I think Apple has given up on me what should I do

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charliebird, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Long, long story short I purchase an iMac on Nov. 1st and since then I've been a serial of issues, problems, and machines. I'm on iMac number six which has an issue with sleep mode. Since I received the machine 13 days ago it's had an issue where does not wake up from sleep mode. The system fan comes on however the machine never fully turns on. To bring the machine back up I have to cycle the power using the power button. This issue has happened seven times. I called up Applecare and worked with a technician who diagnosed it as a hardware issue. He had me reformatted my system and reset the pram, etc... He said the machine should be replaced since it was brand new. I've been working with Apple executive customer care so I called them up with this information and case number. The customer representative immediately said Apple will not replace anymore systems for me and I could either take it in for service or get a refund. In the past I've gone down the service route with bad results. I wasn't even set on having the machine replaced since I'm happy with it in every other way. My impression is that Apple has given up on me. Anyone have any comments, suggestions, or advice for me?

2. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Get your refund and go buy a different machine. These kinds of repeated problems are an outrage...!!!

3. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Ditto, six machines is unbelievable!

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Also call Apple Customer Relations and explain your situation to them, they might be able to help you out better.

If not, then get a refund and buy a new machine.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^this
    Your patience is far greater than mine.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

sleep mode has been buggy for a decade on PC's as well. get a refund and put up with the same thing on a Wintel machine or learn to live with it

7. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

Bollocks.

8. Dekimasu macrumors regular

I agree that sleep isn't bad. "Hibernate" has been pretty buggy in my experience, though.

9. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

You must be the most unlucky mac user ever. Here is what you should do:

Demand another machine.

If that machine doesn't fix the issue, threaten to file a report with the bbb unless you give them a brand new 27in quad core iMac or a Mac Pro with a display

Be happy with new mac

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

100% true. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't work in IT.

I get at least 2 tickets a day regarding this where I work and we use win machines. I have the same on my macbook pro and on my linux netbook.

Its been this way for a long long time on every operating system. I don't use sleep mode for that reason. Its just not necessary anymore.

Also, to the OP, not saying this is the case with you but from the companies standpoint people start to suspect user error after machine number 2 or 3 which is why on your 6th machine they want to repair it. In reality they are probably just going to test it and make sure everything works. If they can't reproduce the error then they won't be able to fix anything.

11. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree sleep mode can be buggy however this is a hardware issue. I work in IT and I've wiped this system several times and reloaded 10.6.2. The issue keeps coming back. Also the following error keeps showing up in the log files: - Message: Sleep: Platform Failure - AC. I'm not comfortable that there isn't something seriously wrong with this system. My six year Dell laptop doesn't have issues with sleep mode.

I'm not trying to flame Apple but I feel like they are saying we have no confidence we can delivery you a product that works.

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Agreed on the luck thing. This is not a problem I see a lot of people complaining about here.

There are only so many things that you can do:

1. Try yet another machine.
    2. Ask for a different model.
    3. Ask for your money back.

Pick one and move forward. Calling Customer Relations is also a good idea. I have found Apple to be immensely helpful. Be polite, but know what you want and ask for that.

13. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Pretty much what everyone else has said...

I really tend to agree with the sentiment around here... get a refund and buy a new machine.

I, myself have a hard time believing you're on machine #6! That is an amazing string of happenstance! I would guess that after machine 3-4 Apple would have upgraded you at no cost, which is obviously not the case.

What exact 6 machines have you had? All the exact same make and model of iMac?

Personally I have owned 6 Mac's since 1994, all of which are still running today. One eMac will not read DVD's in the drive, but will read CD's. I haven't replaced the drive yet, just because I mainly use it as a test machine and simple browsing. my Performa PPC 6200 CD works perfect and it's 16 years old. I am responding to this thread on my Macbook 5,1 that's been a workhorse for the last year. I have one emac, a white Macbook, a Black Macbook and a Mac mini, that I've never had to service... ever.

