I need help seeing the difference between iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macigo, Dec 16, 2013.

1. macigo, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

macigo macrumors regular

I'm guessing that just because there is the addition of a new chip that doesn't mean that we will really see any type of big improvement. I'm not exactly sure what the A7 really enables..

I mean I saw a huge boost from the 4s to the 5.

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

We'll I think this is easily just a persons opinion...they are essentially identical and have all the same features except the 5c has a larger screen, lightning port, newer processor and plastic with color. However, the 4s has the more premium look but has a glass back, small screen, older processor, and the 30 pin connector.. It depends on a few factors
    Whether the person prefers...

Screen size

More current processor

More premium look

The charging connector...some only have accessories for the older 30 pin

----------

I liked the older starting question...add it back with the new question so there can be more to talk about:)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I generally only notice speed enhancements (anymore) in subsequent iOS releases. That said, there are certain GUI elements missing in iOS7 for the iPhone 5, presumably to make transitions smoother. I would think that is testament to the differences in chips.

4. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

Apple thought that the 5c would be the popular phone. That didn't really happen. I guess we will have to wait and see but we have a couple of months. There's been 6 or 7 iterations of the iPhone already and they will have to do more than just plastic and bright colors to get people's attention.

5. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Stop changing the opening post...it is hard to keep up with u and relying to each one u change...just keep adding another question while keeping the old one with it...
    The 4s is free or 99cents on contract so most people starting off with apple get the 4s...kind of as a trial and error phone. Lots if parents also buy the 4s for their kids because it is much cheaper and the chances of kids breaking or loosing their iPhone are really high...

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's selling better because it's free on contract.

I certainly notice a difference in speed between the 4s and the 5/5c. And the same goes for the 5/5c vs the 5s, there is a noticeable difference in speed.

7. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

With what app? I purchased the most powerful apps on the store. You know, Anomoly 2. It runs the exact same as on the 5c. So where's the real difference?

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

What GUI elements are missing in the iphone 5? :confused:

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Hopefully when the a8 rolls around it will be very powerful and have more 64but apps to use with...the a6 is already more powerful than my epic hp mini that I've upgraded almost everything on...

10. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

So do you think the 4s will be gone by next year? The 4s seems to be sticking around much longer than any other iPhone. It even lasted longer than the iPhone 5.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Day to day use.

Check out GarageBand and vjay if you don't notice it in your regular use.

12. iPodJedi, Dec 16, 2013

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

In addition I think the 5s will outlast the 5c by a year depending on how apple chooses to keep the 5c

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 4s has been around for the same length of time as the 3G, 3GS and 4. Nothing new here.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I sure hope so!

This is my own opinion and I don't begrudge anyone their opinion about the 4s and I certainly respect their choice, but I resent the 4s because Apple chose to keep an older inferior (in my opinion) iPhone on while discontinuing the iPhone 5, my model of iPhone.

I don't like the 4s anyway, so this was the cherry on top (for me).

Killing the 4s off can't happen soon enough for me.

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

OK, u have change your post like 10 times now. PLUS U OWN BOTH THE 5s and 5c so I don't see y your doing this???

A7 is 64bit, A6 is 32bit the a7 has stronger computing power and and will hopefully last a little longer than 32 bit processors in terms of speed and abilities and longevity.

16. macigo, Dec 16, 2013

macigo thread starter macrumors regular

The 5c and 5s take the same amount of time to start up.

I'm just saying that I have the 5c and 5s here and the 5s doesn't seem any faster.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The A7 is a faster processor than the A6. Additionally, the GPU in the 5S is more advanced than the 5/5C. I can notice a difference between the two, outside of benchmarks.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Should there be? Will the 5s load a webpage faster because it has a faster 64bit processor?

How about Facebook or Twitter? Does a millisecond in speed difference matter?

They are both good phones that cater to different customers.

My iPhone 5 is considerably faster than my iPhone 3GS. But both open a webpage on WiFi at the same approximate speed.

19. macigo, Dec 16, 2013

macigo thread starter macrumors regular

But say you crank up Anomaly 2 on the 5c and 5s. They play the same.

I was hoping to see advancements where it counts.

[​IMG]

When I ran this app. This was my personal test. The wait time on the 5c and 5s are nearly identical.

I thought that if there was any big speed boost I would notice it here.

Maybe we might see something in the future but this was my experience.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Like I said in another post, try out GarageBand or vjay. They've both been optimized for the A7 processor. I've never heard of Anomaly 2, I don't game on my phone.

21. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you would need the A7 to do slow motion. That would require a lot of horsepower I would think.

I'm also going to try iMove and GarageBand.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Infinity blade 3 has iPhone 5s specific graphics enhancements that take advantage of the faster GPU. I've never really been into that game, but I did play the first one on my iPad.

23. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about getting that but I realized I don't even like that game.

24. bmac4, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I need help seeing the difference between iPhones

I sure hope there is a difference between the 5S and the 4S. I just bought the 4S used after I sold my 5 about a month ago. If there is not a big difference in performance between the 4S and 5S. iOS has a lot it needs to fix. Apps have a lot of jank, and just is not smooth. I use tapatalk a lot, and man it's not smooth at all. If anyone can tell me how to fix this it would be a great help. I am just not impressed right now.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It was probably the wrong verbiage used. For example, opening and closing apps shows a different animation on the 5S versus 5. It doesn't affect actual usage in the slightest/