I really do hate Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, May 13, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really do hate Apple sometimes, they're just so annoying.

They have a complete monopoly on the digital media player and digital distribution market, yet no one seems to care, probably because they're easily the best in both areas. Cue Apple smugness.

Their quality control has gone down the pan over recent years, Leopard is definitely more flaky than anything before it. Still good, but arguably not good enough. Then there's the stupid hardware problems that seem to plague anything and everything they release. Even given all of this I still want their latest everything, damn it. How irritating! Cue more Apple smugness.

Then there's the damn iPhone. In the UK the law of the mobile phone world is that you get a half decent contract, then pay next to nothing (or nothing at all) for a top of the line handset. Then Apple come along expecting £270 up front plus a lengthy contract. Cheeky bastids. The first version of hardware is fatally (in my view) missing 3G, and to a lesser extent GPS. There are ridiculous software oversights (no copy/paste, no browsable file system, can't save pics, easily set ring tones etc etc). Never the less, it is still a highly desirable device. The buggers. A year on and they're about to release the 3G version, with software 2.0, hopefully alleviating the flaws that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Now I find myself almost feeling grateful that they're about to deliver the device they should have in the first place, and am far less outraged at them wanting me to fork out a lot of money up front for it. How the f*** did that happen?? Creeps. Cue yet more Apple smugness.

They make it an outright nightmare to buy stuff as you never know what they have around the corner because unlike anyone else there are simply no road maps. Argh!

It's enough to drive you batty! Yet still I want what they've got. http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/Insane.gif http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/BangHeadAgainstWall.gif

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/gifs/applausev2.gif

Yup, summed it up perfectly. They are indeed complete wankers for that!

4. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Can't say i read all your post but the last line about road maps caught my eye.

Your concerns about build quality may be correct but all I can say is that when you make millions and millions of things even a fraction of 1% (an excellent failure rate based on best practice manufacturing guidelines, six sigma quality control and all that) still equates to 10's of thousands of returned products. Its just not possible unless every one is hand built and costs 4 times as much to do much better. Its the realities of modern hypa mass production.

Sorry, no decent company will reveal their product roadmap. I work for a company with lots of interesting products in the pipeline and we sure as hell aren't aren't going to make our intentions public until you can buy one.

Companies don't just exist for your benefit you know they have to survive.

Its all about surprising your competition and to do this you don't reveal your future intentions to anybody and everybody.

I would have thought Nokia would cause you more frustration as didn't they launch 50 odd phones last year and their product lifecycles are measured in months, not years. From my experience Nokias products are appalingly unreliable.

Iv'e had three 6280's and even my 4th has a fault. Now the speaker phone doesn't work.

With apple you know that something more interesting and better is ALWAYS just about to be launched so you have a good idea when you buy a product its successor is just around the corner.

You show me a company who has published their product road map then...If you find one I'll show you a company which won't be in business for much longer.

I'm not really anti microsoft and pro apple as I have a PC and a mac and I have to say I do more on my PC as simply the software is unavailable on the Mac. Any one know of any decent professional CAD packages on the MAC?? -I aint going to run bootcamp or parrallels..

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

For Apple to sell its products it needed to bring the price in range of other OEM's, to do this they had to do what the others did and start getting them in from China, hence lowering the quality.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

iBook logic boards.
    Powerbook dodgy screens.
    MacBook Pro excessive thermal paste/dodgy screens.
    iMac dodgy fans/screens.
    iPod classics that freeze.
    iPod nano's with wonky screens.

etc, etc.
    Ours (UK, probably entire EU) are built in Ireland.

This thread isn't so much to bitch about Apple's flaws, more to marvel/be irritated by how that despite the many ways in which they are incredibly annoying, we all still want and do buy/lust after their shizzles.

7. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I've not had a QC problem with apple, so meh.

