Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
You'll be wanting to downgrade in a year or pray Apple does something about the massive bezels on the 6+ with the 6s... Meantime the 6 is the way to go for a normal person

Luckily, I am abnormal (6'7", big hands). I love the 6+.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
So what about those of us that used their iP5 one and two handed all the time. Does that matter? I used my iP5 to open apps, check email, Feedly, etc... all the time one handed. but anything that required typing or additional work, I flipped it into landscape and typed it two handed.

Guess what, I can still open Feedly, emails, internet, etc... one handed on my iP6+. And guess what, I still type two handed when I am going to compose something or do something that is more intensive than clicking on an app. Now though, I have a larger keyboard and more screen space to do it on though. And that is with a Bodyglove Satin case on the phone as well, so figure it is just under 0.5" thick now, but it helps provide some grip to the device so that it doesn't slide right out of your hand.

I am not arguing that individuals that returned their iP6+ are wrong and that they are being babies with going to the iP6. For some the 6+ is better, for some it isn't. Same goes for the iP6. I can easily see the 6 being better to take to the gym or for a run, being placed in your front pant pocket, being used easier one handed. But saying that the 6+ is horrible or an abomination, or any other word people are using to say it is a horrible phone/phablet is wrong. It comes down to your personal preference and opinion. Would I get my wife a 6+, hell no. She is like 5' 4" with small hands. Could she use it or carry it in her pocketbook, yes. But what about when she goes to the gym or runs or any of the other things she does. The 6 would be better for her and would be a step up from her iP5, which she is still happy with in her Otterbox Defender case, so it is atleast a half inch thick.

I understand everyone has an opinion, but you all seem to think that your opinion is the only one that counts. That if someone else thinks something different from you, it is wrong. So lets leave these threads with one thing in common....you be happy with your 6 and stop complaining about how BIG the 6+ is, and I will be happy with my 6+ and won't care how you use your 6.

Seriously, do the fandriod guys complain this much about how big the Galaxy Note series is or their Galaxy Mega phablet? How about the huge Sony phablet I hear very little about, here and there. All the other 5"+ screen android phones which I typically do not pay attention to. My god, you would think that Apple fanboys would be ready to slit each others throats based on some of these threads if you decided to go 6 or 6+. How are the iP5/5S guys taking everything, or are they going to lurk in the shadows waiting for the 6 and 6+ guys to tear each other apart and then attack when the winning faction is weakened and show how a 4" screen is the best?

A lot of the times I read the comments on these articles to see if there is any insight from the masses but so far all I am seeing is a bunch of whiney babies complaining about how they weren't happy with their first purchase since they didn't research anything about their chosen phones size and see if it would be a good match for them and now they have regrets/remorse and either did or will switch to the other side. I may just read articles from now and skip over your useless, whiney blather.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Well I guess with my hands I should have been in the NBA.

Seriously though why does every one keep making new threads with such similar topics? Is YOUR return that much of an event to warrant another thread? They need a " I returned my iPhone 6/6 plus" sticky.

Exactly! But this is the first world culture we have created over the last decade or so of everyone has access to social media and the "look at me" mentality. A bunch of drama queens. I have a Facebook account. Everything on there is pretty much locked down and I have like 3 "friends" on it. Everyone else that used to be on there as a "friend" I deleted. I got tired of the daily BS being posted up. Stupid things like "hrrrmpphhh" by some overly emotional individual (typically women, sorry but it is true), just waiting for someone to ask "what's wrong, what's going on. Let me stroke that narcissistic like ego of yours". What good is having 300 "friends" on Facebook if you hate 90 something percent of their post. If I want to communicate with one of them, there is a thing called email. I can send it to one or multiple people but do not need to involve the world in whatever we are discussing.

But hey, I am older and still do not understand the whole hashtag thing or like the whole twitter thing. But again, for those that need to know that others are "following" them so they feel more important and not so lost or alone in life, knock yourself out.

----------

This I can agree with though. I'm not a fan of the default landscape keyboard

Change the 6+ to the Zoomed mode in the settings section and it will remove some of the extra buttons on the side and make the keyboard bigger in the middle. I hope that a developer will just come out with something similiar to this but for the landscape mode non-zoomed setting. That would be ideal for me or just eliminate the side buttons completely and give us bigger keyboard buttons.

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
How was the weight distribution of the 4S any different? I used that thing for three years, and like the 6 Plus, the weight was distributed evenly across the entire surface.

