i need to vent

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Sep 12, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Old people literally get everything and it is pissing me off. not only are 90% of the YMCA open gym hours, open workout hours, and parking spots devoted to old people, but here in local malls there are hours where only old people can shop and nobody without over a certain age are allowed to shop. handicapped parking is a joke. I honestly consider 90% of the people that use handicapped parking abusing the privledge. They either need to tighten up the requirements or get rid of handicapped parking altogether because honestly fat people need the extra walk. My future tax money is going to old people that do nothing but whine.

Now, I certainly don't think all old people are like this, and I certainly don't want to euthanize them or anything, but the situation of old people is getting ridiculous here in the Twin Cities. Today I went to the Y for open gym for basketball from 3 - 5 and they kicked me out at 4:35 because the old people were "waiting patiently" to use the gym and they didn't want me to hurt anybody.

Anyone feel the same way or am I just being a @($#?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Amen brother.

Also, with all these new anti-smoking laws, we now need to take the smoking section and stuff all the diners with young kids in there so people between 13 and 130 can have a nice meal in peace.

I would start complaining about the hours, or suggest that the local senior center needs their own gym.
    Handicapped spaces do serve a purpose, but Fat people do need to walk.

TEG

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Aw, quit yer *itching. You'll be old someday and come back here and complain about all of the kids out there. ;)

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

In this day and age, age discrimination is growing. Before you say anything, I'm not on your side in this. Age and disabilities effect a lot of people. There are more than just physical handicaps, and the LAW is on their side. Thats why stores are required to provide a certain number of spaces dedicated to them.

When you reach that age, or have a disability, I hope you understand when a younger person gives you a hard time for being give preferential treatment.

Stores are offering the seniors the uninterrupted time shopping, so they are not overwhelmed with younger, more spirited shoppers that tend to jostle them. Be patient, you too will one day be in their shoes.

I'm nearing 50, and I understand now.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Look, those old people fought wars and died for your freedom. Well, not those exact old people, clearly, because dead people don't shop. This has all gone wrong hasn't it :p

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

There may be times when there is clear abuse, but what you may be seeing is the huge number of Americans from the baby boomer generation cashing in on their influence, wealth, and sheer numbers.

I cannot say, as a boomer myself, that it is fair, but I do empathize with what you are going through.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, fair enough.

But basketball, in the Summer???

Go to a playground/school yard near you.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Empathize what the OP is going thru? If this is type of thing is really 'vent-worthy' for the OP I'd consider him/her to be living a pretty charmed life.

Lethal

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

same with how baby boomers have slowly but surely outlawed fireworks yet they could enjoy them growing up

that just burns me up

13. mr.light macrumors 6502

Given everything? Hardly. Let's not even consider that you have everything you do now because of them. I'd say they've earned the privileges that age brings.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

After reading this thread, am I the only one that ends up picturing Jeff Dunham and Walter talking about this? :D

Seriously though, as far as handicapped parking goes, I'm glad to say that I'm in that 10% that don't abuse it. In fact, I don't have a single problem. my wife is blind, and when she takes her guide dog, we most certainly use handicapped parking. One time we didn't, and a policeman actually came up to us as my wife was getting in the car. The cop saw me getting in the driver's seat, but checked the handicap placard, and it didn't match the name on the car registration. So with a ticket already written out in hand (parking illegally in California nets you a $3500 fine and your car towed), the cop came up to me..

Cop: Excuse me, but are you Jane? (names changed here)
    Me: No, I'm not...
    Cop: You do realize you're in a handicap spot with someone else's placard, right?
    Me: Yes.. But While I'm not Jane, my wife is.

I point to her, Jane pulls out her ID, the cop sees it, and walks away pissed off, having to throw that ticket away and blow their quota.

But yes.. I can see what you're saying, but looking down the road some 20 - 30 years, we'll be the ones yelling "get off my lawn!" and get the same flack as we're giving.. Nasty little circle, isn't it?

BL.

15. pooryou macrumors 65816

Never heard of anything like this in my life and I doubt it's legal. That would be age discrimination.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

17. pooryou macrumors 65816

Apparently that article talks about restricting people under 18.
    Pretty different since under 18 you don't have the full rights that an adult has.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ah i see what you mean. i feel the op is not over 18 however

but if there is age discrimination concerning adults over 18, that is wrong

19. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

No they literally have "senior hours" where if you aren't a senior your not allowed to go in. It is ridiculous!

I don't think they should get rid of handicapped parking, but should restrict it a lot more than it is. Just cause someone is a certified obese dude doesn't mean he should be given privileges to get even more fat!

About the bars: why can't they just have bars with no smoking, and some bars for smokers where non-smokers that dont mind and want to enjoy time with their smoker friends can go? Why does it have to be one way?

20. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Funniest post of the day! :p

21. pooryou macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm pretty sure that would qualify as age discrimination, if anyone cares to challenge it in court.

Do they really give handicapped privileges to fat people? Sounds like something from right wing radio to me but who knows.

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

not really , it's one age group allowed in ,gives a more chilled atmosphere ...and when you're older you may or may not prefer that......... they used to do it with swimming pools , maybe they still do you ...adult swim only evenings etc .
    they have under 18's this and that all over the place ...just respect your fellow person while they travel through life , like you

it's all about letting the 'olds' get on with spending money in a more comfortable way.
    I agree.

You will encounter many weird and wonderful 'laws' along your journey

I think some are made up for the fun of it tbh

23. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

That is why you can't have them. :D

When we grew up, they were a little less dangerous, and my parents had to supervise us anyway.

24. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

That's the point though isn't it? I take it the op's idea is that he's not being given any repect if he's summarily rousted from the gym even earlier than the already strange hours so the seniors can go in. I mean after all, it's the seniors who have all the free time, lol, you'd expect them to be the ones fitting their schedules around othe rgroups' not getting the pick of the times. Even the little kids nowadays, if they're older than like seven, they have less free time than their grannies :p Besides, the litmus test is replace seniors and kids by some other group, and you can tell that's discriminatory.

aah there's the rub I think. We're at the stage where the first baby boomers are entering the golden years lol, and there's two things about the boomers: a) they have money (more than both the prvious and the next generations) b) there's lots of them. Soooo. that pretty much tells you all you need to know in terms of who's gonna be having the biggest say.