I swear I have a virus. Only in Firefox.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Occasionally when in Firefox, a random broadcast begins to play through my speakers. An ad first comes on and then some English guy is translating some foreign guy speaking while he makes some type of food.

When I quit Firefox, the sound disappears.

Anyone have any idea?

Ctt713

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
It's probably on the same website. Easy fix is just don't go there anymore. Also make sure never to click on it that's what can give you the nasty stuff.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Considering the only tab open currently is Macrumors, and there are no other windows hiding in the dock, I'm going to say that I still have a problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Considering the only tab open currently is Macrumors, and there are no other windows hiding in the dock, I'm going to say that I still have a problem.
Did you clear the cache, as recommended? What is the site?

machiabelly

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
An ad first comes on and then some English guy is translating some foreign guy speaking while he makes some type of food.
LOL. sorry can't help with figuring out whether you have a virus or not, but that cracked me up...

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
We may never see the day when even 50% of the computing population understands what a computer virus is / what a virus does to a computer. :rolleyes:

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can only spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.

Macmaniac411

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
I'll delete firefox, and the firefox folders in ~/library and then just redownload and install from mozilla. If it persists it must be a flash ad

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
We may never see the day when even 50% of the computing population understands what a computer virus is / what a virus does to a computer. :rolleyes:

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can only spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.
Either way, virus or not, it is pesky and annoying and an addition to my computing life I didn't ask for.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Either way, virus or not, it is pesky and annoying and an addition to my computing life I didn't ask for.
Ads ARE pesky and annoying, but so is the fact that so many who don't understand something that's happening on their Macs tend to post threads like "I swear I have a virus.", even when none exist.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAH I have a virus too! Its like the exact same thing. Except I get this really annoying britney spears song that plays non stop. But it only happens when I visit this one myspace profile.

Was I hacKED?!!!?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AAAAAAAAAAH I have a virus too! Its like the exact same thing. Except I get this really annoying britney spears song that plays non stop. But it only happens when I visit this one myspace profile.

Was I hacKED?!!!?
Yes, it's a virus. It's in your head. The good news is, it can be removed. Here's the virus-removal tool:

:D

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Ads ARE pesky and annoying, but so is the fact that so many who don't understand something that's happening on their Macs tend to post threads like "I swear I have a virus.", even when none exist.
Oh they COULD exist. Don't be so hard headed.

Sorry but I understood exactly what was happening... Just didn't know HOW it was happening. Misunderstanding.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
LOL I loled at this post for real.

All it is is ad banners making noise. It happens all the time. I get tickets for this at work when users think the same thing.

Nothing to worry about.

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Oh they COULD exist. Don't be so hard headed.
That was not the point, nor is it being hard headed. A virus for the Mac does NOT exist. Just a fact. You are correct. They could exist, but none do. You'll hear about it on the nightly news whenever/if it happens.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
That was not the point, nor is it being hard headed. A virus for the Mac does NOT exist. Just a fact. You are correct. They could exist, but none do. You'll hear about it on the nightly news whenever/if it happens.
+1... the day a virus for Macs starts circulating around you will definitely hear about it trust me.

brainmaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
ok, virus, trojan, scripting, hidden ads, whatever it is, I've been having a similar problem for months now and it's gotten to the point where I can't visit certain sites and other just redirect me to nothing almost instantly...like when i try to visit weather.com! ff is slow as hell and so is safari. I used to get this "windows security has detected some crap and needs you to install some junk" all the damn time on every website on both ff and safari. I don't care what you guys want to call it, but it's SOMETHING; not my computer tarded imagination. I've tried a reinstall, clearing the library/app support/ff/profiles..., clearing history and cookies and all to no avail.

Is there anyone out there who can give a solution to this problem rather than blind speculation and thread-crap? seriously, does anybody ACTUALLY KNOW something about this or is everyone just looking for an opportunity to make someone else look stupid?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure the fixed the OP's problem and didn't make anyone look stupid. If you feel personally insulted by any attacks directed towards you, perhaps you should PM a moderator.