I returned my 16GB iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blackberrypilot, Nov 24, 2010.

1. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

and upgraded to the 32 GB on the 14th day since purchased. I recommend the 32GB to anyone looking to purchase an iPad. 16GB fills up very quickly with iPad HD apps and with movies and songs.

Word of wisdom... 32 or 64GB!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

3. Pinger macrumors regular

Still have 4gb free on my 16gb but my next iPad will be 32gb for sure..

4. thesmoth macrumors 6502

That was my biggest gripe when the ipad was released, and one of the many reasons I didn't buy one.

My 16 gig ipod touch is full of music and apps. I have no room for video, and if I want new apps I have to delete old apps or delete music.

Now if I have an ipad, I want more video, bigger and better apps, and the same music as my ipod touch. So obviously 16 gigs is not great.

On the one hand, a giant ipod isn't convenient for listening to music and so I could easily get away with only putting a gig or two of music on it, and using my ipod shuffle and macbook pro for the rest.

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

6. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Not me. Perfectly satisfied with my 16gb from day 1, and never regretted spending more than I needed. In addition for me, it didn't make sense to lavish money on a product that'll soon be outdated and replaced by the next version.

But I don't begrudge 32/64gb buyers if space was that much of an issue. In my case, remote web access/browsing was the objective, rather than as a music/video entertainment system.

7. lidomkj macrumors regular

16gb is fine for me. Have 32gb iPhone4 with most of my stuff on it. iPad is mainly for surfing web on bigger screen, watching Hulu/Netflix, email and word processing. Few apps, but most everything is on my phone since that is always with me.

Might change my tune more I use it, but will wait and see what the next version holds and get a larger storage one then.

8. pizz macrumors regular

Same here. and I have alot of apps! I use my iPod for music so that gives a lot more room to play with.

9. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I have 40 gb of music, 300 gb of movies.

And it would be ridiculous to put it all on my iPad. 16 gb is fine unless you're into strange iPad habits like watching movies on a tiny screen after the invention of the television.

10. jull macrumors member

jull

11. vertigo78 macrumors regular

12. jdcell100 macrumors regular

If you don't store movies 16gig is fine for almost anybody

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

14. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Im going to be using mine for my music player (had my old ipod stolen, was waiting to see if the price of the 64 gig touch was going to go down, it didnt and was using a cheap zune to tide me over) so I ordered the 64 gig ipad.

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I have 7GB of space on my 16GB iPad.

I use ZumoCast to stream music and video to my ipad.

Plus now with 4.2, it does this in the background. Perfect.

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Well, the 64's best if you've a huge media library, if not, just stick with the 32. It'll serve your needs perfectly fine.

17. el-John-o, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

el-John-o macrumors 65816

Believe it or not Apple is not making a whole lot of money off of these things (in volume yes, but the markup on one, especially when you consider R&D, is hardly anything)

That said, the only way your gonna get it at or under $500 is the 16GB version, which is good enough for some people. There are lots of WiFi external storage devices and other storage solutions for the iPad, which is perfect for folks who aren't always on the go with their iPad (I know lots of folks who just use them at home).

Everyone is different, it's silly to determine something is a bad product because the BASE model doesn't suit your needs, that's why apple also made the 32 and 64GB models, as you can see from this thread, there are lots of folks for which 16GB was enough.

18. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

did you have to pay the restocking fee of 10%?

19. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

i don't believe this. of course they're making money from every single one!

20. TomCondon macrumors regular

Thats why a company like TJ MAXX can purchase them wholesale and sell them for 50$ less and make a tidy profit. yeah that sounds about right.

how about you link us some figures?

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

For us travelers who don't want to strap our 47" LCD HDTV on our backs, in our cars, or through airport security, a 64GB iPad is just the ticket.

Cheers,

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

I dont think they bought anything wholesale. I think they sold as a loss leader.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

He said they weren't making MUCH money from each one and they're not.

TJ MAXX was selling them at a loss.

24. Ksane macrumors regular

I wish I'd have saved $230 and NOT gotten 3G (which I've never used as they did away with unlimited right after I bought mine) and a 32 gb since I'm only using 3 GB and a 16 GB would've suited me fine. With apps like Zumocast and LogMeIn there's just no reason for me to have movies/music stored on mine as I exclusively use it at home. Live and learn not to listen to everyone else.

25. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

If I didn't store movies on my iPad, I would have about 6GB left of my 16GB. And I probably won't keep movies on it very often. I just wanted a few for my upcoming plane trip since I'm away from my mac at the moment.