I never used the iPad (3rd gen) camera yet! Have u?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Radio, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Radio macrumors 68000

Lol excuse me - iSight -

Still haven't used this feature.

I don't want to look retarded taking photos with my ipad thx

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the iPad 2 for a whole year and I never once used the rear camera. Used the front one for FaceTime and self portraits.

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I tried it to make sure it worked, but really don't see much use for it.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I tested out the rear camera once to see if it really was as good as reviewers were saying it was. Then I deleted those photos and I haven't used it since. The front camera, on the other hand, I have used. I really wish Apple updated that one instead.

5. Maritan macrumors regular

Not for pictures, but for videos. That was one of the main reasons I bought this version of the iPad - for the improved optics. And it definitely works very, very well.

6. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

What are you waiting for? Use it! No one doubts that walking around with a tablet taking pics is idiotic, but there are a bunch of family/friend moments that are perfect for it.

I've already made several great movies and trailers with iMovie.... Staring my girlfriend and her 2 dogs and my big beast of cat. Friggin hilarious...I almost **** myself.

Well worth the $5 just for the "trailers" feature. SO much fun!!

Used the camera for still pics a few times, but I think I'll be recording vid more than taking pics... though I did purchase iPhoto as well. Pretty darn powerful editing app for 5 bones.

All in all, it's just nice to have decent optics and 1080p recording, as an option.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

What the point of a thread telling others that you haven't used a feature. Kinda pointless. Now I feel like I should pointlessly contribute to this pointless thread.

I haven't used the chinese keyboard yet! Have u?

8. psonice macrumors 6502a

One of the first things I did was take a few test shots (well, I'm a photo/video app developer..)

Actually I was quite blown away by how good the new camera is! Picture quality was very good, resolution is good enough now, detail was good, colour reproduction was not bad, and I even got pretty good depth of field + bokeh in some shots.

The really cool thing though? A 9.7" viewfinder that's so high-res it can nearly show the image at full resolution. The size/shape of the iPad is a big disadvantage, but I think this really makes up for it. It's like holding a large print in your hands while you're taking the shot - for composition and checking focus/exposure etc. it just can't be beaten!

9. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

Rear cam is awesome and I find I'm using it more just messing around the house

It's on par with the iphone4

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I used my new iPad to shoot a few photos of a friend's cat in a fairly dark room with just a lamp illuminating the subject.....and was pleasantly surprised at how well the images came out. Certainly nothing "gallery-quality," but fairly decent nonetheless.

11. bobright macrumors 601

LOL agreed havent took one pic i should to make sure things are ok

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

"I haven't used the camera yet."

Not "I never used the camera yet."

13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I tested it out and took a couple of snaps around the house and then deleted them once I was satisfied it was working.

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I used it once to test it out. But that's it.

15. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I used it once to try it out. Problem is, if a want to take a picture I use my DSLR.
    If I am taking a random snapshot, I have my iPhone in my pocket.

So the only only time I would use my iPad is if it is already out and in my hands.

16. Radio thread starter macrumors 68000

Going to test the Chinese keyboard out!

Seriously the camera is a feature that apple touts so it's a big deal when most people don't use it.

:slap:

17. ifudge macrumors member

PHP:
    Awesome upgrade - worth it alone for making the jump from the iPad 2.

Your wife/husband/father/mother/signifcant other says, "Hey, I need this IRS document copied and faxed to my accountant. Can you take this over to Staples and get it done?"

Whip out the iPad, get a clear image of it, do any editing you need to right on the iPad, and then email it to the accountant. Yes, I could do this with an iPhone, but the image is tiny and it would be more difficult to edit it. While it could reach my iPad via the Cloud, why take the extra time?

How about a photo of your license or an i.d. card in case you somehow are dumb enough to lose your iPad? Snap a photo of said license or i.d. card right on the iPad, and put it on the home page.

By the way, although I use Nikons and Panasonics (and my iPhone), I wouldn't use my iPad for nature or travel photography. None-the-less, I could, and franking, I find it's easy to hold, with the "shutter" release easy to reach.

As for the OP, anything else you haven't tried that I should know about? I don't want to use something on my iPad, only to discover it's useless and makes me look like the dork I am. :eek:

18. eq2675 macrumors regular

Just a real quick picture. No special lighting and the picture has been down sized for uploading.

[​IMG]

19. Radio thread starter macrumors 68000

20. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Used it a couple times around the house to check it out. I don't plan on using it too often because it feels odd taking a photo with a big tablet. It will be fun for family gatherings though.

However, I wish they upgraded the front camera.

21. Advil macrumors 6502a

wow i hadn't even thought about the camera on this thing til right now. i had an iPad 2 for a full year and never used it once. I used the front camera loads of times for facetime/skype and photobooth though.

22. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

Sample pic I took last night. Love the Depth Of Field.

[​IMG]

23. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have my GH2 when I want shoot great video and stills. I have my 4S for candids and off the cuff stuff.

I really only see using the iPads back camera to show somebody in a FaceTime chat the other angle.

Pointless really.

24. MultiFinder17, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I generally use my 4S as my primary camera, but the new iPad has come in handy a few times. Having another decent camera that can be refocused is rather nice. It makes it much easier to take a picture of the phone, or for taking pictures when I'm around the house and don't have my phone with me :)

For those of you wondering (or not), that's the original iPhone dock. It still works just peachily with the 4S, just as it did with my 3GS and original back in the yesteryears.

Attached Files:

25. urkel macrumors 68030

I don't care about how I look when taking a picture, I care about the photo I end up with. So with the new iPad I was pretty open minded towards using it as a camera IF the opportunity arose. It just seems incredible to take a photo, work on it in iPhoto and then publish online/display on the retina screen.

Unfortunately that won't happen. First off, its actually the iPhone 4 camera and not the 4S. But more importantly I tried the new camera and once again people are overhyping the quality by ONLY referencing shots taken outdoors in optimal natural lighting situations. Yes, you can take an amazing picture of a meadow at noon, but the more practical situation for taking an iPad photo is indoors and the quality ends up being very grainy and poor.

So while I appreciate it has a camera, (IMO) it still isn't good enough to use if you have an iPhone. An the end I really wish this was the front camera because I'd be more likely to FaceTime than take a picture with it.