I said I would never buy one

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scupking, Mar 9, 2012.

1. scupking macrumors 6502a

So I just ordered the 16GB Wifi black iPad last night. I always use to say there is no point in having an iPad since my phone does the same thing and I use my 13" MBP all the time. I figured ahhh what the heck lets just try it out and see how it is. The one thing an iPad needs is an SD slot. Apple should then just sell 2 models a 16GB wifi and 16GB 4g then let people put whatever size SD in it. My phone now has 48GBs in it (16GB built in 32GB SD).

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Congrats.
    If Apple allowed for SD cards they would not be able to offer more than one size and most likely charge more for the device.
    There are a bunch of wifi hard drives you can buy and expand that way.

3. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

That sir is a very good idea!

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The problem with adding a SD card is that you would have to open up the file system to the user, and that just ain't gonna happen. Google has struggled a bit in implementing the SD card concept. The user has to be savvy enough to know what goes on the SD card, and use a file manager. Not Apple's target audience.... :cool:

5. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple could figure out away. When I put all my music on my phone (Droid Razr Maxx) it automatically went to the SD card. Also all the pictures automatically go to the SD card. Apple can do it. I think it would cut down on the production cost since they would then only have to make 2 iPads. I also think even more people would buy them.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Look at Camera Connection kit.

Apple is always for simple and reliable.

However if a user is wanting to complicate their lives, I think they should give option.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How is a bulky sd card reader hanging off the bottom of my iPad (extremely inconvenient when using in portrait mode BTW) simple and reliable? I'm constantly worried I'm gonna snap it off.

8. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I was very anti-ipad and after using my friends for a good hour or two it actually surprised me how slick it was so ordered a nice iPad 3 16gb 4g... now I told everyone at work I would never buy one...

Lesson to self never say never.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That SD card reader is only good for pictures. They've dumbed down the interface and selected one type of file that you can access. You have been deemed not smart enough to store apps on that SD card, or music, or movies.

Denied.

/observations sprinkled with sarcasm :cool:

10. Moze macrumors member

I didn't think I'd ever want one... I used to make fun of the concept and how it's a laptop without the power or keyboard or a large phone without voice capabilities. It took a few hours playing with the iPad2 to really get it.

My tech toys drive my fiance nuts -- I have 2 work laptops, a giant gaming rig, an alienware laptop, a Kindle, and a smartphone... Given that, it was even hard to convince MYSELF that having an extra tech toy would prove beneficial.

There's definitely a special niche for the iPad in its mobility and functionality. I'm now a fan and will be getting the new one.

11. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

12. jeffg819 macrumors regular

13. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

14. Lukeyy19, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

but unless they charged $100 for a 16GB SD card, they wouldn't make the money they make now.

the money they will lose from not offering higher capacity models, will not be outweighed by the 6 extra people who will buy an iPad because it has an SD card slot.

15. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or another option would be to have the 32GB $599 and 32GB 4g for $729 and include an SD slot. I would pay the $599 for 32GBs and then have an SD slot. I don't see how they would lose money doing this. Its always fun to think about the future.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Profit margins on the 32GB and 64GB models more than make up for the possible loss from people wanting an SD storage expansion slot. The majority of people who say they would buy an iPad if it had expandable storage wouldn't actually buy an iPad with expandable storage.

As a photographer though I would like a built in SD slot just for photos. But I can just keep the card reader in my camera bag so it isn't a huge deal. I just wish the new iPhoto could handle RAW files rather than processing the built in jpegs...maybe in iOS 6...

17. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

However many other people would rather not spend the extra $100.00 and deal with the room they have other ways.

18. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that a class 10 64 GB SDHC card and the built-in storage on the iPad are not even on the same planet in terms of read/write speed. It's not an apples to apples comparison. (No pun intended :))

Using an SD card to store your photos seems like an okay idea until you fire up iPhoto or Snapseed or whatever, and then reading all the photos or writing edited photos becomes glacially slow. You definitely don't want apps loading from SD. Music doesn't need high data speeds, but my feeling is most of the world has moved past shuffling songs around on SD cards and is happy to exchange the flexibility of SD cards for the simplicity of syncing with iTunes and iCloud.

Apple is never going to put an SD slot in the iPad.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I really did not express what I wanted to say...

What was I going to say??

FAIL.

Oh, yeah.

The Connection kit is meant for accessing pictures, making it simple but limited, and example of how to reduce complexity of the OS, not the hardware.

I do agree it is time to have a built in reader, better yet USB, but latter does present space and OS issues.

Message is clear, however: external media is only for storage, not OS and App space.

20. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

The only reason I would want an SD Card on an iPad is to put photos on it.
    I think the iPad is a great great showcaser for a Photo Portfolio. Also, with the new PhotoShop App, I think it would come in handy to be able to unload some photos straight from your camera to your iPad, without the computer middleman.

21. matttye macrumors 601

If you understand one kind of removable storage you pretty much understand them all. Sd cards, thumb drives, CDs, floppy disks, external hard drives..pretty much the same concept.

Being able to use external storage equipment isnt exactly an advanced topic. I can't possibly see why you think Google has struggled with the concept.

22. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

lol at the person saying a sd card being bulky and hanging out. You need to try other products out besides Apple. SD cards don't hang out of cell phones or tablets.

23. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

He was referring to the Camera Connection Kit, which is a 2 pack of dock connected dongles... one is a USB port, the other is a SD card reader...which is... wait for it.... bulky and hanging out.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

When I say struggled, I was referring to the delay in implementing the feature in the Xoom when it first came out with Honeycomb. Even today it is a bit kludgy with the sdcard and extStorages labels. To me, SD card is SD card, but to my Tab SD card is the internal memory and extStorages is the actual removable SD card. It takes 1 second to figure this out for me, but I'm not so sure I want to be explaining this to my Dad. :eek:

I agree with you, this is not an advanced concept. That is precisely my point. Apple has decided that it is, and that we are better off without it. :cool:

25. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I think people are missing the point a bit here...

The guy simply said he'd like to see an SD card slot (like the MBA has) built in to the side of the iPad.