I think all MBPS should have this

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jan1024188, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jan1024188, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013

jan1024188 macrumors member

Why can't MBP's have integrated sim card slot, which would allow for internet connectivity from anywhere?

I think this would be a single most useful feature and should come as a standard.

Thoughts anyone?

2. leman macrumors 604

I've been wondering about this for quite some time. I think the issue is the antenna (how would the whole thing work in the laptop body made from aluminium?) but also the battery life.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

Why would you not need mobile internet in a LAPTOP? Isn't the whole point of laptop to have internet when you're not home?

----------

They could put the antenna in the plastic hinge under display maybe?

5. leman macrumors 604

Well... now you are going a bit overbroad with the minimalism ;) If such a feature does not result in cost increase and does not sacrifice anything else (such as the dimension of the laptop), it would improve the usability of the MBP tredemdeously. Although its true that many places have WiFi... for instance, in Zurich I can find a WiFi almost everywhere (and as a university employee I can use all WiFi points for free ;) )

6. simsaladimbamba

Look, they now have the iPhone and the iPad with internet ability, why create another product with the same? And I do not need the internet the whole time, I actually cherish the times when I do not have it while out and being about, even when I have my MBP with me.
    And other notebook manufacturers also do not offer that as a widespread option (maybe there are some models having that capability, but they are not widespread as any MacBook or MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is).

There are enough third party solutions like tethering or dongles to connect a notebook to the internet. It is the same as with the Apple Remote or a Mini DVI to DVI or VGA adapter, they initially came with many new Intel Macs back in the day, but as Apple realised, that not many need them, they sold that separately. The same probably goes for such modems. And do not think, just because you or others you are acquainted with might need them, that others do.

----------

That was the next thing I wanted to add but forgot, the widespread availability of WiFi, at least in cities.

But on the other hand, by brother lives in the country and could need such built in modem, as there is no landline where he lives, bit moderate HDSPA availability.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I'm with simsaladimbamba. If you're not near an accessible wifi hotspot, just turn your mobile phone into a hotspot and go from there. Easy peasy and you'd only need the one data plan too.

I don't have the facts & figures but with the massive growth in smartphones in recent years, the demand for mobile data on laptops has probably declined.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It would be a great feature and it shouldn't really impact too much internally though I wonder how design/alteration of the metal enclosure would be required, due to any potential antenna issue.

I've been mobile on a number of occasions and wished I had this.

I mean they offer iPads as wifi (like the MBP) and cellular, so why not the MBP

9. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Doesn't mobile tethering almost solve this issue in most cases?

EDIT: bugger, beaten to the mark.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I travel frequently internationally and as has been said I just tether my MBP to one of my phones or tablet. It would be a nice feature, however not essential and it`s not so straight forward to implement in a MBP versus a PC thanks to the aluminium construction.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

dunno. I use mine to carry a computer back and forth between multiple locations where I have wifi. Or to sit on the couch instead of in front of a desk while working.

Mobile Internet just doesn't make sense for a laptop except in emergencies -- at least in the U.S., where data plans are prohibitively expensive and capped ridiculously low.

12. negativzero macrumors 6502

Well I think this says it all really. If the MacBook with cellular data were to be made like that, its hella butt ugly.

Besides, I think laptops don't really need cellular connections. And with the amount of things people do with laptops, most people would easily rip through their allocated data easily.

13. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Why not?

I would be in favour of that. No everybody has free access in wifi spots and once in a while we really miss having access to the net... for whatever reason.
    Even the Ipad comes with such possibility, why is ti more important to have the sim card in the Ipad that the MB I wonder?:confused:

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Its too expensive. And it is very easy to obtain the same function with a USB stick.

I believe that there are prototypes of MBPs with 3G antennas. Stuff like that sometimes shows up on Ebay. I assume that Apple in the end decided that only a minority of the user base requires such a feature, and that it was not worth it to cut back on other components for it.

15. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

The point of a laptop is NOT to have internet when you're not home. The point of a laptop is portability.

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

As has been pointed out already, iPad's have cellular capability, and they're even MORE portable than a laptop. It's not much of a stretch to see the benefit of having it in either.

17. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Because the iPad doesn't have a USB port where one could easily plug in a 3G/4G modem.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

There needs to be greater more fordable ways to connect a notebook wirelessly, we are in the age of wireless techonology like never before and we're still connected to so many wires and dongles, etc etc.

19. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

We want to have a super slick elegant computer and then we carry around a trolley full of small gizmos to make it work properly;). IMHO if the sim card port was integrated in the MB would really be a plus.

20. bigjobby macrumors 65816

but mobile phone tethering doesn't require any connected wires or dongles. Its completely wireless.

21. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The folks than need internet on the go already use a hotspot or tether to a phone.. or a tiny USB cell modem (the antenna is what keeps them large). Much more flexible and up-dateable from 1G, 2G, LTE.... No need to add the extra cost to the MBP, the RF circuits are far from free and do consume battery when in use. It takes much more than a SIM card to make it work.

A USB modem is free from most cell carriers. There is just no market for a built in capability.

Although they do a nice job on the iPAD... but does that mean the the MBP will need to have versions for each carrier... are there license issues..

I'd rather have a GPS receiver than a sim card slot.

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Cool!

Oooh, thanks !!

23. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

Tethering eats battery on the phone in like 50 minutes.

24. onirocdarb macrumors regular

When I have needed internet on the go I have just tethered with the cord in, but that eats up your laptop battery and sometimes it can make my phone too hot to hold.
    I wonder how power hungry an LTE connection would be on a laptop

25. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Adding cellular data connectivity to a Macbook requires more than just adding a sim card slot.

You've got to have a whole wireless radio setup with antennas alongside the existing WiFi antenna system. They would have to find a place on an aluminum notebook where they could actually get a decent radio signal, which could be fairly difficult. Notice how the cellular iPads all have the plastic cutout window on the back for the radio signals.

You also have to deal with different cellular standards (GSM/HSPA/CDMA/EVDO/LTE) each of which can use multiple different frequencies depending on the carrier. That's why the iPhones and iPads have different models for different carriers and different countries.

Another thing to consider is that currently there's no infrastructure in OSX to deal with the difference between a cellular and a WiFi connection like there is in iOS. You don't want things like software updates and iTunes to automatically download a bunch of files in the background when you're on your cellular connection.

So yes it would be possible, but there are a lot of things that would have to be figured out and it may not be worth it compared to how many of the cellular models they would realistically sell.