I'm far more curious about the blues brothers avatars

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I pretty much agree. Though I've had a total of 0 problems with my iPods and Macs over the years. Not even so much as a dead pixel, 4 year old PowerBook still faultless.

Had some funky munky problems with my iMac connection to my wifi network after boot, and it used to just turn itself on at night but both of these are fixed now.

iPhone price was way too much. £160 was the price it should have been for 8gb, and £230 for 16gb. Not a penny more in the UK, and it suffered for that.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

We're on a mission from God. :D

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, thats the truth of it!

Luckily on the iPhone part, we have the Pwnage Tool and jailbreaking to stick it to the man! And OSx86 if you dont want to fork out extra cash for Apple hardware.

11. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I concur

As I was using Leopard on my SR Macbook this morning, I realized that I was becoming as frustrated with Apple's crappy QC as I had been with Microsofts before I left windows for good. I'm not going back to Windows, but if Apple doesn't get its act together real quick and stop releasing software updates that break more stuff than they fix, stop randomly changing UIs, get over the "not invented here" syndrome, and stop releasing half-assed features that never work right, I'm going to move to Linux. Not perfect, but it won't crash nearly as much as my Winbook, I mean Macbook:mad:

Part of the reason I think is hubris on the part of management. From what I have read, Steve is drastically expanding the product line without expanding QA staff, and it shows....

12. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Intel, AMD, et al.

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

any movie that holds the record for destroying cop cars (80) is ok in my book.

14. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

My iMac came from Singapore, and I live in the UK.

However, my iMac was one of the first (made within the first month) so chances are Apple hadn't established the iMac pressings in Ireland? I dunno how these things work...

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are lots of options in term of music players. Just because the options are crap doesn't mean Apple is a monopoly. If you don't like Apple, you can use mini disk, turd-zune, zenstone (thick as a stone), and many other options

Agree with some hardware, yes there are some failures but compared to the industry it's the similar rate.

Keep in mind that the overall customer satisfaction with Apple is higher than the industry, even with some people who want everything Apple made to be perfect (well we all like to, but those who understand business and economics understand it's impossible to get perfect at a practical cost).

As to roadmap, see what happened when Steve Jobs gave a copy of the original Mac OS to Bill Gates? Thus there are the secrecy -- nothing is announced until it's shipping or close to shipping.

There will ALWAYS be something new. If you are good in weeding out the fake rumors, then you'll know when something new is coming out.

As to iPhones, how many million people think it's worth it already?

When you hold the purchase, you don't get the utility of using the purchase, while others (when iPhone first came out it's a girl magnet) are enjoying their purchases.
    =)

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

LOL how much did some of you miss the point of this thread?

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Alas, only the Mac Pros come out of Ireland… and the eMacs used to be Irish as well.

The rest of the product line is Made in China (Designed in California, of course, whatever that means.) :p

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Designed by a Brit in California, made in China, assembled in Ireland.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:D Now if only Apple would start thinking globally…

20. shecky Guest

shecky

thats because apple does not sell products or services.

apple sells experiences. and at doing that, they are the best.

21. henchosbandito macrumors member

Some good issues raised, certainly with the falling quality control. I find it a little alarming at how willing they are to exchange their products when they go wrong, its almost as if they know their products arent perfect and that a few faulty products dont really matter.

However, saying Apple have a monopoly on the mp3 market is a little off the mark. With the sheer volume of mp3 players on the market, Apple cannot be said to have a monopoly. Given they probably do have the biggest market share, you forget the number of people who use mobile phones for their music needs - especially those annoying w*****s who sit on the back of the bus playing music through their phone loudspeaker. That annoys me more than anything in the world. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR IT!

Rant over

22. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

LOL iBelieve iDid get the point of the thread. but all the response is making me unsure right now :D

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

yeah, maybe I'll post this bit again:

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Awesome!

That actually did make me LOL!

The iMacs were Welsh built!!
    I'm surprised there weren't more problems!!

25. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii