I need help desperately. Changed name of home

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thatsmyaibo, Apr 17, 2007.

1. thatsmyaibo macrumors regular

So I am one of those people that fell victim to changing the name of the home in the finder. When I restarted, everything was gone. I found something on the web that said to copy some files from the old folder to the new one. Once I did that, the home went back to the name it was before I messed it up, and the new one was gone. Now all my information (music, documents, pictures, calendar, address book) have all disappeared. Is there anyway to get it back? I am currently using a new account and am hoping I can revert back to my old one. Thank in advanced.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd recommend buying an external USB harddisk of sufficient size (they are not that expensive, and it is a good investment anyway), backing up everything, and when that is done you should post _exactly_ what you have done.

Changing the name of your home directory and having it work afterwards is a hugely complicated procedure (I think there is a list of over forty steps that you have to get right), and I personally wouldn't dare trying it. If you tried that and got step 35 wrong there is no chance to fix it through advice on MacRumors. If not, it might be as easy as changing the name of your home directory back. It should be the same as your username, which you can find in System Preferences/Accounts.

3. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

I tried and change the name back. Now the name is changed but the information is still gone. I do back up my hard drive to an external, but I lost some thing since my last back up.