with.