I returned my Macbook pro today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Alexjones, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

I felt bad on my way to Fed ex today. I really gave Lion a chance. Is it me?. I still have my 2010 MBP which I simply love. Hopefully if Apple comes up with a fix, I will repurchase it.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

What problems did you have with Lion? I have found it to be an upgrade but I know that others really haven't liked it..

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

4. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Can you not format the drive and install SL? I was planning on purchasing a new computer later this year, and I was prepared to wipe it first thing so I can have Rosetta back. Now you're making me worried.

5. Alexjones, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

The heat is one thing. It approached 80c by simply surfing the web. When i try to exit a window, It doesn't exit right away. I usually have to click the x three or four times.My external hard drive didn't open last night. Just a lot of little things that didn't feel right. I will be more than happy to repurchase it when its all fixed.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

That sounds more like user error than Lion's fault :rolleyes:

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I haven't had any of those problems...

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, but to be fair it's not Microsoft's fault that 60% of the population unwillingly installs Trojans on Windows, but yet Windows gets the blame, not Microsoft. I don't see why it should be any different for Apple.

9. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. What error?

10. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Actually a lot of people are complaning about their laptop running warmer after installing Lion. So I highly doubt this is a user error. U should've waited for the update b4 returning it. Maybe the new update will resolve all thiese issues.

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It's not. I had similar issues until I did a clean install. But it shouldn't be an issue with a brand new computer

12. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

it came installed with Lion.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree that it should have been correct out of the box, but there are no guarantees. A c0-worker's husband works for the local Apple store and when they got their image from Apple to load on the display computers, it was bad and they had to drive to another store to get a good copy (everyone that they loaded was a bad install, so it could happen directly from Apple as well if they had a bad image).

14. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Someone on another thread claimed that they installed the HDD from their older MBP into their new MBP and it worked correctly (the new on was a Lion version and the old one was a SL version). This is the first I have heard of this working, but might have tried cloning your old drive from your 2010 and installing the drive into the new one??

16. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

An Apple Tech I talked to last week said this is not possible. According to him, if the MBP ships with Lion, you cannot wipe, reformat and install Snow Leopard... something about firmware not allowing it.

17. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Should of at least waited a few months for updated, worse came to worse, just install SL.

You didn't really need the laptop that much if you returned it. :(

18. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Oh dear. Not sure what I'll do then-- I can't use Lion since I need Rosetta, and my 5yo MBP is starting to show its age. I guess I can replace some of my PPC software, but about half of it is irreplaceable.

19. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

my mbp is also running hot. as well as staying hot when all apps are closed and the lid is closed. its only happened since lion but doesn't happen all the time. then there are a few bugs i have found. its a risk installing from the .0 release but im ok with that. and im sure apple is working hard squashing bugs before they release 10.7.1. by 10.7.3 im sure lion will be very stable.

your case does sound weird getting that from a brand new computer. it shouldn't have happened. hopefully they fix it and you want to rebuy the machine. good luck!

20. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Why not return it while you can and then repurchase when the bugs are fixed?

Once you are out of your return window, you no longer have the choice in the matter.

21. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I'm sure you can still get a new MBP with SL from an apple reseller. Or you can buy a refurbished MBP.

22. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Yeah, I did it last night.
    I bought this gen MBP to be able to run SL, and it came with Lion,
    no disks at all. Tried to use the SL disks I have here, but kernel panic,
    no go. Probably you need 10.6.8 to be able to fresh install on
    the latest 2.3GHz i7...
    So simply started from my old SSD and it worked like a charm.
    I called Apple this morning and some amazing tech told me this MBP
    wouldn't run SL at all as it came with Lion - thanks, no different than
    the cable co. as far as the quality of your tech support :(
    All I wanted is the install SL disk for my MBP...

23. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

No worries, you can try Amazon, BHphoto, or other Apple re-sellers. I needed Snow Leopard too, so I just went online and bought a new MBP from the refurb store last week.

You've got a little bit of time, but if you want snow leopard you need to get ready to make a move pretty quick

24. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I'll probably end up getting a refurb, since I need to buy direct from Apple (I've been purchasing Apple gift cards from people on Craigslist for less than face value in anticipation of my purchase). I was going to hold out even longer for the rumored 15" Air, but forget that I guess.

Unless, of course, a third party creates a Rosetta replacement. That's my last hope :eek: