I ordered my Mac Pro today...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WardC, Jul 19, 2010.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Well, I finally decided to give in and get my Mac Pro today. I had an Apple gift card from the return of a faulty 27" iMac unit, so I decided to go with the Mac Pro now. I found a great refurbished 2.93GHz Quad unit on the Apple Store online, and I decided to purchase some upgrades from OWC. I am adding 16GB of RAM, a 120GB SSD, and 2x1TB Hard Drives that I plan to setup for a RAID 0 array. I have confidence that my machine will scream. Since I am getting the 2.93GHz one, I don't think there will be any need to upgrade the processor to the W3580 right now, as I had previously inquired about. Also, I am not yet sure what I am going to do about the video card. It ships with the stock GT 120, but if performance is too lackluster, I might decide to upgrade to the 4870 (probably get a used one on eBay). I found this machine for $2,549.00 on the Apple Store refurb site, and I'm adding $1140 worth of upgrades (from OWC) to it, so roughly a $3700 system out of my pocket, which would have cost me over $5200 if I had confirgured it new on the Apple Store site!! So at least I am saving quite a bit of money this way, and still getting a fast machine! I look forward to getting my new Mac Pro...it should arrive by Friday, or next Monday at the latest. Finally, I'm getting my Mac Pro!!

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Congratulations on wasting money for 16 month old technology just before an update.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you buy those 'upgrades' from Apple? Please tell me no. Say no, if you said yes, you got shafted, hard.

click me bro

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Its his choice. If I had to order then Id go with the cheapest refurb. He's getting it lower than what we paid for years ago.
    I have to wait till new ones come :(
    Its in the company budget and it stipulates new models not old :p
    Tic Toc.....

As long as he's happy :)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is it impossible for you to post something nice or useful?

"I decided to purchase some upgrades from OWC"

Congrats OP! That machine is a beast though I would have waited till the update. However, you may be able to upgrade to W36xx in the future so you're not totally outdated :cool:

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Maybe he needed a computer. So when is the update, since you know its right before? People have been saying this for months.

OP says he bought it from OWC.

If you need a computer, then you need one. Some people don't have the luxury of waiting.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It was a wall of text, I just read he bought a Mac Pro and some upgrades...

8. mism macrumors member

Congratulations WardC, I'll be joining you tomorrow if there's no update.

People will call us stupid but life is too short to spend it waiting on Apple.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Please read before you post. If you do not read before you post, it makes you seem like an extremely ignorant person... Just saying...

10. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

congrats on the new machine, load her up and put to work.

11. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Well, I am still excited that I am finally getting one. I have been waiting for 2 weeks for Apple to add some more refurb units so I could buy one (I was not paying out the ass for a new one). Also, like I said, I am getting all my upgrades from OWC and not getting "shafted" from Apple for the expensive upgrades. Also, Apple doesn't even offer an SSD upgrade which I am getting.

So the machine will be the following specs:

2.93GHz Quad-Core Xeon X3540
    16GB RAM *from OWC
    120GB SSD for Boot and Apps w/Icy Dock
    2x1TB HD for RAID 0 array for media files
    640GB stock HD for Windows/Bootcamp
    nVidia GT 120 (which I may upgrade later)

I could have gotten the 2.66GHz machine for $2149 and upgraded the processor myself (a $600 upgrade from eBay to W3580), but the $400 upgrade price for the 2.93GHz already installed was just too attractive to pass up. I think it will be more than fast enough for everything I need, and I didn't need an 8-core machine because I never really run Pro apps or need 8 cores for serious rendering apps. They had an 8-core 2.93GHz model up today on the refurb site for $4999, but it went fast. I do a little iMovie and iPhoto and Photoshop on the side, but that's about it. And, I run Photoshop CS3 which doesn't even take advantage of 4 cores.

I think the SSD upgrade will be the biggest factor in speed improvement on this machine, along with the 16GB of RAM. Once I get Snow Leopard installed on the SSD and install my memory, the system should absolutely fly. I've scoured the Geekbench results comparing systems, and this machine is roughly 15% faster than the fastest iMac (2.8GHz i7), while the 2.66GHz machine is roughly 10% slower. Plus, it's pretty hard to install an SSD on an iMac, and in the Mac Pro installation is a breeze.

This should be a big improvement over my 2.26GHz Mac Mini and my 2.4GHz MacBook Pro, no doubt. I plan to hook the Mac Pro to my 23" Cinema Display, which I have had since 2006. It's a great display, bright, sharp, and vivid, and still running strong. I might not need to upgrade the video card since I don't game much and the max resolution I will be running is 1920x1200. Any suggestions? How does the GT120 really perform? Is it ample for watching fullscreen 1080p video? Would a Radeon 4870 or a GTX 285 really improve my video playback at this resolution, or would the GT120 work just fine for everything I need? Thanks.

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Haha well we know what their missing out on ;)
    Seriously I hope something happens soon.
    My budget is good till next Feb 2011 but Id like to do all this along with the CS5 upgrade.
    This way I can waste a whole month fixing the bugs ;)

13. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I don't blame you. I'm about to buy as well. The whiners are just jealous that others are capable of making a decision (not to play this stupid waiting game).

14. mism macrumors member

I question the decision all the time but its important to put it into perspective. Buying a new Mac isn't just about Ghz or Cores or USB3 or even value for money. Its about being able to get on with work, launch myself as a 3D artist / freelancer confident that I have the tools to do the job, not just hope that my current set up gets me through.
    And who knows, I may earn enough in the time it takes Apple to update the Mac Pro to buy a second machine, then I'll be on my way to a render farm :D

15. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

My biggest secret that you all don't know about...

This is actually going to be my THIRD Mac Pro. I had a Mac Pro 1,1 2.66GHz dual processor model in 2006, and I sold it to buy a MacBook Pro (didn't lose any money). I then missed having the Mac Pro and purchased a refurb 3.0GHz Quad core Woodcrest model in 2007. I sold that a few months later after deciding that it was simply too much computer for me. I have been using my MacBook Pro as my main computer for the last 3 years, alongside a 23" Apple Cinema Display. Once again, I've been missing having a dedicated desktop computer and I decided I wanted a Mac Pro again. This time I plan to keep it and not sell this one on eBay anytime soon. This should last me at least 2-3 years if not more. So, most people here don't know that I've actually owned two Mac Pros before buying this one today. It was just too much computer for me at the time, but now I want a desktop again and I had to make the move....3 years and everyday I've been missing having a Mac Pro.

16. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Congrats man!

Welcome aboard!! Anytime you need a w3580, let me know and I can have Matt at Velocity Micro put one on hold for you.. it is 599, but well worth the upgrade from a 2.93 though.

I had a 2.66, and couldn't bear that speed.. so now I am running 3.33.

17. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

here's what I don't get:
    what the hell is apple waiting for?
    Switch to AMD opteron 12 cores.
    Bang 2 of them into a rig.
    Give use some decent vid and ram options
    and poof... we've got a monster 24-core machine at 1/3 the cost of Apple's current high end.

I mean wtf!!!!! Apple sitting there rotting is just stinking up the place.

18. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Well, that's why I went with a refurb and got my upgrades from OWC...I am trying to get the best machine (be it an actual Mac), get the best performance out of it possible, and pay the least amount. Going Hackintosh was not an option for me...I am not going to fool around with getting all my components to register correctly and function without problems. So, going for an Apple refurb and getting my upgrade components from OWC I saved about $2000. It was worth it, I think so.

19. Roman23 macrumors 6502

in case you wondering..

My refurb 2.66 was only 2199.99, but to my surprise it came with the following not found on the stock models:

instead of 3GB, I got 6GB memory
    instead of 640GB drive, I got a western digital 2GB drive/ w 32MB cache.

And of course the updated firmware of B08 which could include the microcode for the B1 processors.. who knows?

Strange enough - none of the mac pro audio or firmware updates worked on my computer.. again, B08. WHats yours?

20. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Don't know yet, I ordered today, it will be delivered either Friday or Monday. I got the Next Day shipping, I didn't want to wait an extra week for it. But, still, they quote me as 3-5 days to ship from the time I ordered it. I ordered at like 11:45 this morning.

21. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Let me know the specs..

What I am asking is let me know if you got lucky with 6GB of memory and a 2TB drive..

the GT120 I wouldn't bother with.. Ugh! I hate that card so much..

22. Roman23 macrumors 6502

And this is the SINGLE-QUAD core 2.93, right?

You didn't say if it was the two or one processor.

23. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Well, they had a 2.93GHz refurb with 6GB of RAM and a 1TB drive, a Radeon 4870 and two SuperDrives for $2999, but I got the 3GB RAM model with the 640GB drive and the GT120, planning to upgrade everything myself...I paid $2549 for my system.

It's the Quad, not the 8-core.

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-stated above, it's the W3540 2.93GHz Single Quad-Core config.

24. Roman23 macrumors 6502

But, its refurb, right?

Then you might have gotten lucky, thus you might then have: 6GB and 1TB or 2TB drive already in there.. What I am interested in though is the boot rom firmware...

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Why did you order on the eve of a Tuesday? :confused:

Could you have not waited at least a few more hours?