Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Cassie follow these instructions - it worked for me getting it off it's a nasty little bugger ! Yes i downloaded the evaluation version which does the uninstall for you but you have to follow the steps below before it will work

9. Deep Freeze is installed on my computer. I would like to uninstall it. How is this done?

Disable Deep Freeze before uninstalling it.

To disable Deep Freeze:

Hold down the shift key and double-click the Deep Freeze icon. Alternatively, you can press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F6.
Enter your password and click OK.
If you have not yet entered a password you should be able to click OK without entering a password.
The Boot Options dialog is displayed. Select "Boot Thawed" and click OK. This will disable Deep Freeze on the next reboot.
Reboot your computer. After the computer reboots, you are ready to uninstall Deep Freeze.
To uninstall:

Locate the installation file you used to install Deep Freeze on your computer. By default, the name of this file is called "DF5Std.exe" for versions 5.X and "DF6Std.exe" for versions 6.X.
Run the installation file (DF5Std.exe or DF6Std.exe).
Select the option to "Uninstall"
Deep Freeze is uninstalled and your computer is rebooted.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Cassie i will download it and install onto on of my test rigs here at the office, i will post back when i have found out how to nuke it off

here are the instructions
Thanks for the instructions, I really appreciate them. Sadly, I don't know the password for the application. :(

EDIT: And apparently if you enter in the wrong password three times it automatically restarts the computer. :/

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Here have a read of that

I installed Deep Freeze and forgot my password; can you give me a password to turn Deep Freeze off?

There are no backdoor passwords to Deep Freeze. Faronics cannot recover lost, forgotten, changed, or otherwise misplaced passwords or Customization Codes.

For licensed versions of Deep Freeze:

Using our unique One Time Password system, Deep Freeze Enterprise Administrators can generate One Time Passwords (OTP). To generate an OTP:

Open the Deep Freeze login dialog on the workstation for which you need to generate the OTP.
Write down the Token code which is located at the top of the login dialog.
Open the Deep Freeze Configuration Administrator and click the One-Time Passwords tab or open the Enterprise Console and click on Tools > One Time Password.
Enter the code you recorded into the Token field and click Generate OTP. Another code will appear in the OTP field. The second code is the password for the workstation.
The newly generated One-Time Password can then be used to disable, uninstall, and re-install Deep Freeze with the correct password.

For Evaluation versions of Deep Freeze:

Restart the computer.
Enter the system BIOS settings.
Advance the clock by at least 60 days and then restart your computer. This will disable the software.
After the system has started, run the Deep Freeze installation program to uninstall Deep Freeze.
After the computer reboots, re-enter the BIOS and reset the clock to the current date. You can then re-install Deep Freeze after restarting.
If you are running a licensed copy of Deep Freeze Standard please contact Faronics Technical Support at Toll Free: 800-943-6422 or Tel: +1 (604) 637-3333 with your license information so that a support case can be opened on your issue.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I don't know how exactly I can do any of this. The only traces of this program are in the tray and deep within the C drive. This is no mention of it on the desktop nor the start menu. If I try to run the program directly from the C drive, nothing happens. I don't know which edition I have either. Grr, this is frusterating.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
I don't know how exactly I can do any of this. The only traces of this program are in the tray and deep within the C drive. This is no mention of it on the desktop nor the start menu. If I try to run the program directly from the C drive, nothing happens. I don't know which edition I have either. Grr, this is frusterating.

I wonder if it is possibly that not only do you have this horrid program but that it is also corrupt... I usually assume that for Windows installs after seeing so many computers...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Does it have OEM windows Xp sticker on the case? i am sure you can by replacement media from Dell or microsoft?

Yeah, it does. I suppose I'll just end up doing that. It's almost 1 AM and I'm sick of dealing with it.

So, thanks to all of you for help, I really appreciate it. Goodnight.;)

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
OK, so I requested replacement disks from Dell yesterday. Due to my proximity from Austin TX, where Dell is based, they came today. (Yay!)

I reinstalled XP, and inserted the disc that contained all the drivers, supposedly. But when I get to the option to select my model, it isn't there. Mine is an OptiPlex 170L, and models listed to choose from are 745, 740, 320 and 745c.

So did Dell ship me the wrong drivers?:confused:

(Also, even if they will work on my model, I'm not sure which ones to install, because I can't find what hardware I'm using under Device Manager, so if anyone could help me with that too, I'd really appreciate it.:eek:)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Gosh Cassie, this just keeps getting worse for you!
Reminds me of why I don't miss working with Windows!

I feel for ya girl!
Wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Geez cassie your not having a good run :( um what you can do use your ibook to get on to the dell website and manually download the drivers, then chuck them on your thumbdrive just make sure the the drive is not formatted in the mac file system other wise the windows rig won't see it, best format it in the fat file system .

You will need make and model, and possibly the "service tag" it's a sticker on the site somewhere usually blue with white writing.

EDIT

Here is the link to download the drivers for you rig!

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...X_PNT_P4_CEL_170L&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Good luck

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I do.

Stop using purple for your text.

;)
Nevah!

Geez cassie your not having a good run :( um what you can do use your ibook to get on to the dell website and manually download the drivers, then chuck them on your thumbdrive just make sure the the drive is not formatted in the mac file system other wise the windows rig won't see it, best format it in the fat file system .

You will need make and model, and possibly the "service tag" it's a sticker on the site somewhere usually blue with white writing.

EDIT

Here is the link to download the drivers for you rig!

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...X_PNT_P4_CEL_170L&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Good luck
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

However, I'm having some video troubles. The classic, "I can't get the resolution above 680 by 480". I've gone through the troubleshooting, and have kind of hit a roadblock.

When I go to the properties in display settings and click on the adapter tab, nothing is listed. I'm assuming this is the reason why I'm having these problems. But how can I get the adapter detected? (I failed to see what it was before I reinstalled. :()

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Cassie, you need to download the video driver from the website i gave you above

I have. I tried both. The first one doesn't even work (Upon reastart, no video) and and second didn't do anything, (It doesn't even look like it installed, but I went through the whole install process...)

EDIT: Oops, I meant the 2nd one doesn't work and the 1st one didn't do anything.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thanks for that utility, toolbox.

The only thing it offers info for in the "Display" option, is the PCI/AGP video. Under that, it lists "Intel Extreme Graphics 2".

But if that's the case, shouldn't the drivers Dell offered work?:confused:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Wow, somehow on the 15th restart or so, it actually found a VGA controller.:rolleyes: (Perhaps it did this because i ran the diagnostics like iMac-Knight suggested; all tests passed. :p)

Everything seems to be working right for now, but knowing my luck, don't be surprised if I call upon your help once again (Like the next time I restart for example; seriously, mark my words.)

Once again, thank you for all your help!:)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You deserve an honorary MS Certification or something for this Cassie!
I would have given up a long time ago I'm afraid :(

Congrats! I am very happy for you!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
so you can get the screen rez up ?

here is the driver for the card

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-011594.htm Yours has intel® 915 Express
Yes, thanks. I just had to have 800 x 600 or I would have died.:p

I will bookmark that site just in case I ever need it. :)
You deserve an honorary MS Certification or something for this Cassie!
I would have given up a long time ago I'm afraid :(

Congrats! I am very happy for you!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif
What can I say, I'm stubborn.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.