Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Nuance discontinued Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac this past fall, those M-Fers! This was discussed elsewhere.

I am currently running DDM/M on my 2016 MBP (Touchbar, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD) but the issue i am running into is that I have to stay with Mac OS X Sierra (10.12.6) and can't upgrade the OS in fear of "breaking" DDM/M, but in the meantime other software that I run does need to be updated.

So the solution would be to get another MBP running Sierra, either 13" or 15", solely to run Dragon Dictate, Adobe Acrobat Reader and MSFT Word. As opposed to buying a used machine from an individual, I need recommendations for a reseller who will have a refurbished 2015/16 MBP with OS X Sierra installed, at least 8GB RAM, an i5 (or preferably i7) processor, an SSD (capacity not important), some sort of reasonable warranty, and the ability to return the machine within 30 days if I can't get it to run DDM/M.

Any recommendations? Thank you.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nuance discontinued Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac this past fall, those M-Fers! This was discussed elsewhere.

I am currently running DDM/M on my 2016 MBP (Touchbar, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD) but the issue i am running into is that I have to stay with Mac OS X Sierra (10.12.6) and can't upgrade the OS in fear of "breaking" DDM/M, but in the meantime other software that I run does need to be updated.

So the solution would be to get another MBP running Sierra, either 13" or 15", solely to run Dragon Dictate, Adobe Acrobat Reader and MSFT Word. As opposed to buying a used machine from an individual, I need recommendations for a reseller who will have a refurbished 2015/16 MBP with OS X Sierra installed, at least 8GB RAM, an i5 (or preferably i7) processor, an SSD (capacity not important), some sort of reasonable warranty, and the ability to return the machine within 30 days if I can't get it to run DDM/M.

Any recommendations? Thank you.

Hmm. Seems to be an expensive solution.

Why not run OS X Sierra in a VM side by side with DDM therein on your current Mac? A MUCH cheaper solution, even to try with a licensed VM to see how this works in real world .. plus it'll be much faster to setup and test really - since either way you'll be imaging a legacy MBP anyway before testing/running what you need.

Just a thought.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Why not run OS X Sierra in a VM side by side with DDM therein on your current Mac? A MUCH cheaper solution, even to try with a licensed VM to see how this works in real world .. plus it'll be much faster to setup and test really - since either way you'll be imaging a legacy MBP anyway before testing/running what you need.

Just a thought.
Possibly because I wasn't aware that I could do that??? When I think of VM, I think of Parallels and Windows. That would be a good thing to look into, because my current 2016 has more than enough capacity to do this. Thank you!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Possibly because I wasn't aware that I could do that??? When I think of VM, I think of Parallels and Windows. That would be a good thing to look into, because my current 2016 has more than enough capacity to do this. Thank you!

Parallels or VMWare Fusion are you goto's.

Yes VM will give the option to run a OS X, Windows, or Linux or Unix (IBM, HP, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc). Look into this and well reply back ... I'm sure others that have a similar situation as yours or maybe will will be grateful of your findings.

Cheers :D

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I feel a huge "DOH!" coming on. It seems I can start by running a virtual Sierra OS within Sierra. This should prove interesting...! Thanks again

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Question- is there any reason why I couldn't partition the HD on my MBP, and run Sierra on one and Mojave on the other? I would be using the Sierra partition for running Dragon Dictate while at work, and Mojave for everything else. No real need to go back and forth, and this would preclude using a virtual machine.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
No reason. you could also use an external drive for it.
I ran High Sierra from external SSD while having Mojave on my internal drive.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Question- is there any reason why I couldn't partition the HD on my MBP, and run Sierra on one and Mojave on the other? I would be using the Sierra partition for running Dragon Dictate while at work, and Mojave for everything else. No real need to go back and forth, and this would preclude using a virtual machine.

No reason at all. However since you'll be using Dragon Dictate for one reason/app only on Sierra partition, in order to continue working on your other apps that required OS update and were compatible as you mentioned in your original post above, you'd have to reboot to load Mojave on the other partition. This is why I mentioned using a VM ... no need to reboot the main OS (Mojave preferably) in order to use Dragon Dictate on it's on virtual instance of Sierra ;)

Savvy?

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
No reason at all. However since you'll be using Dragon Dictate for one reason/app only on Sierra partition, in order to continue working on your other apps that required OS update and were compatible as you mentioned in your original post above, you'd have to reboot to load Mojave on the other partition. This is why I mentioned using a VM ... no need to reboot the main OS (Mojave preferably) in order to use Dragon Dictate on it's on virtual instance of Sierra ;)

Savvy?
Indeed!

But fortunately while at work I only need to run Dragon Dictate, MSFT Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Horos (a DICOM reader) so I will only have to reboot once/day.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.