I need To Know If What Im Buying Is Right!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DJTHEFUNNY, Aug 11, 2009.

?

What Should I Do?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2009.
  1. Buy The Standard Configuration of The 15" MBP

8.3%
  2. Add The MEM To The Video Card (On The 15" MBP)

25.0%
  3. Get A Refurb

66.7%
  4. Stay With Windows :P

8.3%
  1. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

What I HAVE:
    I Have An Inspiron 1525 Dell Laptop With 2GBs Of Ram (DDR2) 150GB HDD 1.86GHz Processor And DVD CD Burner.

What I WANT:
    The Low End 15'' MBP, The Standard 2.53GHz

MY SITUATION:
    I Run A Small Company. We Book And Manage Bands So I Have To Do Some Photo Editing, Maybe Some Flash Stuff, Website (Which Should Be Covered In iLife Or iWork) Collect Some Pictures And Make Some Music On It. But Making Music ON It Is Nothing PROFESSIONAL Its Just Clean And Organized.

I have External HDDS With All The Things I Need To Work With And A 21" Flatscreen For Editing and stuff. So Am I Getting The Right Mac? Or Should I Make Some Tweaks?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Just for kicks we had the same laptop (the switched to 17" stock) and since nothing you are doing is graphic intensive you you should be fine with that config.

3. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Actually What I Do Is. We Make CD Covers, T Shirt Designs, Concept Art, And So on. Some Times We Digitize Concept Art Drawn On Paper Then Color Them In With A Table. Windows SUCKS For This, Drivers And PErmissions ********.

Also I Wana Learn How To Code Apps And Do 3D Modeling. Im Thinking ABOut Keeping This Computer As My Everyday Computer Till College When I Would Upgrade To Some Big guns

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Have you considered this model? It is better in every way except for the sd card slot (you may like express card better and there are some adapters out there). Don't worry refurbs are just as good as new products and are warranted the same way.

5. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Hmm That Actually Has Me Chewing Something :) Thank You :)

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Glad to help. Some things to consider.
    1:this machine is at least $100 cheaper
    2:this machine has a faster clock speed (probably almost unnoticeable)
    3:this machine has discrete graphics (mean that the video card does not share memory with the system)
    4:70gb more space
    5: faster with snow leopard (or at least in theory )
    6: thee are inspected and rebuilt in the US.
    Keep us posted! :)

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My question is why didn't he ask this question on friday to get this machine tax free! thats $100 off the refurb! or like 115$ of the new one....
    Still OP you won't be disappointed with the mac. It is amazing!

9. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Texas Isnt Qualified For Tax Free Computers :( I Checked, If You Can Find It Link It So I Can Print It Out And Argue My Case :)

10. undertowmusic macrumors newbie

we do everything at our management company on macbooks and imacs. photoshop, audio recording, hd video editing with final cut express, dvd authoring with idvd. it all works fine.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

OH your tax free days are the 21-23 mine were last weekend and it appears that texas does not include computers, infact your tax free days will only save you like 14$ lol.

12. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

How would the spec on the standard 15" MBP do with recording in say logic?

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Why are you still considering that macbook pro? the only difference is the box....

14. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The refurb one is clearly superior why do you want that new one which is not as good and more costly?

16. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Could either of them be okay? I'm On time constriant bcause I have to migrate everything compnay and personal to the mac and learn the software in a week that's why I would likely buy it new. What's in a week? My junior year and my business qualifies me for the work program so I have to be ready by school To hit the ground running

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The new one could possibly be shipping from china but the refurb is guaranteed from the us. and both are within 24 hours. If you want the new by all means i don't make your decisions for you but the refurb oddly is more future proof and will perform in snow leopard better with dedicated memory for graphics.
    Edit: the refurb will ship with any software the origional owner bto'ed in the machine so you could get logic for free even...

18. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Thing is I have saved for the followig:
    MBP
    iWork
    one to one
    apple care

I would torrent logic. Or Jeremy(studio engineer):cool: would prolly give me a copy they have macs they are getting rod prams software that they don't need so he said he would hook me up, but what all does a refurb require?

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Don't admit that you torrent software your thread will be locked. Also if you buy refurb you will have to buy iwork for 79$ also have you considered applecare through amazon it is much cheaper there.

20. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Oh Snap I Didnt Know. I Apologize I Am New,And DLing Software Isnt A Habbit For Me FYI. :p Okay So What If I Added The Cache Onto My Mac. I REALLY Want To Buy It New! Its Been My Dream To Walk Out Of The Mall With A Shiny New Mac! And besides If i Get A Mac They Would Prolly Screw Me Over Saying That It Was MY Fault Something Broke, But I ALWAYS Take Care Of My Computers.

Would The Cache Kill My Battery Life In Anyway? Thats One Of The Stronger Reasons For Me Switching To Mac

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get the refurb; do not steal, especially if you are a business of some sort.

They will not screw you out of anything regardless.

22. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

I Probably Will But If i Can Configure it The Way I Want Ill Prolly Just Buy It new.
    Im Like That I Love BUying Things New :D:apple:

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like saving money, oddly.

24. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

25. stranger danger macrumors member

You don't need a dedicated graphics card. The base 15" should be more than enough for you. If you're working on an external display, just get the base 13" Pro.