I remember the days when rumors used to be rumors.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nx7oe, Mar 28, 2011.

1. nx7oe macrumors newbie

I hated not knowing what product was coming. One last thing happened to be a complete surprise. Why do you think it changed? Is it because of the fact that apple GOT SUPER HUGE? I started using macs back when they were G3 beige towers. I don't think I'm looking back anytime. But, don't you just miss the surprise?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Speculation and anticipation have their moments. To answer your question I don't miss the total complete surprise. :)

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Perhaps there is an aspect of rose-tinted specs about this.

What exactly was the last "Oh, and one more thing" that was a genuine surprise?
    Were there ever any?

I am not being just contrary, but I can honestly not remember.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You missed out on the Mac IIvx debacle.;) Luckily for me, I couldn't afford a IIvx when it was released, so dodged a bullet there. I've stopped being a fan of surprises after that. For those who don't know what I'm talking about...

:apple: introduced the Mac IIvx on October 1992. 4 months later, they released a faster, better and cheaper Centris 650. (both have the same chassis). Obsolete after only 4 MONTHS.:eek::eek::eek: Surprises...don't misses those days at all.:p

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

The keynotes were designed by Steve when he did them. He got old and one more thing became a cliche for him.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Or you could not use the Internet ...

:confused:

You're whining about rumors on a website called macrumors.com?

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I remember the days when rumors were rumours.

<wistful sigh>

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't think the OP is whining about it.
    Just mulling it over thats all.
    :)

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You should try www.macrumours.co.uk ;)

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We don't really get rumors anymore, now they are just glorified press releases. Intel's road maps are not as secretive as IBM use to be, a .25 MHz PPC increase was big news and that only happened once a year.

Everyone is blogging Apple news now so it really isn't a surprise anymore. The days of back room rumors are long gone as everyone has a source and a website now. Even most of MacRumors stories are not in house anymore but reposts of other tech sites.

12. nx7oe thread starter macrumors newbie

I remember being surprised by..

Powerbook G4.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah,
    I miss those days, but I don't mind what we have now, it helps me with my buying decision. Should I buy an iPad 1 or a 2. Given the rumors, the specs of the iPad didn't really do much for me, so it made more sense for an iPad 1. Plus I avoided those crazy lines ;)

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My first computer was the Macintosh Preforma - Great machine :D

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Heh - I remember that debacle. And the 650 wasn't just incrementally faster either - the jump to the '040 made it several times faster. I think about that moment anytime anyone today complains about Apple's business practices, saying that the 'old' Apple would never act like that. ;)

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Because a lot more people have started caring about Apple. Therefore, there's higher demand for "rumors". AFAIK nothing has changed in the rumormill but rather, more people are on the look for the newest Apple product/hardware info.

Then again, Apple has also branched into a lot of different industries since the G3 Beige days and so keeping a secret isn't so easy.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I'm not really even bothered that much about the rumours; often they're completely ridiculous, especially when it comes to Apple. Maybe I'm on the wrong site...

18. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

While there have been times I have been fairly sure of what Steve would show off at a keynote, there have still been times for me when Apple pulls a fast one and surprises me.