I need help. Bought an off contact phone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bad wobot, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bad wobot macrumors newbie

However the apple employee activated the phone with att on her ipod. how do i get itunes to say the phone is unlocked?

I would like info before I open the box.

Any one have ideas?

Thanks

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) you can't activate an iPhone with an iPod

2) if it was activated the box would have had to be opened

3) Was it factory unlocked? it it is just turn the phone on then pop in the sim.
    How much did you pay? It is likely locked to a carrier, You need to software unlocked but since you are with AT&T You must have sign ed a contract with them

Please next time you create a thread please make it more clear so people can try to help you. I put more effort into answering your question than you did asking it.

3. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

The box was not opened. i paid full price of 650 + apple care.

the phone was an att locked phone.

I was going to wait for the factory unlocked phone until I read the post on macrumors about the att phones becoming unlocked when if they were bought off contract.

I hope this info help more.

4. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

If the box was not opened how did the Apple Genius "activate" your phone. Your story makes little sense.

5. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

when she handed me her ipod she said sign it and then press activate.
    I asked her what that did she said it activates your phone with att. And yes the box was still unopened. I know it makes no sense as I have always activated with itunes. However that is what happened. When I told her I did not want to activate it then she said she could not sell me the device.

6. bellaisa macrumors regular

did you give her your ATT info? If not, then she can't activate it with ATT.

7. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Alright well I've never heard of them doing that. What you should do to make sure your phone is unlocked. (And it should be) Is do a firmware restore on your iPhone via iTunes. After restoring you should get a screen saying, "Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked." Then you will know for sure that it is unlocked. Even if you open the phone you can still return it to Apple with no restocking fee. Not 100% sure on this so I may be wrong.

8. mokeiko, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

mokeiko macrumors 6502

Exactly my thoughts as well. When we purchased two iPhone 4s this past weekend, I asked the Apple Geniuis if it was okay to just take the box home without opening them. He said no, they have to make sure the phone is activated before it leaves the store. He activated the phones through his iPod Touch/credit card reader but he has to see the iphones activation screen to make sure they are activated. When you go through the initial setup, a message will popup that the phone is activated. He didn't even touch the phones once and let me do the setup myself on the iPhones. He said Apple policy was changed this way because people were coming back to the stores with activiation problems at home.

mokeiko

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Got receipt?:confused:

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Making a purchase like this because of a rumour because it can be risky. It may be locked to AT& T. What I would do: plug the phone in. Worst comes to worst apple had a 14 day return policy with no restocking fee, So if it is locked you could return it and wait for the unlocked iPhone 4s.
    I do not think she activated it :confused:

12. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's info I needed. I did not know what to when I connect to iTunes.
    Thank you.

If it does not work I will return the phone.

13. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

she scanned his IMEI with his account ... i can bet his contract date was changed too , plus he paid $650 which is subsidized price for early upgrade.

14. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did not give her any ATT account info as I do not have an ATT acct.

I guess I will restore and see what happens

15. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Then who did you "activate" it with?

16. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

the phone is a att phone so I would assume when it she said she was "activating" it was with att

17. bellaisa macrumors regular

under no contract? you're fine dude, you're in no way linked to the phone except for your receipt. just open it and find out if its unlocked, pretty certain its unlocked.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

$450 is the early upgrade price for a 16GB 4S.

How many times did you sign? I signed twice, once for an AT&T contract and again for my credit card.

My guess is that it is unlocked, just take the AT&T sim out.

19. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

ohh so its a 16 GB iphone ? its unlocked .... for sure ... did you get it at AT&T store or apple ?

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think the OP is saying that he paid for his phone through the employee's iPod and there must have been some activate/accept button to continue the purchage... not necessarily activate through iTunes

21. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct.

The weird thing is I signed twice. Once was for the the "activate" and I had to press an activate button on the iPod. Second sig was for the credit card.
    The first sig is what I was worries about.

22. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

took out the att sim put in tmobile sim and connected to itunes.

got thye unlocked message and now tmobile is running.

thank you for your help

23. Justim, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Justim macrumors 6502

Do any of you know how an Apple Store works?

What she did was sell you the phone as "device only" which doesn't require any account or personal information. (Apple can only sell phones on their easy pay devices for those that don't know.) even activated phones don't require the box to be opened. A customer can do that himself at home from the device.

From what I've read, in order for the device to show as unlocked, you have to restore it. Try that before returning it.

Read all posts but yours. :) did you have to restore it?

24. bad wobot thread starter macrumors newbie

no i did not have to restore the device.

I tried to connect the phone to itunes with out a sim card and itunes said it needs a sim to continue. So i put in the tmobile sim connected to itunes and got the congratulations your phone is unlocked message.