Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
So I know there are many threads on this but after reading all/most of them, I'm still undecided.

I have a 32GB 5s (Verizon) that I'd like to upgrade soon.

My primary reasons are running out of storage, and iOS upgrade limitation.

Most important to me are:

1- Smallest size, lowest weight (XS wins)
2- Sharpest screen (XS wins)
3- Mid range storage (XS, with 256GB)

It looks easy so far, but I keep reading about the less than perfect radio/modem in the XS that results in lower signal strength and more dropped calls than the previous radio/modem.

I normally get 4G service and 3-4 bars on at home and 2-3 bars (mostly 2) at work. From what I've read, that will likely get worse with the newer radio/modems.

I don't know if the XR would be any better (can't find the tech specs now) but cellular connection is very important to me too.

I've even read that some think the next round of phones will have a different (better) radio/modem like the older 5s (and I think 6 and 7's) had.

I don't want to buy a new iPhone and have the signal strength be so bad that I drop connections or have bad call quality and stalled internet pages at work or home.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd buy the XS and test it out for the 2 week return period Apple and the carriers usually have. If it doesn't meet your needs, then return it and try the XR.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I know there are many threads on this but after reading all/most of them, I'm still undecided.

I have a 32GB 5s (Verizon) that I'd like to upgrade soon.

My primary reasons are running out of storage, and iOS upgrade limitation.

Most important to me are:

1- Smallest size, lowest weight (XS wins)
2- Sharpest screen (XS wins)
3- Mid range storage (XS, with 256GB)

It looks easy so far, but I keep reading about the less than perfect radio/modem in the XS that results in lower signal strength and more dropped calls than the previous radio/modem.

I normally get 4G service and 3-4 bars on at home and 2-3 bars (mostly 2) at work. From what I've read, that will likely get worse with the newer radio/modems.

I don't know if the XR would be any better (can't find the tech specs now) but cellular connection is very important to me too.

I've even read that some think the next round of phones will have a different (better) radio/modem like the older 5s (and I think 6 and 7's) had.

I don't want to buy a new iPhone and have the signal strength be so bad that I drop connections or have bad call quality and stalled internet pages at work or home.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Seems you’re slightly convinced on the XS as it is. The many differential for the XR is the battery life. If the battery life is more crucial to your experience over the other features you listed in your post, then the XR is what I would opt for.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I’m a “techie” that upgrades every year. This year I upgraded when the Max came out though I kept telling myself to wait for the Xʀ... well I didn’t and wasted $1500 because I also got the Xʀ when it was released and have not used my Max one day since...

I upgrade YEARLY. The Xʀ has a battery that goes 2 days. The screen size is a sweet spot...

Neither one will be “bad”... the Xʀ is just 90% of the features at 75% of cost. It’s more cost “efficient”

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
i went from 5s to XR

1) weight & size: coming from 5s, i struggled with both initially (i get to use both because my dad has XS and needs help from time to time). obviously it is slightly harder with XR, but i have really small hands.

2) screen: i dont call myself a techie, but i know the differences between iphone models and can hold a conversation about their specs and features. i dont watch media or play games, but i didnt really notice any difference between the screens. you will probably see a difference if you put them side by side, but what im saying is, at least for me, i didnt get the feeling that "oh my screen is worse" after using XS

3) storage: XR also offers 256 gb. personally i think if you are using 32gb right now, going to 256gb might be overkill if you dont have a lot of media that you want to upload

4) reception: im not from the US. i have many friends and family using XS/Max and XR. none of them had any problems

5) price: buying XR was a easy decision for me because there were huge discounts compared to XS. in fact, it was worth it to buy XR from the teleco, sell it, then buy a brand new XS

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
I'd buy the XS and test it out for the 2 week return period Apple and the carriers usually have. If it doesn't meet your needs, then return it and try the XR.

That's what I'd end up doing, however after reading more about this:

https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-mostly-fail-to.html

I'm starting to think XR instead.

The problem is that I've compared XR and XS side-by-side at Verizon, and the text in the XR is slightly soft/fuzzy compared to the XS (which is razor sharp).

