I need some honest advice regarding getting the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toasty hoodie, Oct 13, 2011.

1. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Currently have a HTC Incredible 2. I want an iPhone 4S. I have a few options here and I want to know the best one.

I am currently 15 months away from an upgrade. VZW won't let me upgrade early this year

I could wait until next year, but that would entail me using a phone I've grown to hate.

I could go to the VZW store tomorrow, add a second line. I would then take my Inc2 off my main line, and add a dumbphone to have it go down to 9.99/mo. I would have to change my minute plan, and lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. It would also increase my bill to around $125/mo....but that would essentially give me unlimited talk, 500 texts/mo, and 2gb of data (which I never seem to come close to.) I would be paying an extra $10/mo on my main line until that contract ended in 15 months. My current ETF for that line is $260.

I can't buy one outright, simply because $649 for a phone is insane.

Another option is to buy a used iPhone4 and ride out my contract with it. I would get iOS5 still and although it would be a difference in processor and camera, I'd still be in the iPhone realm and can maybe upgrade in 15 months when the iPhone5 come out. THAT's a decent possibility, although I would need to find one at a reasonable price.

So, THOSE are my options. What do you guys think?

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

You won't lose unlimited data. You're grandfathered in, even if you have to change your voice plan, your data plan is unaffected (at the current time anyway). Anyway, that option is the option I would suggest. Just add a line and then pay the 9.99 a month for it. Then you will have an upgrade every other year, even if not for an iPhone.

3. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT buy a used VZW iPhone 4. I have heard too many horror stories of people getting bricked iPhone 4's because they bought a used one with a bad serial number. The phone was either stolen or the person stopped paying their account so VZW bricks the phone. You might be able to buy one of the new 8gb iPhone 4 models full price for a reasonable price.

4. steve dave macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't lose your unlimited data by adding a line. Once you get the iPhone just transfer it to your main line and lose the data off the new line.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon doesn't give you an "early upgrade" pricing? For AT&T, it's just $200 on top of the subsidized price.

If not, I think a use iPhone 4 would be your best bet. I think you can find one in the $320-$370 range.

6. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Well if you just check the esn beforehand you will be fine.

7. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Yeah but how many people know how to check the esn lol. If you buy off craigslist your best bet would be to meet the person your buying at a verizon store and verify the phone on the spot. If the person refuses to meet you then you know something is up. I would not buy the phone off ebay if I were you.

8. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I could put the dumbphone on the new line?...Didn't think of that.

New 8GB 4 isn't enough storage for me, 1 and it's still $549 out of contract
    They won't do anything for me since it is Apple

9. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

Math wise....

ETF- $260
    2nd Line- $240 (10 x 24 mos) + 4s cost
    Used iPhone 4- $300???
    Retail iPhone $650 (But, prob worth 300-400 when your 15 mos. upgrade comes).

So, it sounds stupid, but really buying one at retail is probably your move here, and then in 15 months you sell it. It'll probably have ultimately run you the same as the upgrade price after you sell it and you won't have this hassle of multiple lines or losing unlimited data.

10. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I'm not arguing. But just ask for the esn before you bid on it on eBay and call verizon and ask. It really isn't that hard. If it could save a couple hundred bucks, it might be worth it.

11. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I know to check the ESN before purchase, lol...

I'm just really thinking hard about this...It would still be an extra $25 on my current bill, including the $9.99/mo....but I would essentially have unlimited minutes....which would be nice I think...

----------

I just don't have the funds available for one at retail

12. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

How about this as an idea.

Cancel the plan and take the $250 hit. Sell your incredible 2 for maybe $100. I am not sure how much they go for. Now you have the option of choosing your carrier, getting the plan you want without the additional costs and still getting an iphone 4s.

Don't worry about your minutes if your considering ATT or Sprint.
    Att has unlimited mobile to mobile any carrier when you have unlimited texting which is required for iPhone plans. Sprint has unlimited anyways.

13. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I just did a search on eBay for completed listings of the used HTC Incredible 2 and the ones sold recently fall within the $200-$300 range. So after eBay/PayPal fees let's say you walk away with $200.

That means you could get an unlocked 4S for $449, FWIW.

14. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

That's a possibility...as my GF is with Sprint, but I REALLY am set on sticking with VZW. My INC2 could sell for $200 pretty easily

15. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I just paid $649 for my unlocked 4S (Canada). It sucks but I feel "free" LOL I'm nobody's bitch. Give that some thought ;-)

16. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is why you have them meet you at a Verizon store to activate the phone while you are both standing there. Then you give them the money.

17. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

So, here's what happened.

I was on Craigslist this morning, and saw a post of someone wanting to trade an iPhone 4 16gb for a Droid phone. I offered my Incredible2, and he said he would do an even trade.

Met up with him at a VZW store, phone was about the same condition as mine, some light scratches from normal use. It came with a White & Black Otterbox (Which coincidentally matches my iPad Otterbox perfectly)

So it seems like it was a match meant to happen. I'm currently restoring the phone with iTunes as I type this, and am completely happy with the trade. Now I'm officially all Apple with my products!