Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Even if it's only the glass that is broken, the entire screen portion (including the glass, LCD screen and the aluminum casing) is replaced, as it is all stuck together as one part. So your computer will have not only a new glass panel, but the entire top portion of the computer will be new as well. When you factor in the total parts replaced (which is not just the glass panel), and the cost of labor, it is substantially more than the price of a $40 part from eBay.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
The upper portion itself can't be worth $800. How much profit are they making when they sell it for $800? I'm guessing at most $200? $300?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Screens are actually very expensive. Anytime you order replacement screens for newer laptops the price is always that high, even straight from a manufacturer.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Should've just bought an external or saved for an entirely new computer.

yes I know but my mother went ahead and made the stupid deal even when i told her not to with the exact same reasons you listed except i said that i could instead buy a whole new windows computer for $300 which is much less that $800 to fix the minor damage.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Demand money for what? They aren't obliged to match Ebay prices. Plus, as others have stated, you need to replace the whole display assembly + labor. You wouldn't be able to exchange the glass piece just like that.

You can't expect them to refund you and take a loss, or somehow find the broken screen, and reinstall it for you.

Next time something like that happens, just sell the computer on ebay and buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.