It's like I'd be downgrading the screen quality of my 5s (which is also razor sharp to me).
[doublepost=1553642908][/doublepost]
Seems you’re slightly convinced on the XS as it is. The many differential for the XR is the battery life. If the battery life is more crucial to your experience over the other features you listed in your post, then the XR is what I would opt for.

Battery life isn't too important unless it's less than my 5s. It regularly has about 30-50% left at the end of the night so it goes on charge every day.
[doublepost=1553642977][/doublepost]
Gps seems to be off with xr

Hopefully there are no issues with GPS on either phone. I use it several times a month.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
i went from 5s to XR

1) weight & size: coming from 5s, i struggled with both initially (i get to use both because my dad has XS and needs help from time to time). obviously it is slightly harder with XR, but i have really small hands.

2) screen: i dont call myself a techie, but i know the differences between iphone models and can hold a conversation about their specs and features. i dont watch media or play games, but i didnt really notice any difference between the screens. you will probably see a difference if you put them side by side, but what im saying is, at least for me, i didnt get the feeling that "oh my screen is worse" after using XS

3) storage: XR also offers 256 gb. personally i think if you are using 32gb right now, going to 256gb might be overkill if you dont have a lot of media that you want to upload

4) reception: im not from the US. i have many friends and family using XS/Max and XR. none of them had any problems

5) price: buying XR was a easy decision for me because there were huge discounts compared to XS. in fact, it was worth it to buy XR from the teleco, sell it, then buy a brand new XS

I'm totally with you on the size. If I could get a new X (whatever) in the SE size I'd be all over it. That said, I'm also a feature geek so I welcome all the new features. I, like you am not into watching media or playing games on it.

256GB is a little overkill but I always like that when it comes to memory or HD space (I tend to have tons of apps & pics).

The thing that still has me concerned is the signal strength of the new phones.
[doublepost=1553643772][/doublepost]
The XR definitely shouldn’t be fuzzy compared to a 5s. Mine looks great.

Thanks. I plan to make several more trips to the Verizon & Apple stores to peruse and pick brains. I will compare them again.

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
256GB is a little overkill but I always like that when it comes to memory or HD space (I tend to have tons of apps & pics).

The thing that still has me concerned is the signal strength of the new phones.

if you transfer your photos from camera roll to your computer/laptop then sync them back to your iphone, the storage required is greatly reduced. this is because apple compressed the photos when syncing, but your originals are safely backed up on your computer/laptop. i personally dont think you can have that many gb of app, but i maybe wrong.

if signal strength is the no 1 concern, then get XR, although you can always get a refund if the XS has problems and then get XR

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
7FC1FB74-A3B1-467A-883D-824125E07725.png
That's what I'd end up doing, however after reading more about this:

https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-mostly-fail-to.html

I'm starting to think XR instead.

The problem is that I've compared XR and XS side-by-side at Verizon, and the text in the XR is slightly soft/fuzzy compared to the XS (which is razor sharp).

It's like I'd be downgrading the screen quality of my 5s (which is also razor sharp to me).
[doublepost=1553642908][/doublepost]

Battery life isn't too important unless it's less than my 5s. It regularly has about 30-50% left at the end of the night so it goes on charge every day.
[doublepost=1553642977][/doublepost]

Hopefully there are no issues with GPS on either phone. I use it several times a month.
For what’s its worth, nothing wrong with signals on the max. Apple corrected whatever there was to be corrected.

Reactions: russell_314

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
if you transfer your photos from camera roll to your computer/laptop then sync them back to your iphone, the storage required is greatly reduced. this is because apple compressed the photos when syncing, but your originals are safely backed up on your computer/laptop. i personally dont think you can have that many gb of app, but i maybe wrong.

if signal strength is the no 1 concern, then get XR, although you can always get a refund if the XS has problems and then get XR

I get what you're saying and I could do that, but I normally don't use photos. I stopped several years ago when I learned that the Mac would actually store TWO of every picture (taking up double the HD space).

I primarily use Lightroom for organizing my images.

I also use a Canon 5D MkII DSLR for important pics, which is why the iPhone camera is not as big a deal for me as it's mostly used for snapshots.

