Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
i really love the OSX OS its the cleanest and i really really enjoy the programs for music recording, video editing, and others, plus the computer games i like to play are made by Blizzard, who supports mac, so the Graphics card isn't so demanding, but every-time i go to upgrade my laptop, i can never justify the cost of the macbook pro, and always end up buying a PC laptop.
just a quick price comparison(i know the new update will change the specs but):
Macbook Pro 13" -1499$(i am a college student so 1399$)
2.53 Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
250GB HDD
Geforce 9400M

ASUS G51JX-A1 15.6" 1449$
2.8 Core i7
6GB Ram
500GB HDD 7200rpm
Nvidia GTS 360M 1GB VRAM
1920X1080 LED screen

Please don't call me a troll and other things, i really want a mac, i just need more help, every time i go to the shopping cart to checkout i'm always hesitant.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do you really need the power? i7 isn't going to make web browsing or emails any faster and you said the graphics don't matter so much so... It's your choice, power vs. OS. Btw, there is no 2.8GHz Core i7 for laptops, it's 2.66GHz dual core ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I say get a Mac.
I'm not saying it because these forums are mainly Mac users (I use a PC, so what?) but man, if I had $1000 right now, I would go for the Macbook. I realized that Macs have high resale value and are plenty fast.

Take a look through eBay and see how much a Macbook that's a couple years old sell for. Like $600 to $800.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
New MacBook pro updates soon says everybody. So of course if you can wait a little bit, wait. I always fear buying a computer right before an update where I could get a better thing for the same price. I bought my MacBook Pro and have regretted it very little (I got one that was too powerful and used ~$400 that I could have saved, but I'm sure in the future I will realize that future-proofing is a smart thing to do.).

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
Well, if you really love OS X and the programs that run on the mac, and you've already budgeted $1,500 then it seems to me that getting a mac is a no brainer. If you can wait then they will be updated and if you wait until the summer you'll get an ipod touch thrown in there too.

I hear what you're saying about the processor and screen resolution but the screen on the mac will probably look better even though it unfortunately has lower resolution. The love you have for OS X is going to have a bigger impact on your enjoyment of the computer than the processor spec.

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Then there's the difference in the way you interact with a Mac and a PC. I'm not ripping PCs, but I prefer Macs for all the small details, like the attention to details, the build quality, the ergonomics, the way you can connect all your peripherals, wireless gear, etc. so easily, without having to open "Wizards," to configure this and that; it just works. Windows is a memory hog, so that pretty much negates the RAM difference. I don't understand how Asus can have the i7 when Apple's laptops don't yet, and Asus brings it in at a good price, I must say. It sounds like a nice setup, but OSX is the clincher in the decision, IMO. I hate feeling like I'm getting ripped off, too, but if you really like OSX, then you're getting a premium experience with the Mac.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Since you mentioned you want to play games, go with the pc. It's got a bigger screen, high resolution display, faster hard drive, faster processor, more ram. It is quite thick however, at up to 1.6 inches.

If you weren't going to play games, I would go with the mac. It's very quiet, very thin, and very good looking.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

thats the computer, i understand what your saying about power, and i know its not fully necessary, but to some degree i always feel i'm about to get ripped off : /

Actually, that CPU runs @1.6GHz :p It goes up to 2.8GHz because of Turbo Boost but that cannot be counted really...

If you don't need it now, wait for the update as MBPs should get i5s and i7s as well. Revive this thread then (or PM me) and lets see how big the difference is

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I would wait until the MBPs are updated. For me the software on a computer is more important than the hardware on a computer. I personally am more happy with OSX than windows 7.
In short if hardware is more important to you, get the PC. If it's software, decide which you prefer and go for that.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

thats the computer, i understand what your saying about power, and i know its not fully necessary, but to some degree i always feel i'm about to get ripped off : /

Couple of things that may help you:

1) Don't forget that a laptop spec isn't just the internals. The case, design, thermal performance, battery life and weight all come into play and should all be considered when comparing laptops. Case in point, that ASUS is half-again as heavy as a 15" MBP (getting on for what, 2/3rds more than the 13") and has a battery life around the 2 to 3 hour mark. Both significant issues in a laptop and the price you pay for having the extra grunt.

2) Performance for day to day tasks, even fairly beefy ones like Photoshop, isn't really limited much by hardware anymore. The performance difference between, say, a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MBP from 2007 and a current 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo isn't as big as you'd think. Sure, if you're making a living doing stuff that requires a lot of processing power, say photography, then yes the second or two of time saved per image adds up. If you're not though you'd probably never even notice the difference. Certainly I can't remember the last time I was thinking 'I wish this computer was faster' on anything I've used in the last, oh, two years at least. Bottlenecks these days come from other areas, most often when grabbing a lot of data from the interwebs.

