I ordered a MacBook not a BlackBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyBowley, Feb 1, 2008.

1. JonnyBowley macrumors member

Hi!

First time switcher today, hooray! However, my experience is somewhat... interesting!

I ordered a 2.2 SR MacBook plus AppleCare with the UK Edu discount... but received a 2.2 SR Blackbook instead. Seems they charged me for the MacBook shipped me the Blackbook...

First thought - "sell it on eBay and then buy the correct one, thus saving money..."

But, the g/f persuaded me to ring Apple and "do the right thing". So I did. They wanted it back, obviously. I explained to them that had I not rung, I would have been able to execute my previous plan and would be better off financially.

Doesn't it pay to be honest?!

The agent then offered to credit me £60 to my card and said a new one was on it's way, so I just have to RMA the old one.

Hurray! Have to wait til next week for the new Macbook though!

And, my 4GB ram kit arrived today from Crucial! Cannot wait to get down to business...

Peace

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats on listening to your girlfriend and doing the right thing. It was nice to see Apple credit you some money back as well.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. kudos to you for doing the right thing.

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I probably would have just kept it, but you did the right thing. Good for you.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's honesty like this that shows why Apple does not do online validation of software.

I personally would not have entertained the idea of selling the black mb but instead rather keep it. Only reason I got the white for the wife was of the black tax.

However, thinking back, the white is/was a better choice due to the black just showing any and all dirt/smudges/scratches (if any) plus the white really brings out the color on her spek case.

Good show doing the right thing!

6. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Heh...you're a better person than me. There's no way I would have not kept a free upgrade!

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, seriously.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So that's considered an upgrade then ?

So when micheal jackson changed colour he was just downgrading ... ;)

9. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I don't think there was any legal obligation to return the goods, either. It was a mistake on their part, not your part, and thus you should have been able to keep it regardless.

10. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. I guess I would have probably kept it, even though I'm not sure I like the matte black any better. Thanks for sharing your story, you don't hear things like this happening.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Larger hard drive in the Blackbook. That's certainly and upgrade.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Depends on where you live. I think you don't have the legal obligation to tell Apple about it, but you would have to return it if they figure it out.

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I was expecting this thread to be about you ordering a standard rather than black MacBook in the excitement and how to return it. Turns out, we all learn a lesson on the right thing to do which is no bad thing :rolleyes:
    I woulda kept it ;)

14. DCSMAC macrumors member

yea this reminds me of when they had the book battery recall. i sent in my recalled battery, and got two fresh ones without being charged. :D

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Marry her!!!! ( when the time is right! :D )

She'll be your personal 'moral compass'.

Congrats for doing what we all know was the right thing to do!!!

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Ya mean the both came to you DEAD? :D :D :D :D :D

17. dmb3886 macrumors regular

18. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

You did the right thing by informing Apple of their mistake. They did the very uncommon thing by crediting your card for your honesty. Look on the credit as good karma. I am not sure about the UK, but here in the US of A, Apple could have asked you to return it and charged your card for the difference if you did not. There is no free lunch. I applaud your honesty. Enjoy your new MacBook! :cool:

19. moik macrumors newbie

moik

A couple of years ago I ordered a Palm Tungsten T5 from Overstock.com. The sent me three and charged me for one.

I was tempted to keep or sell the extra two, but I pretty quickly decided to try to return them. I called a couple of times and the process was so unpleasant and complicated - I don't think they understood I was just trying to return some extra units - and they were real dicks about it, sending me forms to fill out, etc.

Anyway, I then realized that all three were defective! Only one would charge up if you left it plugged in all weekend. The other two were D.O.A.

It is as if the person shipping them knew they were junk and only one out of three would even turn on, so sent me three.

Then - about a month later they sent me an apologetic email and a gift certificate! I decided there was nothing I wanted from that schizophrenic company.

m

20. one1 macrumors 65816

Thay'd have bill you for it somehow. I suppose you headed off the bad karma ahead of time.

21. dtklamf macrumors regular

businesses make shipping mistakes all the time the worlds an imperfect place ...

22. JonnyBowley thread starter macrumors member

Heh, yeah. S'good to know Apple appreciated my honesty. The £60 credit was for "any inconvenience caused", which is brilliant customer service in my opinion!

Most of my accessories have already arrived. My RAM is sitting on the bookcase. All I need now is to find is a decent screen protector so that when my baby gets here, I can keep her as shiny as possible for as long as possible.

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Kudos to you for listening to your (girlfriends :p ) conscience and doing 'the right thing'.

:)

24. XTRanger macrumors member

25. JonnyBowley thread starter macrumors member