I REALLY hate to keep bothering you people with this, but...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Aug 13, 2008.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Once again, I am in need of more PC help.:eek:

Basically, I recently bought a Dell OptiPlex off of ebay to replace my dead HP Pavillion. It arrived today, I got it all set up, downloaded all the programs I wanted, and everything seemd to be working great.

Then I leave it alone for half an hour. I come back, and it's off. Well, that's a bit odd, but not a big deal. I turn it on and try to log in with the user account I created. No dice. I try over and over but it doesn't work. So I log in with the old account name and password. What a surprise, it works. But none of my programs or documents are there. Darn.

So, I change the name and password again, and restart, and it does it again.

What is causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wow, that's bizarre Cassie!

I wish I could help because you are always so helpful, but I don't have a clue.
    I'm sure someone will... hang in there... I know it sux

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

That's my guess, but I'd rather make sure that is the problem before opening this thing up.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You can verify that too, change the date, then do a restart. See if it holds the date.

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, it has always kept the right date AFAIK.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Are you talking about a Windows username and password?

Unless it's a BIOS password it's unlikely to be a battery issue.

If you're talking about a Windows user/password, login with the old details and see if you can see the new username in the system - either under Users in Control Panel, or under Documents and Settings on the C drive.

If it's powering off it's either overheating or suffering from a dying PSU.

8. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, it's a Windows user and password thing.

Nope, no trace of it. What bugs me is I installed a few programs on that account, and none of those programs appear to be on the drive anywhere.

Well, it's only happened once so far. It might have been in sleep mode, but I had to press the power button to get it to do anything.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The system could have been on standby - but did it do a POST test and full boot to come back up? If it didn't get you back to the same state, it was a cold boot.

There is the possiblity of more than one partition, and more than one install of Windows on the box. It's a more likely thing seeing as you've installed programmes etc and they've disappeared (which is something that doesn't happen much). You can check for other disks and partitions using Comptuer Management's Disk Management module:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools

in Computer Management, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Control Panel > System will also show you boot volumes (IF this instance of Windows is the one in control of the system's bootloader) under the Advanced tab, and Startup and Recovery. There's a drop down box that might have more than one entry.

From here, I'd just cut my losses and reinstall. It's always faster and more interesting than working out the problem ;)

10. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

OK, well then I'm pretty sure it was a cold boot.

Well, there's two partitions, but one is just 39 MB so I wouldn't imagine that would hold another version of Windows.;)

If only it were that easy. Reinstalling isn't really an option for me, sadly.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I hate to ask Cassie, but was this considered a reputable seller?
    Could you contact the seller and ask about the issue?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Not so much. :rolleyes:

Missing the discs?

I would ask you to post the console/event logs but Windows never puts anything useful in them.

*continues to think*...

13. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

As far as I can tell, yes, he was a reputable seller. Good feedback and all that.

This computer was obviously taken from a busniess environment, there are some network drives that are showing and everything, plus some software I don't need, but I don't really think that's a big deal.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps their IT department put some kind of protection on it to prevent new accounts

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

A reinstall sounds like a sound option. Businesses lock all kinds of crap down.

16. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A system restore, or factory restore? Can you do this?

17. SilentGreg macrumors member

Agreed. Cassie, if you are comfortable with reinstalling Windows, do it. It's highly recommended that Windows be reinstalled every six months as the installation begins to suffer from "Windows rot." Since the machine was bought on eBay, if I had to guess the operating system was not reloaded as the old user name and password are stored on the machine. :rolleyes:

18. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I can't reinstall, I don't have the original disks. (Trust me, if I could have reintsalled, I already would have. ;))

19. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I think I may have found something.

Everytime the computer turns on, there's a program that loads in the...uh...place where the clock is, and the icon looks like a wolf. After sifting through the C Drive, I've found what it is. It's called "Faronics Deep Freeze". Here's a link. Could this be what is causing my problems?

EDIT: actually upon closer inspection of the website, I am almost positive this is the problem. if so, I need to find a way to get rid of it, so um, if anyone could help with that it would be most appreciated. :eek:

20. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Cassie, you can remove this through add / remove programs. Is the system running Windows xp?

you can go start and run, type msconfig. Select startup.

In here you can disable programs from launching.

If you want i am happy to remote into the machine, using single click VNC if that is needed.

21. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nope.
    Yep. XP Pro.

Interesting. I'll try this and get back to you.

22. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, as far as I can tell, it's not listed within Startup.:( Thanks Though,

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Cassie i will download it and install onto on of my test rigs here at the office, i will post back when i have found out how to nuke it off

here are the instructions

Attached Files:

24. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

It is definitely that program that is messing with your system, and the business environment it came from.

There is no way to reinstall windows? You do not have ANY discs lying around to do so? I know I wouldn't touch a system now-a-days without taking a fresh custom install. Then again I also do them for other people to get money so I am a little picky about running windows :p

I am pretty sure that a reformat is the best and easiest option for you. Sorry :(

EDIT: WAIT! I may remember something! Forgive me if it doesn't work, my memory maybe hazy as i've only encountered this problem once, but you may be able to shift + right click on that bear/wolf icon and get to an uninstall tab after entering in your password.

Let me know if I am right!!

25. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Wow, thank you so much for doing this.:) How do i get the uninstaller? All I see for downloading is an "evaluation copy" thingy.

No, sorry, nothing. :(