I swear I have a virus. Only in Firefox.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nStyle, May 18, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Occasionally when in Firefox, a random broadcast begins to play through my speakers. An ad first comes on and then some English guy is translating some foreign guy speaking while he makes some type of food.

When I quit Firefox, the sound disappears.

Anyone have any idea?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's more than likely some flash ad in the background of a site you're visiting. I've had this happen before.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You DON'T have a virus! It's just audio that's part of the website you're visiting. What site is it?

Mac Malware Info

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried clearing the cache or reinstalling FireFox?

5. Ctt713 macrumors member

It's probably on the same website. Easy fix is just don't go there anymore. Also make sure never to click on it that's what can give you the nasty stuff.

6. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Considering the only tab open currently is Macrumors, and there are no other windows hiding in the dock, I'm going to say that I still have a problem.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you clear the cache, as recommended? What is the site?

8. machiabelly macrumors newbie

LOL. sorry can't help with figuring out whether you have a virus or not, but that cracked me up...

9. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Peculiar...

Check your add-ons etc, or just reinstall firefox.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

We may never see the day when even 50% of the computing population understands what a computer virus is / what a virus does to a computer. :rolleyes:

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can only spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.

11. Salmar macrumors regular

And besides I'm sure that a virus will infect the whole computer, not just one particular browser.

12. Macmaniac411 macrumors member

I'll delete firefox, and the firefox folders in ~/library and then just redownload and install from mozilla. If it persists it must be a flash ad

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just had it happen to me on Firefox. I think it's the DirectTV advertisement that is playing.

14. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Either way, virus or not, it is pesky and annoying and an addition to my computing life I didn't ask for.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ads ARE pesky and annoying, but so is the fact that so many who don't understand something that's happening on their Macs tend to post threads like "I swear I have a virus.", even when none exist.

16. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

AAAAAAAAAAH I have a virus too! Its like the exact same thing. Except I get this really annoying britney spears song that plays non stop. But it only happens when I visit this one myspace profile.

Was I hacKED?!!!?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's a virus. It's in your head. The good news is, it can be removed. Here's the virus-removal tool:
    [​IMG]
    :D

18. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh they COULD exist. Don't be so hard headed.

Sorry but I understood exactly what was happening... Just didn't know HOW it was happening. Misunderstanding.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

LOL I loled at this post for real.

All it is is ad banners making noise. It happens all the time. I get tickets for this at work when users think the same thing.

Nothing to worry about.

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That was not the point, nor is it being hard headed. A virus for the Mac does NOT exist. Just a fact. You are correct. They could exist, but none do. You'll hear about it on the nightly news whenever/if it happens.

21. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

QFT. AdBlock Plus is your best friend while web surfing. If you want to get really crazy, you can try NoScript, but most people don't want to deal with the hassle.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

+1... the day a virus for Macs starts circulating around you will definitely hear about it trust me.

24. brainmaster macrumors newbie

ok, virus, trojan, scripting, hidden ads, whatever it is, I've been having a similar problem for months now and it's gotten to the point where I can't visit certain sites and other just redirect me to nothing almost instantly...like when i try to visit weather.com! ff is slow as hell and so is safari. I used to get this "windows security has detected some crap and needs you to install some junk" all the damn time on every website on both ff and safari. I don't care what you guys want to call it, but it's SOMETHING; not my computer tarded imagination. I've tried a reinstall, clearing the library/app support/ff/profiles..., clearing history and cookies and all to no avail.

Is there anyone out there who can give a solution to this problem rather than blind speculation and thread-crap? seriously, does anybody ACTUALLY KNOW something about this or is everyone just looking for an opportunity to make someone else look stupid?

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pretty sure the fixed the OP's problem and didn't make anyone look stupid. If you feel personally insulted by any attacks directed towards you, perhaps you should PM a moderator.