Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Just like the guy on the other forum, my source has seen posters than show the new price. Ok so the day was wrong, but it sure seems like its happening any day now.

I think, as said above, the only way this could happen is if it were subsidized by O2.

I for one will be upset when it drops. Not because I paid more but because more chavs will buy them and I won't feel special anymore! Boooo....

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
My brother works in carphone warehouse and he says its coming down to 170£.. anyday now... probably the 8 gig model...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Price drops are not good enough, it, like all contract phones in the UK, should be FREE! Charging for a contract phone is just stupid and greedy, if Apple made the phone free they would have a lot more customers.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Price drops are not good enough, it, like all contract phones in the UK, should be FREE!...

No it shouldn't.

What Apple are doing is changing the industry in the favour handset manufacturers. I do not mind paying a premium to own a piece of hardware like the iPhone. I would rather pay less in the contract though.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
No it shouldn't.

What Apple are doing is changing the industry in the favour handset manufacturers. I do not mind paying a premium to own a piece of hardware like the iPhone. I would rather pay less in the contract though.

You mean they are changing the industry to get them more ca$h... Dont forget Apple also gets something like 10% of all iPhone phone bills, too.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
You mean they are changing the industry to get them more ca$h... Dont forget Apple also gets something like 10% of all iPhone phone bills, too.

No, that's not what I mean. What I meant was actually what I said, i.e. it is a good thing that handset manufacturers are beginning to take back some control from the networks.

If this subsequently means more money for Apple (which I'm not convinced it does), then so be it. I would rather see my money go to Apple than to the networks who have not really done anything to improve their services in the last 5 years.

Also, there is no published evidence that Apple receive any proportion of individual iPhone bills. That is all speculation.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
If this subsequently means more money for Apple (which I'm not convinced it does), then so be it. I would rather see my money go to Apple than to the networks who have not really done anything to improve their services in the last 5 years.

Just because the handset is free to the end user, doesn't mean that the company that made it get's nothing. The network company just stumps up the cost of the phone. Sure, they won't cost as much, but that's simply down to bulk buying power (same in any sector).

There *MUST* be some clause in place (at least initially) preventing O2 from giving it away or reducing the cost. If you buy it from Apple or O2 the cost is pretty much the same, so O2 isn't covering any of the cost for the end user.

If the price drop is on its way, my guess is that there was a clause in the Apple O2 contract that has expired, allowing O2 to reduce the price.

Just my 2p worth.

C

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Several people are reporting that their local CPW/o2 store have confirmed the price drop on the 8gb handset tomorrow.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I'm guessing that to qualify for this subsidised price customers will have to sign up to the contract while instore.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Don't forget if you take out a new contract on O2 and go through Quidco you also get 100 pounds back..

Making the iPhone 69 pounds :D

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
Unlikely. Very Unlikely.

O2 changed some cheaper tariffs for the iPhone recently (not seen on Apple.com, but on O2.co.uk), so it's already partially cheaper.

And £100 is a heck of a lot. That would make it £169. Thats around $340. Thats $59 cheaper than in the States - this would never happen. Never. Ever.

Think you're going to feel daft tomorrow.

MobileToday carrying the story - http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/O2_to_...one_by_£100.html?fragment=&SearchType=&terms=

Only til 1 June - no prizes for guessing when the 3G version is due then!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I think this could happen, as there was a recent iPhone price cut in another European country.

If it does happen, it could point to stock clearence to make way for the 3G iPhone!

Archie-

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
No, that's not what I mean. What I meant was actually what I said, i.e. it is a good thing that handset manufacturers are beginning to take back some control from the networks.

Also, there is no published evidence that Apple receive any proportion of individual iPhone bills. That is all speculation.

Actually what is happening is that Apple is taking the money that would normally go to subsidizing the handset and keeping it for themselves. Remember the contract is still more or less the same amount, and the extra recurring revenue money is not going to the carriers.

Its heartening to see that not too many people are being taken in by this reversal of fortune for the consumer.

If this became commonplace it would slow down the progress of handset technology, as it would price the nicer phones out of the range of the common man.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Unlikely. Very Unlikely.

O2 changed some cheaper tariffs for the iPhone recently (not seen on Apple.com, but on O2.co.uk), so it's already partially cheaper.

And £100 is a heck of a lot. That would make it £169. Thats around $340. Thats $59 cheaper than in the States - this would never happen. Never. Ever.

Never never?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.