I need notifications all the time, not just when my iPhone display is off

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aston441, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Most of the time, my iPhone is plugged into a charger, with the display on, whether I'm at home or away.

Lately I've been leaving the phone at home and going out with only the S3c. If I forget to shut off the iPhone display, I don't get any taptic notifications.

It's there any way to fix this?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

Because Apple refuses to add a stupid notification LED and I prefer not to have audio notifications because they are annoying to myself and others and because I don't want a phone stuck against my body all the time and because I prefer to keep the phone fully charged and because I don't feel like touching the phone constantly to see if I have any notifications.

Because Apple won't add that 1970s technology that was on TAPE answering machines and almost all cell phones starting in the 1980s called the notification LED.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

But how are you keeping your display on all the time, even when you are not home?

5. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Why do you need the phone screen on to display notifications if your watch is on your wrist?

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No this is working as designed. Your notifications will go to your iPhone or your Apple Watch, depending on the device that you're using. If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    They leave the iPhone active when they are normally with the iPhone but sometimes or at least once they forgot to lock the iPhone and it kept getting the notifications instead of being sent to the active Watch.

Dave

7. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

There's a setting to not turn off display ever. And my phone is essentially always plugged into a charger.

The first iPhone worked as designed. There was still room for improvement.

8. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

I meant when at home.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

So how do you want it to work, have duplicate notifications to the iPhone and the Watch?

Dave

10. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes. Just like I have duplicate notifications on my Mac, my other iPhone, and my iPod.
    Eta: of course it would also be nice if the notifications synced like iMessage does, so clearing on one device clears on all. Unlike Apple email lol.
    That was helpful. Thank you.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I’m reading a lot of angst there. Sorry to hear that you carry that stress with you.

I’m not sure why you need to leave your phone’s display on 24/7 if you’re wearing a Watch and receiving the notifications there, however, a simple fix is to reach over and tap the sleep button on your iPhone when you’re departing your phone and then you’ll receive all of your notifications on your wrist while you’re away from your phone.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm unconvinced that there's a good reason for the ceiling to see what's on the phone's display.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I agree, the OP will have to remember to turn off the display. He would have better chance of Apple giving us a LED notification that for the alerts on both devices. Neither is going to happen.

14. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

Let's put this another way:

What is the benefit of AW not giving me a tap if my iPhone is unlocked?

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

OP, did you give a clear reason why you keep the phone’s display on all the time?

If it’s to see the time of day, or incoming notifications... isn’t that what the watch is for?

16. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Because the assumption is that you’re using your phone, therefore you’ll see the notifications as they come in, on the phone.

What is the benefit of you leaving your phone screen on and unlocked when you’re not home?

You know you’re putting excessive wear on the LCD panel by doing this.

17. andresandiego macrumors regular

andresandiego

Leaving the phone on when not at home doesn't make sense if you want to get notifications on the watch. You wanna know the fix? Turn the display off! You are welcome.

18. Marley macrumors member

Marley

You should be able to turn on the LED flash for alerts in accessibility settings under ‘hearing.’

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Because Apple will not allow it. Turn you iPhone screen off or suffer!

Enjoy!

20. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

What is the benefit of ALL of my Apple devices giving me notifications, with
    All my other devices notify me. Shouldn't they be silent too then if my iPhone is unlocked?

I bought my 6s+ the day of release. The screen has been on continuously since then. It's the same. If you go read up on LCDs you'll see they don't wear out. OLED screens wear out. It's why I probably won't get an X.
    lol the real answer lol

21. Zorn macrumors 65816

Zorn

As someone who is currently using an S8 until 11/3, the one thing I will miss the most, by far and bar none, is the Always On Display. I can know at a glance at all times what time it is and what notifications have come in without having to constantly press the home button to wake the screen or poke around the watch to check for notifications. I hope Apple steals this feature soon now that they will have an OLED screen on the X.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sometimes you just do not get what you want..

23. UL2RA Suspended

Is this an intro thesis into your work on OCD?

24. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's super great. I didn't know about that. I'm so sick of being so locked into Apple. I'm missing a lot of great stuff that others have years later. When I was Android I used to laugh at Apple heads. I guess I should just laugh at myself now.