He probably got the 6Plus that obviously had the entire battery installed horizontally at the very bottom ? ;)

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hell, everyone else is doing it so I might as well go create the three hundreth thread on "Why I chose the 6+ over the 6 since the 6 is still too tiny and lame without OIS, and lower resolution, and much smaller battery, etc, etc, etc...".

Then when I upgrade my wife to the iP6S next year (probably), I can reverse and post up another thread "Why the iP6S is so much better than the iP6+S with it's unmanagable humungus screen"

Man, I gotta wait a year to do that.... tick, tock, tick, tock.
:rolleyes:

It's like there are a bunch of children on these forums.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
When you go & purchase a product, sight unseen, that falls on you.

Marketing is marketing. You didn't want to wait to see it in person to decide.
You had to order it asap, couldn't wait. Take some responsibility.

You made the wrong choice, exchanged it, and are happy now. So be happy & stop posting this nonsense.

At the end of the day, no one really cares who is returning what unless you're one of those people who does everything random people on a forum tells them to.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I love the sillyness of the new iPhone critics. If you don't like the phone then why did you buy it? If you bought it and don't like it, return it and get a Android phone. People need to realize that there are people on these sites by design to discredit the iPhone. It is almost a business practice anymore. I say you buy what you like and enjoy it.

Thank you sir. Thank you.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I feel that Apple didn't do a proper job introducing the 6 Plus. If Steve Jobs was still around he would explain the differences between the two devices in detail. With Cook we basically got a far too brief introduction.

For instance we are shown the new landscape mode for notes or messages BUT we are not told that it's less usable than portrait mode because so little text is displayed on screen.

On a similar note we are shown accessibly mode but we are not told that is it 100% impossible to use applications like Safari without using it constantly or repositioning your hand in a position that causes muscle cramps.

Furthermore KEY facts like being unable to fit it into small pockets or that it gets tiring holding your hand up with the phone were completely ignored.

I was 80% aware of the problems with the 6 Plus so if you read my other thread--which I am sure you didn't--you would see that I ordered a 6 for myself. I got the 6 Plus for my parents believing that the pros would outweigh the cons for them. Well that turned out to not be the case and after using the Plus for 3 days I came to the conclusions in my original post.

Basically what I am trying to say is they didn't do a good enough job informing me or other people of the 6 Plus. Which sucks because as another poster said 'people always want the biggest and best' so A LOT of people will buy this phone and end up returning it because they were uninformed consumers.

There is a little double arrow thing right above the word September. Click on it.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! full screen now.

If you use the Zoomed screen method, full screen is set by default without the option to change back and forth (and the keyboard is bigger without as many additional buttons on the side).

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I feel that Apple didn't do a proper job introducing the 6 Plus. If Steve Jobs was still around he would explain the differences between the two devices in detail. With Cook we basically got a far too brief introduction.

For instance we are shown the new landscape mode for notes or messages BUT we are not told that it's less usable than portrait mode because so little text is displayed on screen.

See above - this can be adjusted. People just haven't explored enough.

On a similar note we are shown accessibly mode but we are not told that is it 100% impossible to use applications like Safari without using it constantly or repositioning your hand in a position that causes muscle cramps.

ummmm speak for yourself

Furthermore KEY facts like being unable to fit it into small pockets or that it gets tiring holding your hand up with the phone were completely ignored.

Did you really not know a BIG phone wouldn't fit properly in a SMALL pocket? Does someone actually have to point this out to you?

Basically what I am trying to say is they didn't do a good enough job informing me or other people of the 6 Plus. Which sucks because as another poster said 'people always want the biggest and best' so A LOT of people will buy this phone and end up returning it because they were uninformed consumers.

If people are uninformed regarding what you have listed here it is their own fault. Anyone who isn't sure can & should go to the store & touch the phones & explore before they buy. Buyers remorse is happening for a lot of people who just couldn't wait... had to be 1st... and that's what happens. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Apparently that's a huge ordeal.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012

ummmm speak for yourself

Did you really not know a BIG phone wouldn't fit properly in a SMALL pocket? Does someone actually have to point this out to you?

If people are uninformed regarding what you have listed here it is their own fault. Anyone who isn't sure can & should go to the store & touch the phones & explore before they buy. Buyers remorse is happening for a lot of people who just couldn't wait... had to be 1st... and that's what happens. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Apparently that's a huge ordeal.

I like you. ;)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Point taken.

Negative. Apple had a massive keynote to unveil their products in front of the whole world. What kind of company fails to differentiate their products and inform consumers of which product they should get. Apple's Keynotes worked because Steve Jobs knew what to say and he knew how to communicate to us what Apple was doing.

