I need to do a paper on somebody...

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
My mind is completely blank...

I need to do a research paper on somebody, but I also need to in that paper have an opinion on something about him. Any ideas?

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Ho Chi Minh. He had an interesting life, and it would be easy to form an opinion about him.

Or would you prefer to stay away from political figures?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Abe Lincoln. With Obama's liking to him, it should be pretty easy to come up with stuff, plus you can always look into whether or not he was racist.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
How about any of the famous Kings of England?

Or Ivan The Terrible, Or Peter the Great, or William the Conqueror.

Sorry, I just got done with History hw :p

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Thomas Jefferson. The man wrote one of the most important documents in history, was president and was the Ambassador to France as the groundwork of the revolution was laid. In addition, he owned tons of slaves, which led to a great internal contradiction regarding their place, etc. He also fathered children when one of his slaves, who was the half-sister to his deceased wife.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thomas Edison or Albert Einstein would be great choices. There is a plethora of information available and they both have very interesting ideas :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
General Roméo Dallaire. Wrote a book about his time leading the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda, "Shake Hands with the Devil" - subsequently made into a movie. Its a true story, it will give you the heebie jeebies.... your teacher will not have any prior knowledge, and therefore if you won't get nailed if you don't get all the details correct.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
General Roméo Dallaire. Wrote a book about peacekeeping in the former Yugoslavia, "Shake Hands with the Devil" - subsequently made into a movie. Its a true story, it will give you the heebie jeebies.... your teacher will not have any prior knowledge, and therefore if you won't get nailed if you don't get all the details correct.
The Rwanda Genocide is my area of focused studies. Amazing man and it was a pleasure to get to talk with him. He really goes deep, not only in regards to the genocide, but his life. He was so depressed that the was found sleeping on a park bench in terrible condition. You could also talk about how bad of a person Paul Kagame is.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
The Rwanda Genocide is my area of focused studies. Amazing man and it was a pleasure to get to talk with him. He really goes deep, not only in regards to the genocide, but his life. He was so depressed that the was found sleeping on a park bench in terrible condition. You could also talk about how bad of a person Paul Kagame is.
I'm a little envious... I'm glad you had a chance to meet him, and had something to say to him. I'd just be flapping my mouth, uselessly.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
My mind is completely blank... Any ideas?
Lieutenant General James "Old Pete" Longstreet (CSA) [1821 – 1904], Commander of First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, Lee's "Old War Horse."

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Margaret Atwood. Though not a sci-fi author, she writes some of the best sci-fi books currently being published. "Handmaid's Tale", "Oryx and Crake", and "Year of the Flood".

And, if you look at all the suggestions so far - you'll notice a certain demographic bias. Do your paper on an interesting woman, and you'll likely stand out from the crowd. Remember, this is probably a topic that the teacher has given before, which means they have probably gotten bored by the all the usual suspects. Pick someone they will not have read about before, and you'll get bonus marks... even it its unintentional.

Do let us know you pick, eh?

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Ethan Allen - The Revolutionary War hero not the furniture company.

He spent much of his life as an agitator against the British colonial government. Later against New York state and the US Government, mostly for the independence of Vermont from New York. Though he won a few battles he was mostly known for his resistance against government rule.

His life was quite interesting and your report would stand out against standard reports on Washington, Lincoln, Caesar, and other major historical figures.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Go on Wiki and click on Random Article until you find someone interesting. But don't use Wiki as your source. :) Go to the library and look 'em up once you found your subject.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
General Roméo Dallaire. Wrote a book about his time leading the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda, "Shake Hands with the Devil" - subsequently made into a movie. Its a true story, it will give you the heebie jeebies.... your teacher will not have any prior knowledge, and therefore if you won't get nailed if you don't get all the details correct.
Agreed. The man has a terrifying story that many people are disturbingly ignorant about.