Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemon2323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
If I read it correctly, you were trying to upgrade it when the process had a sh*tfit on you, are you able to re-download the correct IPSW to update the iPod, and then option+click and select it - it could have been an issue with the firmware download.

please explain in furter detail. im a ipod noob

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
please explain in furter detail. im a ipod noob

Here is a list of iOS 4.2.1 firmware direct download links
I'd suggest downloading the one which is for the iPod in question, then when you open iTunes, Option+Click (Mac) or Shift+Click (Windows) the restore button and manually choose the firmware that you just downloaded. Just mentioning this as an option because I had one of my iPhones crap a brick on me and it was just due to a bad firmware download, started the whole process over and everything was good once again.

lemon2323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Here is a list of iOS 4.2.1 firmware direct download links
I'd suggest downloading the one which is for the iPod in question, then when you open iTunes, Option+Click (Mac) or Shift+Click (Windows) the restore button and manually choose the firmware that you just downloaded. Just mentioning this as an option because I had one of my iPhones crap a brick on me and it was just due to a bad firmware download, started the whole process over and everything was good once again.

i wish i could but his ipod doesnt show up in itunes

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
i wish i could but his ipod doesnt show up in itunes

Have you rebooted the device?

1) Make sure iPod is disconnected from computer
2) Power down iPod all the way by beginning a Force Restore procedure: Press and hold Home+Power buttons until the iPod turns off, then immediately release the buttons before it can turn back on.
3) From powered down, press and hold home button.
4) Still holding, connect the iPod to the computer
5) When recovery screen appears again, release the home button.

lemon2323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Have you rebooted the device?

1) Make sure iPod is disconnected from computer
2) Power down iPod all the way by beginning a Force Restore procedure: Press and hold Home+Power buttons until the iPod turns off, then immediately release the buttons before it can turn back on.
3) From powered down, press and hold home button.
4) Still holding, connect the iPod to the computer
5) When recovery screen appears again, release the home button.

didnt work :[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.