Your point of using it in store fails as well because A) It wasn't in stores BEFORE pre-order and B) You need a guided walkthrough or use in real life, simply toying around for 5 minutes in the store won't tell you much.

Last edited:

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Point take.

Negative. Apple had a massive keynote to unveil their products in front of the whole world. What kind of company fails to differentiate their products and inform consumers of which product they should get. Apple's Keynotes worked because Steve Jobs knew what to say and he knew how to communicate to us what Apple was doing.

Your point of using it in store fails as well because A) It wasn't in stores BEFORE pre-order and B) You need a guided walkthrough or use in real life, simply toying around for 5 minutes in the store won't tell you much.

It's called marketing. I can't count how many "worlds best coffee" shops I've walked by. Do I throw a hissy when their coffee IMO sucks?

No one forced you to pre-order - you CHOSE to do that without actually seeing the device because you did not want to be patient & wait. No one made you do it. The specs were out. The size was no secret. You actually can spend more than 5 minutes toying with it & even ask the apple store employees questions. I'm sorry, no one should have to point out to any adult that something big doesn't fit in something small. Period.

----------

I like you. ;)

Ditto# happily typing on my 6+

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
It's called marketing. I can't count how many "worlds best coffee" shops I've walked by. Do I throw a hissy when their coffee IMO sucks?

No one forced you to pre-order - you CHOSE to do that without actually seeing the device because you did not want to be patient & wait. No one made you do it. The specs were out. The size was no secret. You actually can spend more than 5 minutes toying with it & even ask the apple store employees questions. I'm sorry, no one should have to point out to any adult that something big doesn't fit in something small. Period.

----------

Ditto�� happily typing on my 6+

Love the coffee analogy. I like Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds. Just plain coffee with sugar and cream. None of this fraptachino mocholate with soy, no whip, etc... I hate Starbucks coffee. Does that mean Starbucks is bad? Obviously not but it isn't my cup of "tea". I do like how my McDonald's coffee only cost me $1.07 each day versus whatever Starbuck's cost. Do other's prefer Starbucks over McDonalds or Dunkin, I am sure there are. I don't go around telling them they are wrong for drinking it and that it sucks.

Before I bought the 6+ I went out and tested some of the larger android phones in my hand to see if I would like it. Would it fit. Would I have an issue with using something like this. I looked at the measurements online for the 6+ and compared them to the Note 3 and Note 4. I knew before receiving mine via UPS that it was going to be big, but I also knew that I was going to like it and it would be fine for my needs.

If more people would do that I think they would be happier with their initial purchase of whatever device they buy instead of making impulse purchase for the biggest (must be better) thing.

*Unhappily typing on my Win7 work desktop (no/bad cell reception in work building).

----------

I know people hate to hear anything mentioning Steve, but I feel like he would have forced the design of the 4.7" to be smaller/thinner before release. It's a bigger phone but it's not innovative at all.

and you all would have been complaining that there was a 13XX mAH size battery in your slimmer 4.7" iphone and it only gets the same battery life time as the iP5/5S, if you are lucky. Maybe even less.

There is only so slim that you can go. The iP5/5S was slim enough. I would have preferred they keep the same thickness and just added more battery to each phone (yes I know there is a 29XX mAH battery already in the 6+ but hell, if I have the space I will take the battery). And this way the camera on the back of the 6/6+ wouldn't stick out like it does.

But that again, is my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009

No one forced you to pre-order - you CHOSE to do that without actually seeing the device because you did not want to be patient & wait. No one made you do it. The specs were out. The size was no secret. You actually can spend more than 5 minutes toying with it & even ask the apple store employees questions. I'm sorry, no one should have to point out to any adult that something big doesn't fit in something small. Period.[

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19902548/

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not telling you you're wrong to return it, I'm saying that presenting a post that blames apple for not pointing out why you may not like the 6+ or that it's big for pockets is silly. It's an individual choice. Not everyone likes the same thing, uses the phone in the same way, etc.

I happen to love my 6+. I'm 5'2 ish, have very small female hands (therefore used to 2 handing it) and I don't typically store things in my pockets, I almost always carry a purse of various sizes all of which can hold this phone. This phone fits in my running vest & belt. Works for me. Won't work for all. I sincerely hope you enjoy your 6 as much as I'm enjoying my plus! Choice is a GOOD thing.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Honestly Steve wouldn't have introduced either the Plus or the Watch. BUT IF HE WAS GONNA INTRODUCE THE PLUS, I'm 100% sure he would have done a better job telling people about the shortcomings; he was really good at spinning stuff around aka marketing.