I know I can return the XS within 14 days, but I'd rather not pay that steep restocking fee. I know it's better than the alternative however.

naturalguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
Ive never had a dropped call with the Xs, it's an all around better device, if budget is a concern then go with the Xr that is what it was designed as the budget version of the Xs

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
View attachment 828740
For what’s its worth, nothing wrong with signals on the max. Apple corrected whatever there was to be corrected.

So at my location (2-3 bars on VZW LTE) I'm averaging less than 20 down.

IMG_5911.PNG

Also, I'm not at all interested in any Max version. I prefer smallest available. Back in the 90's I chose a Motorola micro-tac light (about $700) instead of the standard, less expensive micro tac as I wanted the most portable mainstream phone I could get.
[doublepost=1553733497][/doublepost]
Ive never had a dropped call with the Xs, it's an all around better device, if budget is a concern then go with the Xr that is what it was designed as the budget version of the Xs

Yes, it's poor call quality/dropped calls, frozen/slowed browsing that I'm most concerned with. It's not a budget thing (although $1100+ for an iPhone is getting a little ridiculous). I'm just not the type that wants to upgrade every year/phone. I try to buy the best/smallest/latest and use it for as long as it's convenient. I've had my 5s for almost 5 years.

Last edited:

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
I know I can return the XS within 14 days, but I'd rather not pay that steep restocking fee. I know it's better than the alternative however.

im not saying that it's ok to get the XS because you can return. im saying there is only a small risk of bad reception (never even heard a whisper in my country and things have definitely gotten better since release) but in the event that you are really unlucky, you can still return. if this risk is still too high for you (something we cannot decide for you) then get the XR or X.

as for the bars, i realised that it doesnt really mean much. my XR is perpetually 3 out of 4 bars, but reception is as good as my previous iphones. if i recall correctly from the iphone 4 reception saga, the bars indicate signal strength, but doesnt necessary require max bars to have good reception. Rather, this is dependent on how apple made their phones. e.g. 3/5 bars may already indicate good reception, while 5/5 is just extra.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m a “techie” that upgrades every year. This year I upgraded when the Max came out though I kept telling myself to wait for the Xʀ... well I didn’t and wasted $1500 because I also got the Xʀ when it was released and have not used my Max one day since...

I upgrade YEARLY. The Xʀ has a battery that goes 2 days. The screen size is a sweet spot...

Neither one will be “bad”... the Xʀ is just 90% of the features at 75% of cost. It’s more cost “efficient”
Wait what? Do you just have money to burn? LOL.... I did the same buying an XS Max and felt pretty confident about my decision especially with all the negative hype that came out right after the XR release. Then I saw one in person and put my XS Max next to it.... I could have spent $400 less on the XR. Don't get me wrong I love my XS Max but I would love $400 extra in my pocket more.

As to the OP if you want the smaller phone get the XS. Put both in your hand. I have a feeling that the XR might be too big and trying to save a few bucks for a phone that doesn't feel right to you is probably a bad choice. Unless money is tight though then you have to do what you have to do. As to the signal strength I have had zero issues with my XS Max coming from a 7 Plus so not sure if I'm just lucky?

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
Ok, I went to a different Verizon store tonight.

It turns out the XR on display had MUCH BETTER text (when looking at websites).

I also noticed that it had this text magnification feature that the XS does NOT have.

I REALLY started to like the XR... I just wish it wasn't so huge (and heavy). I feel like it's so big and heavy that I might regret it just due to being cumbersome (and making my pants constantly fall down :()

That said, the monthly cost is what's making me want to just do it and deal with the size/weight.

Quick question for those that know...

I thought I'd read that the speed of the face recognition feature was increased/improved on the XS. Was that over the speed of the X or over the speed of the XR?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Quick question for those that know...

I thought I'd read that the speed of the face recognition feature was increased/improved on the XS. Was that over the speed of the X or over the speed of the XR?

Face recognition on the XS vs. XR is the same. I own both.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I skipped the XS because I wanted the largest screen possible and I've got that with the Max. I'd probably choose an XS over an XR though. I waited though and got the XR as I wanted an iPhone in white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.