I need to organize duplicates, help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ProjectManager101, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ProjectManager101, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

Hi guys.

My boyfriend passed away two years ago. I have the drives with all our stuff and works and there are several back ups of everything. Like the same song 7 times, same videos 4 times and so on. I have some 6 terabites and I am sure I can reduce it to half easy. But I wonder if there is some sort of application that can help me out with that specially with pictures, videos and music. Everything is in a Mac Pro from 2008 with an internal 8TB drive (two 4TB in raid). And I want to get rid of this computers and have everything in one single Thunderbolt drive or something. I do not want to go over everything manually, on one hand it will take for ever but if I leave everything as is I may lose everything if something goes wrong with the raid. Sorry for the previous drama. Thank you.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

I use Gemini to scan my Mac and find duplicate files. It has a beautiful and simple UI. It's easy to use.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I also use gemini. I then have Daisy disk if I want to investigate where the bulk of my files are.

Not sure how they work with RAID.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It sounds like you do not have any backup. The first thing I would do is get everything backed up (which is not simple because you have such a large dataset). I would get two 4 TB stand alone drives and and manually copy about half of the data to one drive, and the other half of your data to the other. While not a true backup... at least you will have a snapshot of all your data.

RAID of any flavor (IMHO) is actually more prone to data loss than single spindle drives. In your case, it appears that you have RAID-0 which is extremely risky.

Assuming you actually care about that data... then I would do the above first, and then worry about de-duplication.

/Jim