I need your help guys! - Harddrive Related Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acfusion29, Jan 2, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Alright, so I posted in a few threads saying how I got a 320GB HDD 7200RPM and it was too powerful so it made my laptop vibrate.

I went ahead and returned it for a 400GB 5400RPM. The vibrating went away, however the hard drive started to click! So I checked Western Digital's website to see some trouble shooting and they said it could be a loose cable/faulty cable or a faulty HDD. So I figured it was a faulty harddrive and today exchanged it for a 500GB.

So ... guess what? I put the 500GB in, load all my stuff on it and it starts to click! It also mentioned on the website that it could be corrupted files, but I heard clicking during the Mac OS X installation, so it can't be that. I tried repairing it and everything!

So being the smart person that I am :p (jk guys), I did some thinking. The website did mention that it could be a faulty/loose cable, so I figured... maybe the 7200RPM drive caused a loose/faulty cable? I don't know.. but I took my stock 160GB and plugged that in and it was fine. So just to confirm, I took my brother's blackbook and installed this HDD in it, just to see if it is a faulty/loose cable, and it clicked.

So now I'm ticked off, I've gone thru 3 HDD's. The first one, which was the 7200RPM, was a Scorpio Black. The other two 5400RPM were Scorpio Blue's.

Guys!! Please, I need some help. My friend directed me to an article already regarding these harddrive's which I'm going to read after I post this, however I want your insight as well!

If anyone that has upgraded to the Scorpio Blue 400GB/500GB and has noticed/not noticed this problem, please post. If not, then post if you have anything important to say and not just "you have bad luck dude."

Sorry for the slightly long thread, but I wanted to go into detail to show what the hell I've gone through.

Thanks.

P.S., I'm probably going to go tomorrow to get the Seagate 500GB. Good idea/no?

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I had the clicks with one Wd 320 and a 400gb WD blue. I went and got a samsung 500gb and have not been happier since.

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I get tiny clicks with my HDD. I have a Samsung Spinpoint in fact.

Probably just normal man. Just crank the tunes up and you'll not even notice it.

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It doesn't sound right... every 30 seconds I get a really loud click from my HDD. Can't be normal man.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Define loud. Can you only hear it in a room with very low ambient noise? If that is the case it is perfectly normal and every drive you could possibly put in there will also have the problem. The only solution is to install hdapm to prevent overzealous HDD head parking to save energy in Mac OS X.

6. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Thanks for the advice, but after shoppy's comment, I'm convinced that this is an issue. I will be exchanging it for a Seagate tomorrow and posting my results.

7. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I have had good luck with Seagate Drives, let us know how it turns out.

8. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Thanks:p I have installed Mac OS X about 4 times this week, it's not fun! Btw, I should mention that swapping the harddrive takes less than 2minutes on the new MacBook's.

9. Scratch4 macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I put in a new WD 320gb HD into my new alum. Macbook only to hear faint clicking noises every 10-60 seconds. Although the drive worked well, the noise was so annoying that I put back in the original 160gb Toshiba HD. I've searched the web to find an answer, but I couldn't... no one seemed to have an answer.

Generally, I prefer WD drives, but this time I think I may try a Seagate.

10. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

For me it's not that faint, but it's enough for me to know it's not normal. You know how drive's usually click when accessing data... well it was nothing like that. It was more like a mouse being clicked. Would you agree?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple Care and tell them about it. See what they say and what answers they can provide. If you want a more personal touch, visit your local Apple Store.

That's as much as technical help as you can get. Here, its not that easy to solve many hardware problems without actually looking or touching the problem. In this case hearing/touching around.

12. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The harddrive didn't come from Apple, so I doubt they would help me.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Doesn't matter. Just try them. They might hold the answer. Call first. The worst thing that can happens is say they can't help. Other than that, they won't bite.

14. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I didn't bother calling, I went to the store right in the morning.

I told the guy that it's freggin clicking and he puts it in his Windows computer and formats it as NTFS and it doesn't click... So he wanted to charge me a restocking fee and that's when I asked to speak to a manager. He wasn't there.

So either way, I didn't wanna have this so I was screwed but luckily his manager walked in right when he was refunding it and I'm like "hey... he wants to charge me a restocking fee and I've returned every drive so far because it was defective." The freggin manager then says "well, give him his money back, don't charge a restocking fee but don't let him buy another one"

So I'm like fine :)

I go home, give my dad the money and he went and bought me the 500GB Seagate drive. I installed it this afternoon and it's been working perfectly since. No problems, clicking NOTHING.

Those drives were def. defective and I'm going to call Head Office of that store to complain because that's just stupid, "don't let him buy another drive." Like it's my fault that they were defective? :confused:

But anyways, everything turned out well.

15. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Well I'm glad it turned out for the good. You should be happy with the Seagate drive, I have installed them in a few macbooks, very quiet also