Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Paul Job

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I thought it was what I wanted. I love the iPod and stuff (hence the username...I think Steve is so sexy! hehe).

I've had it for four months now. It was a late Christmas gift.
The thing is terrible. I'm used to the functionality and user-friendly interface of Windows and messing with that OSX junk just makes it hard to get anything done.
I wanted to play some games on my new computer and found out...they don't make any games for these things. wtf right?
So then I get told I can install Windows on it if I wanted to. So, despite the fact that this makes no sense to me (why did my parents pay all that money for this thing if I'm going to buy and install Windows anyway?), but I did it. So I can play games...but only when I boot out of the other OS. Too bad its like the default...anymore I just ALWAYS boot into windows.

So then I think my new computer needs more RAM because it doesn't play games from like four years ago that my three year-old WINDOWS desktop handles just fine....WHY DOES APPLE OVERCHARGE SO MUCH FOR RAM?

Anyway, to pile on my feeling of being ripped off with this thing, I did some research and searching and I found a laptop on a site called "newegg" that had great reviews, even better stats than my Macbook and it was like $400 cheaper!

Ugh...anyone else feel this way?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Hold down the Alt (Option) key during bootup. You should be able to select the start up volume from there.

You're just used to Windows. You need to take the time and learn how to use OS X.
I've never owned a Windows based computer, only Mac OS ones. In work I find it tedious to use Windows because I don't know enough about it.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Apple does indeed overcharge for RAM. Never buy that from them.

I think you're expecting OS X to function like Windows does. It doesn't. You have to find new ways to do things. Sometimes, it's easier. Sometimes it isn't. There's tradeoffs both ways.

There is a small selection of games for Mac, but that's not what they were made for. Everyone here will agree, if you're truly a gamer, Windows is the better option.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Many here would debate what you call "OSX junk". Maybe it is junk because you aren't used to it or know what you are doing?

Macs have never been known as a gaming platform. Don't know what to tell you there.

Apple doesn't gouge for RAM anymore on their MacBooks. Prices are on par with places like Crucial. That is just an uninformed comment.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Nope

You've be brainwashed into thinking that a fcked up UI is how computing should be.

You've been brainwashed into thinking **** like Genuine DisAdvantage is acceptable.

You've been brainwashed to think that paying the Anti-Virus tax will keep your computer safe.

Gaming is easy

Playstation or Xbox

Computing is easy

Macintosh.

Steven Paul Job

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
But what about when I want to play games on my computer?

I don't have enough money for an xbox or playstation because my parents spent all their money on that macbook thing i hardly ever use anymore.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have no issues with people not liking Apple products, but, to be honest, the OP comes across as a bit trollish. Let's see how the OP's next few posts turn out before spending too much time replying here, yeah?

LCRadical

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
one could argue you should have made an educated purchase by researching your needs before running out and buying a laptop you didnt need

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
But what about when I want to play games on my computer?

I don't have enough money for an xbox or playstation because my parents spent all their money on that macbook thing i hardly ever use anymore.

Hang tight SP.

Bootcamp is going to get a lot better with Snow Leopard. You just got a couple of months to wait. Then U can get ur game on.

Switching to Macs isn't easy. You get used to one way of doing things and then you have to learn another. We'll take you under our wing and get ur Mac cherry popped.

Steven Paul Job

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Then I guess you'll have to stop playing games.

This is what I was afraid of. Buying that Macbook has ruined all that potential fun for me.

I get why some of you guys like them...I mean, if all you're doing is hopping around the internet and typing up thesis statements it works just fine but they aren't for REAL computer users in my opinion.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
This is what I was afraid of. Buying that Macbook has ruined all that potential fun for me.

I get why some of you guys like them...I mean, if all you're doing is hopping around the internet and typing up thesis statements it works just fine but they aren't for REAL computer users in my opinion.
Like the other guy said, just hang tight. Because one day you can pop your MacBook's cherry and a world of fun-filled adventure will be unlocked for you.

