I sold my iPhone on ebay but need advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gospelfrances, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Gospelfrances macrumors newbie

well i sold my iPhone 4 on ebay but I have not send it because the buyer's address is the same of a cleaning service company, I already told the buyer and he says that he does not know about that company and he says he live in that address. here is the address ebay provides me about the buyer 5432 Calle De Oro Evansville, IN 47712-2722 and here is the company with the same address http://www.manta.com/c/mml2fc7/wahl-s-cleaning-service

2. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Get money first, send it after.

Who cares where it goes once you get your money.

3. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

He did pay and the money is pending in paypal, i am thinking in buying insurance for the package and require an adult signature. This is my first time selling something on ebay that's why am very cautious

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Yes get direct signature, and insurance is his address confirmed on paypal. And does he have good feedback on eBay? Because if he has 0 feedback I wouldn't send it to him.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

While I'm no expert at eBay, I think your very right to be cautious. I might even contact the cleaning company to see if any other eBay stuff has be (mis)directed through their address before.

eBay (like the rest of humanity) just has too many scammers NOT to use caution. Personally, I'd sell only thru a FTF meeting, but that has it's own can of worms.

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Try google maps. I just checked the address and all I could see was houses, no cleaning service shop.

7. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

I was under the impression that in order to qualify for Seller Protection through PayPal you have to get a signature upon delivery for any item worth more than $250.

Also, the company you linked has ONE employee. It's very possible that the previous owners of that house had a cleaning business and registered it under that address.

8. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your advices, the buyer has only two ratings and his account is from 2009.

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

only send to paypal verified addresses. it's either the CC billing address or another address the buyer verified with his CC company.

and add tracking and signature depending on the transaction price

10. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to call the cleaning company but no one answers the phone, I already send him a message that I will cancel the order if he does not show me proof that he lives in that address

11. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

Well he send me a message and gave me the apartments name and telephone number but I called and they told me they can't give me the information who lives in those apartment. The aparments are called Mission Viejo Villas Apartments and the telephone number (812) 423-2323

12. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

Even if you get the money first the buyer can file a charge back and paypal will take back the money to buyer. And even if you transfer the money from paypal to bank account...paypal can tell the bank to reverse the amount back to buyer.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

^^^This. If his address is Paypal verified, you only need to send it out with online tracking and signature confirmation to be covered by Paypal's protection. If it's NOT Paypal verified, it's not covered no matter how you independently verify it.

14. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

yes his address is verify by paypal, but I am afraid that he files something against me, this my first time selling something in ebay. I will record a video showing the phone is fully functional even though in my item description I stated that the phone was sold as is and that all sales are final

15. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I mean its always good to be cautious but this seems fine. you're being a little too paranoid about this. just send it requiring a signature and insurance if you want.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

This is why I always set up my sales on Ebay with a high buy it now and let them do offers. That way I can screen the buyer.

There have been way too many horror stories out there with people selling devices and having Ebay complaints against them for me to do it any other way.

17. dacapo macrumors 6502

Aren't you only required to ship out an item AFTER the payment has cleared? Usually that's what any eBay listing says...

I'd wait for it to clear through paypal out of the pending status.

18. dacapo macrumors 6502

Disclosing one's phone number and residence is not good etiquette.

19. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

20. dacapo macrumors 6502

Yes, maybe just a little.:D
    But I think you're right to be cautious.

Remember, don't ship out anything until the payment clears. It's okay to wait.

And only ship to the paypal verified address. (If the buyer requests a different address, I believe you can open up a case with eBay and have the transaction voided.)

Good luck!

PS. But keep in mind, if he has already paid you, then from his standpoint, it's possible that you may not ship anything, which could make him paranoid too. You know, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. :)

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sometimes PayPal will put a hold on the funds until you either receive positive feedback for the item or prove delivery. It's cleared but they are effectively holding it in escrow to protect the buyer. They tend to do it with new sellers and things such as iPhones so I suspect that's what's happened here.

22. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the money is on hold in paypayl until the package arrives or when the buyer leave good feedback.

23. anthonie macrumors newbie

I sold my gf's 3GS on ebay and I was worried about the same thing, the funds were on hold until he received the package or left me positive feedback that he received the phone. I put a passcode lock on it and had him contact me for the passcode after he left me positive feedback that he actually received the phone. Paypal released the funds after he left me feedback.

The address was confirmed and I shipped via UPS as well. I would not ship if the address was not paypal confirmed.

24. Gospelfrances thread starter macrumors newbie

hey that's a good idea, i will probably do the same thanks

25. dacapo macrumors 6502

I see! Thanks for correcting my assumption. In that case, the OP should send out the iPhone as early as it's convenient.

I also think the passcode idea is a very reasonable one! :)