Ya that whole iPhone 4 situation sucked. I personally feel he didn't have a choice. All the test iPhones were used with cases so they overlooked the issue with using the phone naked. Then if he issued a recall it would have destroyed Apple's reputation so we got screwed. Still my 4 was more usable than the 6 Plus.

Your 4 also had a 3.5" screen which is too small (for me) but while it did the job then, I would have preferred it have a larger screen. But things weren't that good then when it came to LTE or larger screens. I remember people who bought the larger screened HTC phones when they came out and all I remember was that they drained the battery super fast. Either the larger screens and/or LTE components were so power hungry that the just killed the battery. I can squeeze out two days worth of Feedly updates, Safari, Pandora, email, text, a few short calls, weather updates, remote accessing into my Mac Mini, Kindle app, camera usage, etc... out of my 6+ now.

As for more usable, your 4 was more usable one handed. I find my 6+ just as usable if not more than my iP4, iP5, and it even replaces some of the things I did/do on my iPad rMini. Personal opinion and choice.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well guys I finally did it. I had to wait in line for 6 hours but it was completely worth getting rid of those abominations. Why? Because EVERY app places the guide buttons on the top and the button of the screen. And with the 6 Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the top buttons without

A) Shimming the phone in your hand = inconvenient, carpel tunnel, and high chance of dropping

B) Using accessibly mode = inconvenient.

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around your entire hand (unlike the 4S where it is concentrated in your palm) so holding it vertical is very fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

and we got this:

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable.

E) Accelerometer is too sensitive. I'd find myself accidentally switching to widescreen mode on the home screen way too often.

For you guys wondering about my specs, I am 6'2 with slightly longer than average aka "piano player" fingers. I'd wager only Shaq and a few other NBA players can hold a 6 Plus comfortably without ANY sacrifices.

Cliff Notes:

Pros: Great battery life, awesome screen [reading], good camera

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; (Apple) software is lacking.

Cool story bro. For me, the "sacrifices" I make owning a 6+ (which are trivial at best) far outweigh the "sacrifice" I would make staring at a puny screen. That I'm never going back to.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
(In Morgan Freeman's Voice):

But we all soon realized, the 6 IS better.

It can display without downscaling, doesn't have a funky vibrator noisy enough to be its own ringtone, is usable in one OR two hands, costs 100 bucks less, bends less easily, pockets more easily, it just goes on and on...

But keep telling yourself the bigger screen is "worth it". Sure do make enough sacrifices to have it...

I'm Morgan Freeman, and I chose the 6

(He really did too btw, lol)

And see, there you go with generalizing. You and anyone else that bought and likes the 6 are not ALL. You are only a part. There are many 6+ owners that like and are happy with their + models. Saying one is better than the other is absolutely stupid since both have their pros and cons. Whether a phone is "better" is subjective to each person.
If it wasn't the android guys would have have us all beat since you are basically reducing a phone down to specs versus individual user experience.
I wanted and like the 5.5" model. Does that make the 4.7" model a POS, no. Would I want to use a 4.7" screen daily, again, no. Does it have it's benefits, yes. Again, would I want to use it daily, again no.

For you, this may be opposite based on your comment above but does it make your comment an absolute and correct, no. When you can get every 6+ owner to dislike their + and switch to a 6, then you can be absolutely right. Until then, you are only a percentage vs a whole.

Enjoy your 6 and stop trying to justify your choices.

----------

Geez, this thread...

OP is correct - the issue is that the landscape stock applications on the 6Plus are generally not designed very well.

Having a Notes app that decides to dedicate a third of it's window on a 5.5" phone to a largely irrelevant list so the actual note you are typing gets *less* display space than it did on a 4 inch phone is really bad design (and indeed you got more text on a 3.5" screen!).

A lot of the redesign for bigger devices feels badly felt out. Contact pictures are nice, but by and large should be on smaller devices. A lot of the extra menus are just clunky on a phablet.

Read post # 183. Note app problem solved. Moving on.

I am sure as we progress with the 6+ model, apps will be updated to take advantage of this ability. The phone has been out for what, less than a week, it will need some time.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
Well at work today everyone loved the phone. In my world I've always kept my phone in my purse, use 2 hands, Bluetooth & hands free in the car. Nothing's changed in my use except now I can actually read books comfortably on the 6+. I'm not interested in exchanging for something I don't like or want to get $$. I don't think I look like a fool and that's really the only opinion that matters.

