Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Assuming, as you claim, performance and availability already are no issue - how much is it to move from any former Intel MP to the can ?

Everyone avoids that question .

So we have to ask what's missing and what's needed. And these are the turning points around the bulk of the discussions here on M.R. So lets't look at that:

Missing On MP6,1 "Can"?:
  1. Open PCIe card-edge slots
  2. Four internal HDD 3.5" bays.
  3. Two ODD 5.25" bays.
  4. Optical Audio I/O.
  5. FireWire I/O ports

End User Needs To Replace?:
  1. In almost all cases no. There are 2 strong GPUs in place and pretty much every other card operates perfectly over TB2 or has a USB replacement available.
  2. I guess many people will want this back, yes.
  3. I guess many people will want this back, yes.
  4. It depends if the RCA Mini Jacks double as optical digital like on the MacMini.
  5. I guess very few ever used FW and even fewer are still using it.

Cost of replacing the missing features:
  1. I'm going to say zero dollars for the vast majority of users. Almost no one uses the MP5,1 PCIe slots for anything other than one single GPU. A few install a second GPU and the MP6,1 already has that. Some install eSATA, RAID and/or USB3 cards but those are already taken care of in other ways - either the MP6,1 existing USB3 ports or via a TB connection (see #2 below).
  2. Yes. But one or two bays are already accounted for via the one (or two) included SSD drives - so this leaves 2 (or three) bays unaccounted for. If you hunt around you should be able to find a 2-drive USB3 enclosure for under $50. a 4-drive one starts at around $125 or $150. Either will be faster than the native MP5,1 and nearly as fast as SATA3.
  3. Yes, I guess many people will want CD/DVD/BRD on their machine. This can either be included in the price of #2 above by selecting a unit which includes 5.25" bays (+ $25) or it can be added separately starting at $25 for the case and $150 for a CD/DVD/BRD reader/writer.
  4. Pretty much everyone interested in Audio will want optical. It may be in place already I'm not sure but if it's not then USB devices which supply this feature start at $20.
  5. No. Zero money here. And if someone is still needing this then an adapter to USB3 is like $15 to $20.

So you can figure out how much your own configuration will cost to move over to the MP6,1. I guess most people will spend less than $200 all total or maybe as much as $350 if they want the ODD with blue ray. Probably the vast majority will be in that general range - like around 80 to 90%.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
how much is it to move from any former Intel MP to the can ?

there will probably be some weirdness for the first year or two in that many (more than normal) people will be keeping their former mp around longer than usual in order to use the drives.. then the thunderbolt drives will be added as the money becomes available (and hopefully- as the cost of thunderbolt peripherals begin to drop and more choices become available)..

likewise, people with today's mp that do not foresee themselves jumping ship, will be buying things (if they need them now) with the idea that they'll be moving to the new mac pro eventually..

but i don't know- $500-$1000 seems a realistic guess (to me) ?

i do think that cost will be spread out over some time though and there probably won't be a big % of people spending money on the mac pro + any applicable upgrades on the same day.

[EDIT] oh- i should point out that i'm talking about what i foresee myself spending and other might not need to spend as much.. but in my case, i'll probably be replacing drives as opposed to just getting enclosures and what not.. i have a couple of old drives and while they aren't dead or showing signs of bad health, i think it's time to get them out of the picture over the next year or so..

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
i have a couple of old drives and while they aren't dead or showing signs of bad health, i think it's time to get them out of the picture over the next year or so..

I use Smart Utility to tell me when they need to go. With single drives I'll often wait for the Reallocated Bad Sectors to near the drive's manufacturer stated limit. For drives used in a RAID I replace them pretty quick after the Power On Hours reaches the manufacturer stated MTBR.

I figure drives are cheap these days ($125 for 3TB) and data is often priceless so best to keep it within the manufacturer's own specs. That's worked well for the past 3 or 4 years anyway.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm just not a fan of Apples not-upgradable direction they seem to be taking with everything.

It's nothing new, since the G5 upgrades have been limited on Pro Mac's. RAM and HDD aside the only other upgrade was the video card, I'd like to just how many users even bothered upgrading it?

RAM can still be added and the HDDs have moved out so really easy to add more storage via USB or TB when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.