I really don't like force touch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, May 29, 2015.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

It feels nothing like a real trackpad to me. I use to be able to play games just fine with the trackpad, but with force touch two-finger click is so finicky, and regular clicks have no depth. I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't include sensors in a real trackpad to replicate its few benefits. Anyone else think force touch feels way different than the real trackpads?

2. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

I agree! Our company picked up a 2.5/16/512 dGPU model for a new project and I was going to take it and give them my 2014 (perks of allocating computers). I used it for a day or so.

I don't like how it feels AT ALL (tried all 3 levels). Clicking and dragging was a little funky. I also think the keyboard is mushier than the 2014.

3. cookies! macrumors 6502

I didn't like it at first either, but I didn't notice it was even there after just a week of use. Dragging did take some practice to master, however.

4. newellj macrumors 601

I never liked the old trackpad. I wound up setting them up for tap-to-click, and dragging things never worked very well. I can now click anywhere on the pad, and dragging things is far easier and more predictable.

I haven't found any personal uses for the force click, but the normal uses are immensely better than the old hardware.

5. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I love it, I am totally used to it as it feels the same as the original. The click sounds just aren't as loud but that doesn't make it a dealbreaker by any means.

K.

6. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Yeah I'm a fan of it. I have mine set to 'firm' to feel a bit more like the older trackpad, but overall I'm a huge fan of how it feels, and how it's quieter.

And the fact that there are no moving parts is really nice IMO, makes me even happier using it knowing that I'm not wearing down a traditional button. My 2010 trackpad stopped working properly last year because one side wouldn't click

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I'm a huge fan of it. It's so effortless but at the same time doesn't have the issue of "false clicks" if you will.

It just feels so good. I'm also loving the 3 finger force touch preview option for links in safari. Such a cool addition.

Big fan so far

8. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Can't remember the last time I actually clicked using a trackpad. With tap to click and three finger drag, there are much better, more precise options. Still can't figure out how I'd make use of it.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I disagree, force touch felt remarkably similar to the regular touch pad to me. I actually went into the store thinking it was going to be a bad experience and left astounded at how well it emulates the touch. Further, I can finally click on the top portion of the touch pad.

10. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

It honestly does NOT feel like an old trackpad. You guys are delusional if you think it feels like the old trackpad, or you honestly just don't know..

I think I hate it also. Sometimes it will not "off click" in a timely manner, which makes the whole process seem slow.

11. princealyy macrumors regular

I still miss the old trackpad with a separate button to click.

12. leman macrumors 604

I don't notice any difference whatsoever with the old and the new trackpad. The new one seems more accurate and responds better. I am confused to read that OP complain about two-finger click — its absolutely smooth on my machine.

Then again, I haven't used physical clicks on my Macs since years. Its annoyingly loud and is a weird sensation overall, so very much I prefer tapping. The new trackpad is exactly what I wanted.

13. abta1 macrumors 6502

I notice the difference but it doesn't affect the way that I use it. After a month now, I'm used to the different click feeling and really like the force click app specific options.

However, when I go back to an old trackpad, I can really notice the difference, especially with click depth.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, it's not as loud, but other than that I haven't noticed any difference.

To the OP, how do you click? I use my finger to point and then my thumb to click. For a right-click, I rest two fingers and use my thumb to click. In other words, I use the exact same "gestures" that I used to use with my 2006 (with the physical button). Are you using the same technique or something different?

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    If you don't like it don't use it, but don't step on other people and call them "delusional" because they disagree with you.
    -1 cool Karma point for you. ;)

Kal.

16. SamuelShand macrumors newbie

i have to say i love the new track pad, been using for 2 days now and its great - thought i would give it a go as waiting for my master mx to arrive still and didn't want to use my old mouse on the new machine ; ) coming from the previous trackpad which i did not like at all, always used a mouse with that.
    think i can now happily use the trackpad when out and about and use the mouse when at home/playing the odd game.
    i only seem to use 2 fingers with the force, no thumb!

17. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I use a mini mouse myself...:D Dislike trackpads altogether....Just saying ;)

18. SamuelShand macrumors newbie

each to their own : ) has only taken me 2 days to get accustomed to the force, ha.
    I have to say though that i am not finding the deep click of any use so far as some others have said. time will tell i guess.

19. mlsusa, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

mlsusa macrumors regular

You are in no position to say how others think or feel.

I have a 2013 rMBP and use a Magic Trackpad for my desktop. The force touchpad on my new rMBP feels very much comparable to me.

Personally I like it but if others don't that's their preference and I certainly wouldn't pass judgment on them.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

To me I feel a huge difference, but in the opposite way: I prefer the force touch trackpad over the old design.

For some reason, I just end up wanting to click near the top of the trackpad a lot, and that felt lousy (obviously) on the old trackpads because that's where the hinge is. Ultimately I had to configure tap to click, or more often I'd just carry a wireless mouse around and use that instead.

To me, force touch feels much better.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I was pretty impressed with force touch in the store, and the firm option seemed very similar to my MBP. Also, a click is silent, while a click with the older trackpad is pretty loud.

22. newellj macrumors 601

You're right, we're all delusional and just don't know. You, on the other hand, are The Master of the Universe. :rolleyes: You can certainly tell us what you think. Don't tell us what you know that we're supposed to think because you're so sure that you're right and other people are wrong.

23. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I also like the Force Touch much better.

But, as it sits on a table 99% of the time, I use a mouse.

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've used it side by side with my old 2009 MacBook Pro and it doesn't feel exactly the same but it really is close enough. If it bothers you, return your Mac and buy a refurb 2014 model.

25. newellj macrumors 601

This is likely excellent advice for those who don't like it. Apple pretty clearly intends that future notebooks are going to have the new trackpad. The fact that the 20115 MBAs didn't get it probably says something about their future in the product lineup.