And you have a tight-knit community that will support you all the way.

TeeRav1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
Houston, TX
I am sorry that you feel this way. I have had my first MacBook for 4 days now and I absolutely love it. I can't believe how easy it is to use and how quickly I am able to get things done. I understand your complaints about the gaming, but that is not what the MacBook is designed to do, and personally I have a 360 for that. The MacBook makes everyday tasks so much easier and it just makes sense when I use it. It has me thinking "Why doesn't Windows do something like that?" all the time. So I am sorry that you haven't had a good experience in 4 months, but if you haven't figured out how to use OS X in that amount of time, I dont think you ever will.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I thought it was what I wanted. I love the iPod and stuff (hence the username...I think Steve is so sexy! hehe).

I've had it for four months now. It was a late Christmas gift.
The thing is terrible. I'm used to the functionality and user-friendly interface of Windows and messing with that OSX junk just makes it hard to get anything done.
I wanted to play some games on my new computer and found out...they don't make any games for these things. wtf right?
So then I get told I can install Windows on it if I wanted to. So, despite the fact that this makes no sense to me (why did my parents pay all that money for this thing if I'm going to buy and install Windows anyway?), but I did it. So I can play games...but only when I boot out of the other OS. Too bad its like the default...anymore I just ALWAYS boot into windows.

So then I think my new computer needs more RAM because it doesn't play games from like four years ago that my three year-old WINDOWS desktop handles just fine....WHY DOES APPLE OVERCHARGE SO MUCH FOR RAM?

Anyway, to pile on my feeling of being ripped off with this thing, I did some research and searching and I found a laptop on a site called "newegg" that had great reviews, even better stats than my Macbook and it was like $400 cheaper!

Ugh...anyone else feel this way?

You bought a Macbook to game? LOL

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
dude...are you kidding me?

I've owned my aluminum macbook for some time now as well, and I love it to death. Have you not noticed that yours is made of aluminum while everyone else's is ****** plastic? Have you not noticed the money you save not having to purchase anti virus software? Have you not noticed how ****ing gorgeous a computer you have?

You also need to learn to be smarter with your money...buying a MacBook for gaming was a terrible idea, and paying for windows when the win7 beta is free was also not a good idea.

If you really want a ****** windows laptop, I'll take that MacBook off your hands for $500 :D

Nager

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
lol you are just some 14 year old kid who's parents bought a laptop for and you whine and complain because it can't play games... learn to do some research before you buy something and stop flaunting your ignorance. People need to refrain from making stupid posts with no thought.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009

And here emerges the troll...

Sorry you had to find out about macs and games the hard way, but yep thats the way it is. Since ~90% of the market is PC it wouldn't be a financially savvy option for game makers to focus on the mac platform. However some of the more popular games emerge for folks like me :)

But you got a mac w/o ever trying out the UI? Why??? Since I am assuming you are young...
1. test drive your first car
2. visit colleges before you decide to go there
3. don't insult OS X on mac rumors, all you'll end up doing is stepping on feet :p

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I saw this statement on another thread last week or something. It was really good, and it went something like...

You have to remember, XP probably runs better on your ~2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook with 1-2GB of RAM because it's an 8-year-old OS that was made when a computer with an 800MHz Pentium III and 128MB RAM was hot stuff.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Wow I haven't heard anyone say Windows XP was user-friendly in a long time. LOL, thanks for the laugh.
I like how if you don't find something user-friendly, then it must not be user-friendly for anyone else on the planet.

I like how it's your way or the highway, apparently. Thanks for the laugh.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I think the OP needs to understand that there is a learning curve. Most people can't just hop from Windows to OS X and be a pro at it without making an effort to learn it.

panzaman

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
guys...please ignore that Steven Paul Jobs post, is obviously a windows user trying to create havoc and flames in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.