I really like my Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brandon263, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

What can I say, I can’t help but smile whenever I see it on my desk or on my couch. It’s so slim, so aesthetically pleasing and, despite what some people say, it just works. Sigh…

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You are not alone. :)

Happy posts are few and far between here. Enjoy your beautiful rMBP, like I do, and be grateful for what you have.

3. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

4. bxjagal macrumors newbie

The feeling is mutual :D:apple:

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well so do i love it, even though i have had a couple of break downs, im just hooked up to it being able to chuck away intensive tasks as well as have such a gorgeous display, fortunately for me i haven't had ghosting or tining, but had a backlight pinch as the AASP said. Otherwise its just a beauty slim and light

6. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Very well said.

I too find my 15" retina equipped MBP delightful. It's seen a lot of use, especially given the resource intense nature of my work. It's served me very well, day after day, month after month, with not a single problem of any significance, that's all one can ask of any laptop that gets as much use as I put mine through.

Of all the PowerBooks & MacBook Pros I've had, this one is certainly a favorite. :)

7. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Not gonna lie.

Mirin'

8. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Which one?

Seeing them in the store and playing around with my sister's, I don't undersrand how somebody could find fault with them.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. Adonys macrumors regular

I didn't have to return 10 rMbpro to get the perfect one, got the first one right ;)

11. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Yep, mine’s great as well.

The only hardware issue I had was the creaking case, and that was easily fixed with a pentalobe screwdriver to reseat the bottom panel.

What problems I have, are with the software:

Why can’t I take a “pixel-for-pixel” screenshot showing the actual color of each of the 2800×1800 pixels when I’m using an intermediate scaled resolution? I just want to be able to capture exactly what is actually shown on the screen.

Why can’t I make Finder windows scroll vertically when icons are set to show their labels on the right side?

Why can’t I make the Finder always open windows with status bar and toolbar hidden?

Why can’t I make Preview show two columns of miniature pages in the sidebar like I could on Snow Leopard?

Why can’t I make a window extend across multiple monitors like I could in Snow Leopard?

But yeah, the physical machine itself is great. I just wish they hadn’t nerfed the OS (and the iWork suite.)

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Its called progress. We ain't doing big cats no more no more. ;)

13. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Oh, don’t get me wrong, Mavericks is way better than Lion and Mountain Lion. In my view, Lion was one of the worst OS X updates ever. Mountain lion fixed a number of the things Lion wrecked, but not all of them. Mavericks fixed a lot more, but messed some other things up.

Probably the biggest issue remaining is the destruction of Save As. When they provide a way to restore the classic Save As behavior that existed through Snow Leopard, along with a simple way to completely disable Autosave and Versions, that’ll be great. Until then, OS X remains a shell of its former self.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've been very happy with my 13" especially since they fixed the trackpad freezing and random short beach balls. I loved my 09 too, but this one feels even better.

15. 98EXL macrumors regular

I too love mine. This is the first laptop I've ever bought. In twenty plus years, I've always been a desktop guy, so this is one hell of 'My first Laptop' if I say so.

I can't get over how much faster it runs than my current mini, and this 15" screen looks so great.....I love coding on it

16. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

A couple days ago a Windows-laptop-using friend expressed curiosity about my late-2012 rMBP. He's considering getting a Macbook Air.

I showed him a thing or two. "It's so fast!" he exclaimed.

I grinned, and swept between a few Spaces... where I'd been running a couple of virtual machines with different versions of Windows for a project I was in the middle of. "So," I pointed out, "In addition to the Mac stuff I just showed you, here's Windows XP, and [click click] here's a Windows 7 instance. It's all running at once. You wouldn't know it, though. This thing's a beast."

He was truly boggled. He'd never seen anything like Spaces, for one thing. Having multiple "Mac" desktops and then two entire "Windows" desktops all on the same machine just rocked his world.

A laptop with that kind of power is easy for us rMBP owners to take for granted, but for most folks it's still the stuff of science fiction even now.

17. rtfmoz, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

rtfmoz macrumors newbie

If you love it like I do then you will appreciate images from Digital Blasphemy who make Retina resolution 2880x1800 digital art.

It's an amazing machine. My only concern is the 95 degree temps I get from the Geforce card when playing games.... boy it gets hot! I just worry it will break... but otherwise its a pleasure to use.

18. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Refreshing thread.

I simply love it! Between the instantaneous flash storage to the best screen I've ever used; even after a week I still can get used to this screen. I prefer it to my iPad.

Plus the power. I have the high end model and am able to run two Windows VMs and my Mac apps with ease.

The design is simply beautify and classically Apple. And one of the biggest things is this system runs dramatically cooler and quieter than my 2011 MacBook Pro. My old system ran an average of 50 C for just basic email and web. This system only hit 48 C when running VM's! It blows my mind!!!

In short....LOVE IT!!

If I had to pick out one thing it would be smoothness. It generally runs great, but there is some occasional UI lag (swiping between spaces and video and rapid scrolling in Safari) that wasn't present on my old one, but the Iris Pro does an amazing job and if I run the 750m there is none.

19. stark4 macrumors 6502

nice to see a lot of you guys like the retina screen. For me the retina screen is only good for reading text but not for watching movies and music videos because of the yellow tint issue on all retina MacBooks. It might not be the issue but lets just say retina screen has more yellow color than regular screen.

the can check my comparison pictures in this thread if you are interested.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747503

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Damn you, I'm trying my hardest to keep on chugging along my 15" Macbook Pro 2011 model! Just until the end of this year.. But soon!

21. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

At first, this post made me want the Retina, but then I realized how much I love my tank, 16GB of Ram, SSD & HDD, Quad Core Processor, and hopefully a high res screen soon.

So thank you, I feel the same way about my non-retina, its so pretty!

22. mac8867 macrumors 6502

23. jg321 macrumors 6502

Just to add some contrast to this (pardon the pun!), I was worried about my 2013 Retina 13", which replaced a 2011 MBP. My 2011 had a beautiful cool screen. Almost blue, but still very accurate and bright. Loved it. Got a 13" cMBP as my work machine, and it's yellow as hell. Even changing the white point doesn't help, so I know what you're referring to.

Late 2013 retina arrived, switched it on - boom - beautiful cool bright screen just like my old 2011. No yellow at all. Not just saying that. No messing around changing white points etc, it's stock. I have had to do this on my 2013 iMac however, to make it cooler.

So it's not true that "all retinas have a yellow tint". Only skimmed your other thread but if you're not happy, take it back and don't leave until you are. If you can't get that, take your money elsewhere. You need to be happy with these things!

P.S. I love my rMBP 13". It's an amazing laptop, best I've ever had. Weight, battery life, performance, screen, build, everything.

24. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I really hate your macbook pro, my cmbp is waay better!

25. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

You made it this far, don't give in! The 2014 Yosemite Pros I'm sure will be amazing. I would waited had I not needed my late 2013 13" for school. I'm gonna be really jealous if they redesign it.