I need help with swtor on mac, I have no idea how.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by castlestorm, Dec 11, 2011.

1. castlestorm macrumors newbie

Okay, here's my problem:

History
    Always had pc's, wife wanted a mac, we went to best buy, I knew nothing about macs, said I really just do basic internet surfing on the computer, and play games. The sales guy told me that macs are fantastic for games (!) and that on any mac, you just put a pc game in, and it would run.

Of course that's a load of crap that I realize now, and soon found out macs suck for games. That being said, I love everything else about the mac, and don't want to go back to pc's.

My problem

I really want to play Star Wars the old republic. If anyone could help me, I'm pretty much computer illiterate, so I need pretty specific directions or basic information!

This is what I've got:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

My Questions are:

- Is this enough to run the old republic well?

- Do I need to buy a brand new copy of windows to install on it? what version?

- will the trackpad work okay, or should I get an external mouse?

- how do I use bootcamp? Can anyone point me to a basic tutorial?

Thankyou!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If I'm not mistaken, you have a 15 inch 2010 model.
    This one has a GeForce GT330M, it should run well as long as you keep settings at a modest level.

You need a copy of windows 7, I don't think Win XP runs on the 2010 model (officially at least)

Trackpad I'nt good for gaming, and SWTor would be much more enjoyable with a mouse, although it is probably possible.

I think there is a bootcamp tut on this site, you could also google it.

3. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

On the Mac, click the little magnifying glass icon in the very top right corner of the desktop. Type "Boot Camp" and then click on the Boot Camp Assistant icon that pops up. With Boot Camp Assistant up, you'll see an option at the bottom to "Print Installation & Setup Guide." Click it, print it. Follow directions and install.

It's the easiest install of Windows you'll ever do. It's practically automated for you by Apple. Make sure you have a blank DVD laying around to put the drivers on when it asks. Also, you'll need a legitimate copy of Windows 7.

And buy a mouse, obviously.

4. castlestorm thread starter macrumors newbie

so to play swtor I will need to spend $225 on windows 7, lets say $70 on the game itself, I see a gaming mouse on the apple store for $99, then what is the monthly fee for the game,? $20?

So just to get the game on my mac this month it'll cost me over $400?? ughhh.

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

A lot of people will use OEM versions of Windows which is cheaper.. for system builders for new machines, but legally as far as the license your not really supposed to.... so yes you need a copy of Windows however you can find it.

You also need to buy the game... yes.. and its $15 a month but the first month is free with the game purchase.

$99 for a mouse is ridiculous. You can use whatever muse works for you, even a $9 cheapy. A mouse/trackball with physical buttons (left and right click, and a scroll wheel, possible 3rd button) is much MUCH easier to use to movement and everything over a touchpad. Its not really possible to do some things with a touch pad, like ... holding down the right mouse button and moving the camera around and then also pushing the first mouse button...

6. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I dont use a mouse to play any MMO's the only part of SWTOR I used a mouse for was space combat. Keybinds will help out massively here, and using tab to target enemies.

You can get good trackpad drivers here: http://www.powerplan7.com/

They are free but you can donate as I did to the guy that makes them.

You will be able to get Windows cheaper than $225, shop around, find a way.

Don't include the price of the game in the budget to get it running because windows users have to pay that too, so you will be paying that regardless of what computer you have.

7. Meicyn macrumors regular

Meicyn

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Best Buy Sales Person flunks Mac101, just to make a sale, lol. I disagree they are "fantastic" for games, I prefer to call them adequate apporaching competitive. :)

Macs are fantastic for everyday computing tasks. :)

Your computer should run SWTOR adequately. As others have said, find a Windows OEM version. IMHO, a trackpad SUCKS for gaming. At a minimum you want a 4 button mouse with scroll wheel. At maximum, something like a Razor Naga with 17 buttons. :):)

Here is a Bootcamp Tutorial at Apple.com. good luck and keep the questions coming! :)