Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I agree they are close, in Geekbench 4 Compute (GPU) Test, the Pro is rather impressive to say the least
A8X: 7,500 Baseline (Power VR 6XT Series 8 cores)
A9: 9,800 30% increase (Power VR 7 Series 6 cores)
A9X 15,000 100% increase (Power VR 7XT Series12 cores)
I'm not sure if you're into the 9.7 or 12.9 pro, but, my 9.7 A9X w/iOS 10.3.1 gets a g.b.4 metal score of 14451 while my A10 iPhone 7+ gets only 12500.

As far as RAM goes, I just read where iPhone 7/7+ beat out new android devices with up to 4GB RAM. 2GB will be enough for quite a while, I think. But the 12.9 has 4GB anyway, which is likely for the doubled screen real estate.

I see no reason to wait unless you do not need it until Fall, in which case I would say go ahead and wait. I would be surprised, at this point, if we see a new iPad Pro before this Fall, considering they are working on the new form factor (any updates to current iPad Pro form factors would not happen before the new one is announced). This is just the way apple works.

With the recent changes, I don't think we will see any event before WWDC.

Last edited:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I'm not sure if you're into the 9.7 or 12.9 pro, but, my 9.7 A9X w/iOS 10.3.1 gets a g.b.4 metal score of 14451 while my A10 iPhone 7+ gets only 12500.

As far as RAM goes, I just read where iPhone 7/7+ beat out new android devices with up to 4GB RAM. 2GB will be enough for quite a while, I think. But the 12.9 has 3GB anyway, which is likely for the doubled screen real estate.

I see no reason to wait unless you do not need it until Fall, in which case I would say go ahead and wait. I would be surprised, at this point, if we see a new iPad Pro before this Fall, considering they are working on the new form factor (any updates to current iPad Pro form factors would not happen before the new one is announced). This is just the way apple works.

With the recent changes, I don't think we will see any event before WWDC.
So actually, the iPhone 7 Plus has 3GB Ram and the iPad Pro has 4GB RAM. Apple's hardware and software optimization have always been top-notch. Even the brand new Galaxy Tab S3 is slower than the iPPs. To OP, I say wait... but also the current Pros are beyond amazing and are still worth it (by far) and I doubt the updates will make them rubbish. They'll still be lighting fast but may not have a new design, (which isn't what makes the iPad great anyway, it adds to it, but the power and reliability is what makes them the tablet kings.)

Kal.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So actually, the iPhone 7 Plus has 3GB Ram and the iPad Pro has 4GB RAM. Apple's hardware and software optimization have always been top-notch. Even the brand new Galaxy Tab S3 is slower than the iPPs. To OP, I say wait... but also the current Pros are beyond amazing and are still worth it (by far) and I doubt the updates will make them rubbish. They'll still be lighting fast but may not have a new design, (which isn't what makes the iPad great anyway, it adds to it, but the power and reliability is what makes them the tablet kings.)

Kal.
my bad:

iPhone 7 2GB RAM
iPhone 7+ 3GB RAM

iPad Pro 9.7 2GB RAM
iPad Pro 12.9 4GB RAM

most iOS devices currently available have 2GB RAM, should be enough for years to come, only the 7+ and the 12.9" Pro have more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.