I Reserved...But Gave Them NO Information??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I was not logged into Apple.com.

I went to preorder the 32gb black and selected Add a New Line.

It asked me if I wanted to pickup in the store and for my zip code.

I selected my store and hit 'Continue'.

Then it just says, "We'll see you at the store. What to bring:"

And that's it...how the hell do they know who I am?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They don't, that's why they ask you to bring certain bits of information (e.g. license, SS card, credit card). Also why the reservation will probably say the price of the iPhone is $599, the subsidized price will be given on checkout.

3. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

But how do they know who reserved an iphone? I literally gave them nothing...just hit reserve and got a confirmation screen that had no unique confirmation identifier.

4. mbell75 macrumors 6502

So basically anyone can show up at the store opening day, say they pre-ordered and show ID then. That should make for some fun times :)

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

That's odd. Are you sure you weren't logged in? Did you get a confirmation email?

6. kozlosap macrumors member

I don't think you finished the process. I had to log into my apple account and then got the confirmation page and Email from :apple:. Did you get the confirmation email??? Hope you did;)

7. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

On launch day you'll just have to get in the line next to the "pre-order" line, might wanna get there early!

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I used the Apple Store app and it had me login to my Apple account then it e-mailed me a confirmation.

9. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

You have to login - my guess is you were already logged in with your Apple ID. Did you get a confirmation email?

10. kozlosap macrumors member

They "trapped" your info off of your log on! You are good to go - Congrats!!!:D

11. KC2 macrumors regular

I had a similar thing happen to me. The left side had the standard error we've all been seeing this morning. The right had my local store, and said we'll see you at the store, without me providing information.

Seems like a glitch in the system, and I definitely would not trust that as a reliable preorder.

Just to note: I have preordered via the new Apple Store app, but I wanted to try online to see if I could get a reservation with the correct price (one less hassle come next Thursday) instead of the unsubsidized $599/699.

12. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Nope...I definitely was not logged in.

And I definitely have not gotten a confirmation email.

But even after logging in first and going through these same steps...I still get no confirmation email.

13. kozlosap macrumors member

:confused:Try using the iPhone :apple:store app - it looks like some of us have had success using that to reserve and you must be logged into your account to use it!

14. KC2 macrumors regular

Here's an example of what I mentioned above, and what's still happening (below)...if I click Pick Up in Store, it says something along the lines of "We'll see you at the store" even though I haven't logged into the Store or anything. All I've provided is my wireless number, billing zip code and last 4 of SSN. Granted, that's enough to pull up my account, but I hadn't made any selections for anything related to the phone besides choosing between 16 and 32GB.

[​IMG]

15. dal20402 macrumors 6502

I seem to be the only person for whom everything worked correctly. I did my preorder right after the store came back up at about 8:30 a.m. EDT this morning.

I entered my phone number, last name, and last 4 digits of social, and got the $299 price (32GB). Then the system asked me for my Apple ID. I provided it, and got a "you're done" screen. About an hour later, I got a confirmation email, also with the $299 price.

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

To get to that point, didn't you enter your phone number and last 4 digits of your social?

From that, considering they are connecting to AT&T's servers, they have access to ALL your information, up to and including your credit history, I would imagine.

Trust me, they know who you are. :cool:

17. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Also, I think a lot of the confusion here is the difference between pre-ordering (as in shipping to your house) and reserving (picking up at the store.

I reserved, and got the message "See you at the store".

Those who pre-ordered already paid, and therefore, they got a confirmation email and receipt.

It sounds like none of us who reserved got a confirmation email, which makes sense.

Just relax. You'll get your phone, and everything will be fine. Just keep sucking your thumb for comfort until then. It will be okay. ;)

18. kozlosap macrumors member

I did my pre-order at about 3:15 AM PDT and it took one try with just 2 refreshes. The last thing I did before confirmation was give them my Apple Acct. info and then the confirmation page popped up immediately. The email was there in about five minutes;) One of my co-workers just did a reservation using the new Apple Store app and was successful in one try.:rolleyes:

19. KC2 macrumors regular

If you reserved via the Apple Store app like a lot of people had/are having success with (me included), you do receive a confirmation email (although with the wrong price listed for most/all of us). That is for an in-store pickup, by the way.

Man, this whole process has gotten so much more confusing for everyone than it needed to be.

20. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Nope. Even if you reserve, you'll get a confirmation email.

And thanks to the guy above who said use the Apple Store App! I just did it and it worked flawlessly and quickly. I've already got my reservation confirmation email!

21. kozlosap macrumors member

You are very welcome about the :apple:Store app! For those of you who didn't get a confirmation email ---do the reservation again!!! If you don't you will probably not be on the printed lists they will be using next Thursday!:cool:

22. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Mine says the correct location...I'd suggest trying to preorder again until you get the write location listed on the email...

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He said price. But yes, I was able to reserve an iPhone via the app for the correct price.

24. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I did the same thing as the original poster. Did not sign in with my apple id, but gave them my phone number, zip code, and last four digits of social. It said my order couldn't be processed but still allowed me to select my store for pick up and gave me this confirmation:

What to bring
    You must bring the following with you when you visit an Apple Retail Store:

Valid, government-issued ID
    Credit card
    Your Social Security number

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I reserved and got a confirmation e-mail. However, with all of the server issues it wouldn't be surprising to find that these e-mail are just delayed.