That's the thing for me too. Usually people with micro tablets (or phablets) had their phones in purse or bags, not in their pants, and nobody really cares who has what phone anyway. Only reason, like you said, I'm getting 6 is because I can finally have a slightly bigger phone that I can put in my pocket. I hated the fact that I couldn't put Note 3 in my pocket. Also couldn't believe there were people who could get 6+ into their front pocket as well. (HOW???)

At any rate, I think everyone has to take it as granted that developers need more time to work with bigger screens, both 6 and 6+. 6+ will be more tricky (just my opinion), but as long as there are user bases they will do their homework.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
And see, there you go with generalizing. You and anyone else that bought and likes the 6 are not ALL. You are only a part. There are many 6+ owners that like and are happy with their + models. Saying one is better than the other is absolutely stupid since both have their pros and cons. Whether a phone is "better" is subjective to each person.
If it wasn't the android guys would have have us all beat since you are basically reducing a phone down to specs versus individual user experience.
I wanted and like the 5.5" model. Does that make the 4.7" model a POS, no. Would I want to use a 4.7" screen daily, again, no. Does it have it's benefits, yes. Again, would I want to use it daily, again no.

For you, this may be opposite based on your comment above but does it make your comment an absolute and correct, no. When you can get every 6+ owner to dislike their + and switch to a 6, then you can be absolutely right. Until then, you are only a percentage vs a whole.

Enjoy your 6 and stop trying to justify your choices.

----------

Read post # 183. Note app problem solved. Moving on.

I am sure as we progress with the 6+ model, apps will be updated to take advantage of this ability. The phone has been out for what, less than a week, it will need some time.

I couldn't care less what you chose. The 6+ has "problems" that the 6 does not. Just because people "don't care" about the fact that it has to downscale everything it displays, or that it's so unwieldy it's created a whole new gate (bend), doesn't change their existence.

The 6+ is an abomination, rushed to market out of desperation to appease the people that "want" a phablet. I completely agree there are people who do. No one is arguing that.

The sad reality is, it wasn't ready for prime time. Look, I was one of the people who fully expected Apple to delay the launch of iPhone Titanic for months so they'd get it right. They didn't. They are now paying the price for putting a half baked product on the market.

It is what it is. I'm happy you're happy, I really am, but just because you can overlook all of the advantages the 6 has just so you can have a 5.5" screen doesn't mean they aren't there.

I personally know twice as many people (4) that are returning the + as I do that are keeping it (2). Is it an epidemic? Nah, but it's not JUST because they mis-judged the size. It's because the + has PROBLEMS. Problems the 6 just doesn't have. It's probably because the 6 was a finished product (hence all the leaks) while the + was a rush job.

No justification needed. I'm thrilled I (once again) made the right choice for me. I'm just greatly amused at the people clinging to the + even though it's becoming objectively obvious that, outside of screen size, it's now the red-headed stepchild of iPhones.

Mothers can love it. I get it.

:p

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Well guys I finally did it. I had to wait in line for 6 hours but it was completely worth getting rid of those abominations. Why? Because EVERY app places the guide buttons on the top and the button of the screen. And with the 6 Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the top buttons without

A) Shimming the phone in your hand = inconvenient, carpel tunnel, and high chance of dropping

B) Using accessibly mode = inconvenient.

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around your entire hand (unlike the 4S where it is concentrated in your palm) so holding it vertical is very fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

and we got this:

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable.

E) Accelerometer is too sensitive. I'd find myself accidentally switching to widescreen mode on the home screen way too often.

For you guys wondering about my specs, I am 6'2 with slightly longer than average aka "piano player" fingers. I'd wager only Shaq and a few other NBA players can hold a 6 Plus comfortably without ANY sacrifices.

Cliff Notes:

Pros: Great battery life, awesome screen [reading], good camera

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; (Apple) software is lacking.

Were you able to return to retail store, or had to send back via ship back?

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
i know he has the right to buy and return and apple has good return policy but sheeshh...i hate this kind of attitude its kind of abusing the system

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There is only so slim that you can go. The iP5/5S was slim enough. I would have preferred they keep the same thickness and just added more battery to each phone (yes I know there is a 29XX mAH battery already in the 6+ but hell, if I have the space I will take the battery). And this way the camera on the back of the 6/6+ wouldn't stick out like it does.

I agree completely.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Were you able to return to retail store, or had to send back via ship back?

I bought my 6 Plus retail and EXCHANGED it retail.
I didn't officially "return" the phone because I used an upgrade and didn't want to deal with that hassle of upgrade eligibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.