Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Hi, i have a 2006 Mac Book Pro 15 inches and lately this weird thing started happening.
During booting up the screen has some faded bluish lines and when booting sequence is complete all i see is some strange patterns and the closest thing i can think of is that they look kind like a tartan design and nothing else and of course i cannot use the Mac.
But that's not all, when i put the OS DVD in the drive and do a restart usually but not always, the Mac starts up and works as normal.
Anyone has seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yiorgos.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Open your 2006 Mac Book and clean all gone dust out. Then pray your video card hadn't gone the way of the dodo.

Seconded. Either a really buggy video driver or the video card is getting ready to go. They can cause some really funky pattern issues. If dusting doesn't help then that could be the issue.

cal296

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
It's probably too late and your GPU is damaged. Try to enter the OS X Installer and if you see the patterns there then you know it ain't a graphics kext issue and it is a hardware issue. You will need a logic board replacement and they come with a hefty price tag.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi, i have a 2006 Mac Book Pro 15 inches and lately this weird thing started happening.
During booting up the screen has some faded bluish lines and when booting sequence is complete all i see is some strange patterns and the closest thing i can think of is that they look kind like a tartan design and nothing else and of course i cannot use the Mac.
But that's not all, when i put the OS DVD in the drive and do a restart usually but not always, the Mac starts up and works as normal.
Anyone has seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yiorgos.

Try booting into your OS X DVD and just letting it sit there to see if the issue presents itself. If it does then you are beginning to have a a failing GPU which will warrant replacement of the main Logic Board.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Thank you all for your help, i will try and get any dust out and see how it goes. Is the GPU part of the motherboard? If it is then would changing motherboard should fix it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you all for your help, i will try and get any dust out and see how it goes. Is the GPU part of the motherboard? If it is then would changing motherboard should fix it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks.

Yes. The GPU is soldered on and would warrant a Logic Board replacement.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
It is replaced with the Logic Board since it is soldered on.

So the GPU and the CPU are soldered on the logic board? Another thing I just tried is that I started the Macbbook on safe mode and I can see the desktop etc except that the Airport is disabled.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So the GPU and the CPU are soldered on the logic board? Another thing I just tried is that I started the Macbbook on safe mode and I can see the desktop etc except that the Airport is disabled.

Yes. The GPU and CPU are soldered to the board. The reason why it works in Safe Mode is because the graphics drivers are not loaded.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Yes. The GPU and CPU are soldered to the board. The reason why it works in Safe Mode is because the graphics drivers are not loaded.

So basically I need to buy a logic board. Do I need to buy the exact same or can I go for one with a larger processor? For example mine is the one with the Intel Core Duo 1.8GHz, will it work if I get one with the Core 2 Duo 2.0 or 2.16GHz or something?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So basically I need to buy a logic board. Do I need to buy the exact same or can I go for one with a larger processor? For example mine is the one with the Intel Core Duo 1.8GHz, will it work if I get one with the Core 2 Duo 2.0 or 2.16GHz or something?

As long as it is from the same model series...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Model series of the logic board or the Mac? I know I'm asking too many questions, thanks for your patients.

So long as it is an A1150 model Logic Board. I am not too familiar with these older MacBook Pros as I mainly work on older PowerPC era machines and newer Unibody ones. Intell, a well respected member here, can answer this.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I HATH BEEN SUMMONED BY THY NAME. *Puts cheese hat on Altemose*

I'm a bit rusty with this particular model Macbook Pro. I do know that no Core2Duo logicboard will fit in that machine. From what I do recall, both the early-2006 and May/mid-2006 Macbook Pro use the same logicboard. But the late-2006 Macbook Pro, the first Core2Duo, model will not fit.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I HATH BEEN SUMMONED BY THY NAME. *Puts cheese hat on Altemose*

I'm a bit rusty with this particular model Macbook Pro. I do know that no Core2Duo logicboard will fit in that machine. From what I do recall, both the early-2006 and May/mid-2006 Macbook Pro use the same logicboard. But the late-2006 Macbook Pro, the first Core2Duo, model will not fit.

OK thank you Intell.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You're welcome. Also, make sure you get a 15" logicboard. A 17" logicboard won't fit in your machine.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
In summary, any Core Duo board should work.

Thanks for your help Altemose, i will keep all this in mind. I have found quite a few logicboards A1150 models you have quoted coming from the US and they're quite cheap.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Good luck on getting one. Just a tip, make sure you do fresh paste with the new board.

Do you mean that i near to remove/replace that substance that holds the components on the logic board?
Also, i have come across a video showing someone heating up a GPU with similar problem to mine with a heat gun and then apparently works as normal. Have you heard about this?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Do you mean that i near to remove/replace that substance that holds the components on the logic board?

Also, i have come across a video showing someone heating up a GPU with similar problem to mine with a heat gun and then apparently works as normal. Have you heard about this?

No, thermal paste goes between the CPU and GPU and the heatsink. It is a thermal conductor and helps transfer the heat. Without it, the machine will overheat. Over time it degrades, much like the oil in your car. Fortunately, it should only be changed every couple of years.

The video about people baking their logic board is kind of a homemade way reflow them. I have done this with various degrees of success. Generally I put the logic board in the oven for 7 1/2 minutes at 375 Fahrenheit.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

I was going to suggest you consider a new MBP because I remember the logic board replacement in my son's 2009 13 inch MBP would have been $900 if not for AppleCare but then I found a logic board similar to yours on Amazon for around $200 so perhaps it's worth a try to find one that will get you back up and running again. Please find some thermal paste as well as you don't want to install a logic board without thermal paste to get the heat from the CPU and GPU conducted to their respective heatsinks.

I know you are in a hurry, but please take the time to read this disclaimer:

Please note that I am NOT saying this will fit your machine. It's simply one claiming to be from a 2006 15" MBP so I'm using it only as an isolated example of the going price. And even if it does fit, I didn't see anything on the seller's page referring to warranty or returns so I am NOT saying this will work in your machine.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
No, thermal paste goes between the CPU and GPU and the heatsink. It is a thermal conductor and helps transfer the heat. Without it, the machine will overheat. Over time it degrades, much like the oil in your car. Fortunately, it should only be changed every couple of years.

The video about people baking their logic board is kind of a homemade way reflow them. I have done this with various degrees of success. Generally I put the logic board in the oven for 7 1/2 minutes at 375 Fahrenheit.

I think trying the oven trick is worth a go. I guess before or after you do that the thermal paste will need replacing?

----------

I was going to suggest you consider a new MBP because I remember the logic board replacement in my son's 2009 13 inch MBP would have been $900 if not for AppleCare but then I found a logic board similar to yours on Amazon for around $200 so perhaps it's worth a try to find one that will get you back up and running again. Please find some thermal paste as well as you don't want to install a logic board without thermal paste to get the heat from the CPU and GPU conducted to their respective heatsinks.

I know you are in a hurry, but please take the time to read this disclaimer:

Please note that I am NOT saying this will fit your machine. It's simply one claiming to be from a 2006 15" MBP so I'm using it only as an isolated example of the going price. And even if it does fit, I didn't see anything on the seller's page referring to warranty or returns so I am NOT saying this will work in your machine.

Hi and thanks for your help. I'm going to put the logic board in the oven and heat it up for a few minutes like another user has done with some success apparently and depending on the result the next step will be to get a second hand logic board.
Thanks for your assistance, i must say people in this Forum are very very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.