Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thank goodness we've got Unix time. The most intuitive of them all. You decide which date is earlier:

04/06/05 or 05/06/04

vs

1112745600 or 1083801600

A no-brainer, really.

:D:cool:

zorro07

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
Obviously not everyone thinks the U.S. Is the centre of the universe! People use many ways to denote dates and times. It's part of the direst you of the world in which we live! Enjoy it! It's not going to go away. Cheers

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
The US military uses DD-MM-YYYY, no matter what the general public prefers.

Time is annoying. When I was in the timing business I wrote routines that took HH:MM:SS.xx as text and converted it to integer centiseconds. Much easier to handle that way.

Ah. Julian Dates, which are handy for things like days between days, and answering questions such as "X days before today was what date?" I think dotnet gave us a couple of Julian days.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I wonder if there are any good stories of business/political deadlines or meetings not being met due to the difference in format.

United Nations World Conference 4/5/2016

Or is it 5/4/2016? :p

I speak/read Hebrew and am used to the alternative format. I'm also familiar with reading right to left, books from the back to front cover, and days starting at nightfall :confused:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
When I was an exchange student here in the US, we all from every other country were complaining about the same things when we arrive.

Why month/day/ year if whet you care is the day/month/year?

I even went to court because once I wrote the date of the check wrong, it was may but I started with april 4/5/ and the landlord was not able to cash it, plus it was already late.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know it all started with Apple, but seriously, I hate it. Its confusing as hell.

Im going to correct this trend starting now. My WSB will be delivered 05/14-05/20. NOT 14/05-20/05.

;)

Such a strong verb to use in a thread title and in your post. 'Hate'. Why not reserve this eminently serviceable verb for a worthwhile cause?

As an American, I apologize to all non-Americans on this forum.

Thank you. There are times I genuinely scratch my head in befuddled bewilderment at some of the stuff that comes from the States…..

I knew a veteran of WW2 (British) who murmured that he could never trust a country which used the eagle as its symbol…..

I don’t care how other countries view their dates. This has been the first release where i’ve seen everyone jump on the bandwagon (which is what this thread is all about), Americans included using this date format. No other release has been like this, which is why I hate it.

Again, that verb. An excessive expression of emotion, to my mind……

You appear rather immature.

The same thought crossed my mind.

Now, re the topic in question, I'm from Europe, so the day,month,year sequence is what I was brought up with and what I am used to. Moreover, as a professional historian, I have a lot of experience in - and a vested interest in - the accurate use of dates, and I have always found the US system illogical; indeed, when I encounter it, I have to think twice, and pause, and double-check what it means.

And I do thank the various divinities- whose existence I sometimes doubt - for the fact the US military uses the sensible version more widely used elsewhere in the world.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I think some very strong arguments can be made for why the metric system is superior to imperial measurements. I'm not sure the same can be said for dates. What we see as "logical" depends greatly on what we are accustomed to, and how we normally express dates in our spoken language.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Do you non-Americans see the dates on this forum written like the image below?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 49

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
As a developer, I don't necessarily need to worry about date formatting for my apps, as long as the dates convert nicely into "date" objects.

We should forget about dates and just go with days. That will eliminate confusion. Imagine this conversation:

"Excuse me sir."
"Yes?"
"What day is it?"
"Let me check...it is the 265th day of the year."

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I agree with this in principle. It's a naming format I use for regular emails I create for a performing arts center.

However, for a casual reader it forces them to skip over the parts that are the least significant to get to the parts they are the most interested in.

What works best for computers and filenames doesn't necessarily work best for the human mind and reading ease.

I've used ISO format (yyyy-mm-dd) professionally and personally for years. I prefer it because it removes ambiguity. I think most people would find it instinctive after a couple weeks of use. But heck, I'm not holding my breath since the metric system hasn't made much inroads in America over the last 50 years.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
America has done to much apologizing lately. As an American I don't apologize:eek: and will continue to use the same date format.

I like to go against the crowds:cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
America has done to much apologizing lately. As an American I don't apologize:eek: and will continue to use the same date format.

I like to go against the crowds:cool:

Does that mean that you will use that particular (to my mind, illogical format, but that is a different matter) format because

1) You prefer it? Or, because,

2) It is American? Or, because,

3) You 'don't apologise' as 'America has done to [sic] much apologising'? Or, finally, because,

4) You do prefer to go against (an international) crowd?

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I prefer month-day-year. Does day-month-year make more since like the measurement system everyone else uses? Perhaps, yet it looks wrong because I am not used to it. The U.S. measurement system makes less sense then everyone else yet I am used to this system.

Books printed the other way look backward and feel wrong. Are they wrong? Not to those who are used to them. Of course I may have issues with backward (to me) things anyway.

Just different.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
My job requires me to write dates one of two ways

DDMmmYY or DDMmmYYYY

All other dates formats are beyond comprehension

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.