I returned all my Sport Bands today

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lupend88, May 24, 2015.

1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

Why you ask?

I own the Space Black Stainless Steel watch which you guys all know only comes with a Link Bracelet. My mentality was simple.. wear the Link Bracelet at all times except when working out, then wear either your white or black Sport Band.

Day 2 of owning this beauty comes around, I put on the black Sport Band to workout, and realize it's no more comfortable than my Link Bracelet. I worked out with the Link Bracelet the next day and it was amazing.

My point is, why would I own two bands that are lesser quality, look less attractive, and aren't even more comfortable to wear while being active? I'm curious, did anybody else do the same? Thanks for listening to my rambling!

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Do you have any concerns with the sweat from your body potentially adding to increased wear and tear on your link band as well as scratching potential?

3. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Because the sport band won't scratch my MBP when I'm working on it :cool:

4. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

I would say no. I have owned a (obviously non-Apple watch) link bracelet for the past 5 years and always wore it working out, and never scratched it and it's still looking great after this time.

5. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I'm torn about this. I own the SSSB as well and I don't find the sport any more comfortable either. Like someone mentioned I'm concerned about sweat coating all those tiny parts in the links, I can see it making it difficult to push the buttons in the future.

That being said I find it burdensome to remove the link, put on the sport band and then do the reverse EVERY time I workout.

6. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

I couldn't agree more. I know it's easier to switch bands than other watches, but do you know what's more convenient than switching bands easily? Not switching bands at all. Switching bands every day, every time I workout, will become a hassle. This watch is supposed to add convenience, not work. I'm loving it so far and plan to take the ultra simplistic approach and keep my one amazing band on at all times :)

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Too me it seems like you're trying to justify your decision for which there is no need by posting a thread here. If you're happy with your choice then so be it. Personally I would never wear an expensive metal link band whilst working out.

8. bobTX10 macrumors member

So true. The link band is just as comfy as the sport band.

But being a nurse, I have to have the sport band. The link is way too nice to be worn with scrubs in a hospital setting :)

9. Wsidewarrior07 macrumors member

I also returned my sport bands, between the link and leather loops I don't need anything else. I was on the very last hole on the sport band anyway, they were always way too tight.

10. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Typing with your wrists resting on the laptop body is associated with an increased risk for developing carpal tunnel. The best way to avoid injury while typing is to keep your hands floating above the keyboard.

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen anyone workout with a SS /link band watch...especially a $1000 one. That'd be a first.

12. IndomitableBana macrumors member

I've got the Space Black SS with link bracelet and a blue sport band. I prefer working out with the sport band. I wear the LB slightly loose (as I've always done with link bracelets) but I prefer the light, snug feel of the sport band for exercise.

13. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yeah I've never seen this before either, and I can't understand wearing such an expensive band while working out, just because it's comfy. If there is a sports band option, unless it hurts or gives me a feeling of discomfort, I'm wearing that when working out. Regardless, there is no way I'm risking any sort of damage to my $1k watch while working out

14. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Knock on wood, I've been wearing a link bracelet watch for the last 5 years without a single scratch on it from working out, so that's not a concern of mine. A lot of it comes down to switching the band on a daily basis just for an hour of exercise. To me, it makes it more work than convenience at that point.

15. RhythmGuru macrumors member

RhythmGuru

I have a citizen black link bracelet on an eco drive watch and the black coating has rubbed off where my wrist rests on my desk. I love the Bock, but if it's not anodized I'd be worried about wearing off the black oxide (I'm assuming that's the costing) layer.

16. paulgandersman macrumors regular

I don't think the real issue is scratching it while working out, more so that the constant sweat from your body will get in between the links and get grimy and wear them out over time. THAT's what I'd be mainly worried about. Whereas with the sport band, there's no worry about it getting all gross and sweaty.

17. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Do you think the sweat can be cleaned?

18. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

IMO, you would look like a tool working out in a metal link bracelet. I'm picturing you on an elliptical reading your kindle.

19. CharlesShaw, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

Yes, just like other metal watch bands can be cleaned.

20. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I LOVE the link band so far.

I don't use the band for working out though.

The link band is more likely to start showing wear and tear fore the body. Having the Sports band will help me keep my link band pristine.

21. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

I've never used an elliptical and don't own a kindle. Maybe someone else, but not me. It's obviously being marketed as something that can be done with a link bracelet so I'm not sure where that ridiculous mentality comes from..

[​IMG]

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Links are typically less flexible. If it works go for it, but this wouldn't be comfortable for me.

----------

In my years of working out. The only people that look like tools are those that are busy worrying how others look while working out.

23. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

+1 lol, love this!!!!

24. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Very well said, +2!

25. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I worked out twice with the link bracelet until my sports band arrived. It's comfortable, but the sports band is so light.