14. mtc595 macrumors newbie

Hi,

The log message you received is most likely from when you pressed the power button to shut the machine down. If the fans spin up, then the machine probably can out of sleep, but the monitor / graphics card did not.

Do you have any applications running in the background when this happens?
    Maybe something that is running when you put the machine to sleep is causing the issue.

Try logging out completely and then putting the machine to sleep. Does the problem go away?

Mike

15. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

During these conversations with tech support/applecare, did they ever tell you to reset the SMU? I had a sleep issue with my imac and once I reset the SMU all was good! Won't hurt to try this.

I'd work with customer relations on this also.

16. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took my machine back to the Apple store I originally purchased it from and they gave me a full refund. I spoke to a knowledgeable technician and he suspected it has a bad power supply. I suspected the same thing since I googled the error message and other people referenced that error when their power supply was dying. At this point I couldn’t go the repair route because I’m so tired of lugging that boat anchor around.

I’m very disappointed things didn’t turn out better with Apple. I LOVED the machine minus the issues.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I would do.

18. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

19. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

This afternoon I dropped by Best Buy and it depressed me looking at the Wintel machines. Nothing can match an iMac for style and appearance. I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks before purchasing a new machine. Maybe I'll try Apple again or maybe not although my wife is threatening to divorce me if I do purchase another iMac. I really wish I could trust Apple’s quality control.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Perhaps she sabotaged it because you were spending a bit too much time happily computing.

21. danjames99 macrumors member

danjames99

I'd like to blame Apple, but if you've gone through six machines, I think they've been more than patient with you. You ought to let their technicians look at it.

I have to wonder if there isn't something else going on here. Maybe the electricity in your house fluctuates? Maybe you're doing something wrong that you haven't realized? Occam's razor would suggest that it doesn't seem plausible that six different machines gave you six precisely similar problems. Something doesn't add up.

22. alent1234 macrumors 603

doesn't mean it's hardware, could be driver bugs. my HP laptop has a bad habit of wifi not working when it comes out of sleep. reboot and it works fine. on WinXP it was horrible, Vista a bit better and still buggy on Win 7. and it's buggy on my mac mini G4 running 10.4. half the time out of sleep the monitor won't work and i have to unplug the monitor and replug it

or it could be just the wifi card firmware. i work with HP servers and there is firmware for almost every device and it's always buggy. same with dell, ibm, apple and everyone else.

23. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

That shouldn't be the case with Apple since they control the platform and for the most part they use uniform hardware. The issue I was having wasn't a widely know issue on iMac's therefore it was most likely related to my machine. Both the phone technician and store technician were pretty sure I had a hardware issue. Trust me, when I called Apple Care I was really hoping there was a firmware fix for my problem.

24. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

This is a case where we only hear one side of the story.

6 machines? I think its right for Apple to ask you to fix it or move on.

25. marbres macrumors newbie

marbres

Having had a similar experience -albeit some while ago... 9 machines or was it 10 I lose count of how many ...though it was the PPC_intel transition period when my troubles happened ... an y way ..
    Basically , I'd get the refund but make Apple aware, in writing -that you are dissatisfied with what has gone on, listing telephone call dates, reps name, outcomes etc ; The more info the better! Explain your inconvenience and respectfully ask for an appeasement. If your honest and genuine Apple will look after the problem , eventually--takes em a while sometimes but they usually can see the truth and get their in the end .. trust !.

So, back to what I'd do; Move on, it happens . Get another machine but never, ever ...EVER !! buy a first 'edition' anything...
    It took me a long while to get my issues rectified to a satisfactory level and now that I have[ took some doing though!!] I'm a member of the happy Apple customers club hehe,...despite my macbook going in the the obligatory cracked casing tomorrow.(
    That said; every time I send a machine in for service now I am concerned 'something; will go wrong....

IMHO they have improved over the last year or so with cst srvc ... thank goodness say I !! the PPC - intel transition period was a nightmare
    good luck and remember keep calm , be straight an they'll sort it, ask for an escalation to customer relations also, it helps, log al calls etc .