I need spy software for os X leopard ASAP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Passive101, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Passive101 macrumors regular

What is good software that will show me what someone is typing in OS X? I know they make software for this in windows, but what can I use in OS X?

I'd like it to not show anything on the other computer if possible. The computers are networked.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We need to know the use of this keylogger, or we won't help you.

3. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

It is for my step-daughter who has tried to go with an older guy on myspace already. She is messaging them in the browser AND on yahoo messenger.

I tried turning on archiving, but she is smart enough to turn it off.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Then take away the computer or teach her about limits before going behind her back. If she can't trust you to make an honest decision in this situation, why would she trust your judgement that she is doing the wrong thing (she is, by the way)?

5. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

She uses it for school work as well. I'm not always home. No one makes software like this for the mac? There are several for windows.

And the man is much to old for her. That is my call.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I believe it. Very little good can ever come from teenagers thinking they're talking to one another in chat rooms.

Forget archiving... Parental Controls in OS X. Make another administrator account. If she's an administrator account, make it managed. Selectively block the websites she visits for social networking and the application Yahoo Messenger itself, leaving any and all that she needs for school open.

7. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to stop her from chatting with her friends. I simply want to monitor what she's doing to make sure she doesn't try to do anything stupid.

8. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

Right!
    Dude, tell her that she's only allowed to use the comp in the dining room or something!!!

If she can't be trusted, remove some "privileges" (not "rights")!! :(

As far as using the comp for school work... no one's fingers every broke in the past from WRITING their essays (y'know... like back in the oldendays) ;)
    and for the 'net... libraries have computers!
    That's what we had to do when we were kids and got in trouble! LOL

9. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

It's all about parental controls. Don't give her an admin account. Then you have to approve what programs she runs, what websites she goes to and who she IMs...

10. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

Just a link to software I can buy or download for free would be great. I don't see any one the apple.com website, but I could be searching for the wrong thing

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Parental Controls is in System Preferences.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

google logkext. who cares what he is using it for the software is out there for anyone who wants to download it and its not illegal.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. poolish macrumors regular

yea logkext is good..
    link.
    im using it on leopard right now, not that anyone else really uses my macbook, but for uni work if something happens and i lose my work it will be in the logfile. ideal. there are probably better solutions which cost money tho, like ones that sort by which application was open and stuff. but this is free.

16. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer a free one if anyone can find one. The os of both computers is leopard.

I'd like it to work and somehow make the info available to my computer on the same network when I am not by the computer.

I use my computer at home for work and am usually in OS X, but I also need to log into windows sometimes as well. I do repair work so I am obviously not always at my computer and don't care to sit at it 24/7.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

have you considered this
    http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

expensive but you can have other versions of vnc as well that are free

would let you look at her computer when shes on it and she wouldnt know

just another option maybe

18. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping I'd never have to resort to this, but I don't have that much money available right now.

19. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to "Break the ice" and posted the first thing that came to my mind :D

20. zevot macrumors member

wow this thing seems nice :D

21. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

Which ones of these won't she be able to tell is running?

The logkext says it uses text based layout. I'm not the greatest with this and am only used to a GUI system.

For the program LogKext. Do I install the software on my computer or her computer?

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

We have this. It works very well.

Passive101, what about putting the computer in a public place in the house where everyone can see and limit her time use. This technique worked for us, other family members, and many friends.

23. Passive101 thread starter macrumors regular

does remote desktop save what is going on so I can see it later? How does it do this?

Also would it ever pop up on the computer I'm trying to monitor showing it is active or that there is an update etc?