Basically, if you want to transition to OS X then you won't be sitting there thinking the Macbook Pro is slow so don't worry too much about the individual components. Oh, also, if you're a student and do go with the Apple option, for the love of god sign up for Applecare at the same time. Not sure of the US pricing but I know the UK takes it down from £200+ to around £50 if you get the education pricing.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
hey guys, thanks so much for the help, i will wait for the macbook pro update, after reading much of the rumors i'm really excited for whats in store for the MBP, and i think what ever the new update has in store for me i will like it and finally muster up and buy one, i don't wanna constantly keep making new threads about mac questions so id figure i would ask in this thread to keep people from getting mad that i make a new thread for each question i have lol.

i could use your guy's help for picking a recording software and equipment, i play Technical Death Metal/Black Metal guitar and drums and i wanna start recording my written songs, i currently use Guitar Pro 5.2 to write everything down and make drums for it, what software is good for recording and making drum loops, i like garage band alot but the problem i have with it is the bpm, doesn't go as high as i need it and i cant change bpm through the song, ill have a riff that goes in like 240 then speeds up to 300bpm, i need a versatile program to write drums in and record, thanks in advance!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
hey guys, thanks so much for the help, i will wait for the macbook pro update, after reading much of the rumors i'm really excited for whats in store for the MBP, and i think what ever the new update has in store for me i will like it and finally muster up and buy one, i don't wanna constantly keep making new threads about mac questions so id figure i would ask in this thread to keep people from getting mad that i make a new thread for each question i have lol.

i could use your guy's help for picking a recording software and equipment, i play Technical Death Metal/Black Metal guitar and drums and i wanna start recording my written songs, i currently use Guitar Pro 5.2 to write everything down and make drums for it, what software is good for recording and making drum loops, i like garage band alot but the problem i have with it is the bpm, doesn't go as high as i need it and i cant change bpm through the song, ill have a riff that goes in like 240 then speeds up to 300bpm, i need a versatile program to write drums in and record, thanks in advance!

Logic is quite popular as it's Apple's app but I am not familiar with it so don't know how well it suits for you.

By the way, you have a nice music taste ;) I've played drums for 10 years now, mostly death, black and thrash metal :cool:

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
ill look into logic, i hope its good garage band is fun for liek techno and rap and stuff, but other than that i dont think its too reliable.

haha, yeah i saw your name as hellhammer hes so damn good, whats your drum set up like, did you get your hands on those demon drive pedals yet?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
haha, yeah i saw your name as hellhammer hes so damn good, whats your drum set up like, did you get your hands on those demon drive pedals yet?

I'm in Pearl "team" (that's the stage before you become a Pearl artist) so I got Demon Drivers for 100e each when they came ^^ Definitely the best pedals I've tried and the price isn't that bad either.

Currently I have 2 x 22" bass drums, 6 x toms, 2 x snares, and about 13 cymbals. Kicks and toms are Pearl Masterworks series and most cymbals are Sabians.

BTW, I had a talk with Frost and Horgh on Friday at Finnish Metal Expo :p

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend the 13" MBP if you are seriously considering recording. The 13" screen will be too small for the programs' windows and you'll be forever switching between windows to make an adjustment here and a tweak there. You'll go mad.

If it was me I would consider one of three options. Get a 15" MBP, Or get a larger monitor to connect the MBP when recording, Or buy an inexpensive PC desktop that is used solely for recording.

As for software, I have seen good things with Logic from Apple (though Logic Express is less money and probably enough) and have been impressed with the drum effects that Reason (from Propellerhead) can create. I'm not a fan with ProTools due to the hardware restrictions and painful upgrade policy.

Are you recording a drum set or doing this all digitally? Recording real drums requires a large hardware budget!

s.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
i think i was talking about the 15" when i was getting a macbook, the 13" is great cuz its got the same speed at a lighter weight, but man those 15" screens look good, also the student college discount thing is really really helpful, do you think that there will be a price drop for the MBP lineup like they had last year? or do you think they will add much more product for the same cost as they already are?
Thanks

PS. frost is a total badass, one hell of a drummer, thats so sweet you got to meet him in person, he does kinda scare me a little bit though lol

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
New MacBook pro updates soon says everybody. So of course if you can wait a little bit, wait. I always fear buying a computer right before an update where I could get a better thing for the same price. I bought my MacBook Pro and have regretted it very little (I got one that was too powerful and used ~$400 that I could have saved, but I'm sure in the future I will realize that future-proofing is a smart thing to do.).

I feel the same as him. I purchased high end 13" mbp and spent more then I really wanted to for wghat I use it for. However in the long run I know I have a comp that will run fine for things I need for years to come.

I think it's all whether you need/want a mac over a pc. I myself was fed up with pcs/windows so I made "the switch" to apple/mac. I have not regretted my decision. Especially the more I use my machines.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
if you're recording with protools, a MBP will work out great for you, I've been recording and mixing with mine for years. Even for recording drums, you can get a used digi 002 cheap and get an 8 mic setup running just fine. I also play blizzard games, even HL2 and crysis under boot camp, on my early 09 (last removable battery) MBP 15", and they run great with mid-high settings (a little lower settings on crysis obviously)

I love this MBP, definitely the best purchase I've ever made

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Logic Express + Reason (using rewire) will make a SCHWEEEETT setup without breaking the bank! I took a Intro to Computer Music class a few quarters ago, Reason is one seriously awesome powerful program!

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
If you don't feel like waiting, I would suggest the MB. The difference in processor speed from 2.26 to 2.53 isn't all that significant. And you save like $250 with the educational discount. I ordered mine with 4GB of RAM, 320GB HDD and iWork for $1075 (without tax). Since the MB was updated about four months ago, it's unlikely that it will be refreshed with the Pros (assuming they are updated soon). When the Pros get an even bigger update, you can always sell your MB and upgrade then. Microcenter is also selling the MB for $799 stock in store pick up only. Even if you don't live close to one, I've heard that you can talk Apple into price matching. Even though mine was CTO, I'm still going to try and have Apple price match the $100 difference. The worst that can happen is they say "no".
Just a thought, good luck with your purchase!

ipodrocker

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
i really hope they come out soon its been so long, and with my current macbookpro broken im macless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.