I think i broke the G5...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Peals, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Peals macrumors newbie

Hey, I think i messed up my G5.

I originally had plans to do a hackintosh build since the mac was outdated to newer software. It originally worked 100% correctly given that there was a strange startup with that fans on full blast some times and then lowering after the OS successfully booted up. I took it apart to get measurements, later I thought better of cutting it up and reinstalled the powermac components. After installing everything i attempted to boot the system up. Instead the power light would turn on and off. Not like the diagnostics when they blink but just a response. When i pressed the button the light turned on, when i released it, it turned off, no blinking. Did i mess up the Logic board or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
    ~Peals

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You must have installed something incorrectly. Did you take out and put back the RAM?

3. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did, Its a 7 Gig system, 6 1 gigs and 2 512 mb. I Just tried again with the bottom bay with 3 sets of 1 gigs and one 512 mb. Is there a certain order i need to put it in?

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Rather than type it up, I decided to just throw together a diagram of the proper RAM installation in the G5.

The RAM slot designations are my own, and not anything official from Apple.

Attached Files:

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks for the chart, I was actually a bit confused myself about where the RAM goes last time I had my G5 apart.

Edit: I had a single flash on the power light, indicating no RAM detected, and then I just happened to remember the order I took them out in :p

6. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you said... No go :( . I tried to see if it was because the manufactures had any thing to do with it. They seem to be made by the same people but some have Apple Stickers while others do not. Does that make a difference?

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, the manufacturer doesn't matter as long as it's working, properly seated, and installed in matched pairs. You said you were getting one flash on the power light, right?

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Check and see if any ECC RAM snuck in.

"Normal" low-density RAM has 8 chips per side. ECC will have 9 per side...or occasionally will have 8 on one side and 10 on the other.

If you have ECC sticks, they need to be paired with each other.

9. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

How exactly do you count the flashes? Mine just turns on and off depending on if the power button is held down.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Another random thought that may or may not make a difference...

Is this a dual processor model? If so, did you install the processors in their original locations? G5s can be "funny" about moving processors around. If you're unsure, it might not hurt to switch the two processors.

While you're at it, be sure they're fully seated.

11. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe there are any ECC sticks... The chips on the ram modules are 8 on both sides. Also, would having the video card installed affect anything? When i received the G5, it had a fire wire, and two video cards installed. I don't know whether or not that will affect the boot up though. Currently I don't have those plugged in.

----------

Will try this! Also, out of curiosity, would running on one module work? Plus, how can I check if this is a water cooled system or fan cooled?

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If it's a dual processor, you need both processors.

As for checking whether it's water cooled or air cooled...you should have noticed that when you took it apart. The LCS is one unit, and when you remove it both processors will come out still attached to it.

The longer answer is that the dual 2.5, dual 2.7, and quad 2.5 are water cooled. All others are air cooled.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, it won't run on just one, the minimum is one pair.

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Are you sure? My DP 2.0 PowerMac7,2 ran on one for a long time.

15. Peals, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

Ayyy that worked!!! :) Thanks for the help guys!!! Really appreciate it! Now how do i mark this as solved? xD

16. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

aaaand i take that back. The computer is making revving sounds and the front i/o light doesn't come on. The computer starts up though but no boot screen. Is there a away to eject the disc compartment via key board on boot up?

17. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Hold mouse button

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you're using an Apple keyboard, you can boot to boot manager(hold "option" through startup) and then use the media eject key on the keyboard to open the drive tray.

All that aside, after this much disruption you won't hurt anything by doing a PRAM reset. Press :apple: + Option + P + R before you hear the boot chime, and keep hold them until you hear a second chime(at that point you can release it).

19. Peals, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

The boot manager doesn't show, all i get is a black screen... Also there is no boot chime

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try resetting the PRAM when you hit the power button. If the volume was down all the way it wouldn't chime to my knowledge. A PRAM reset will play the chime if it passes POST.

The black screen maybe due to a GPU. The Mac should chime even if the GPU is busted.

21. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I will update this post when i get home when i try out your tip. Something i noticed the other night, when the powermac started up, the front led didn't stay on. it turned on once and then stayed off. I left it running for 5 minutes and it didn't do the flashing led diagnostics. It just stayed off.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well try the tip and report back. Create a new post in this thread and don't edit this one so that we can see the updated info.

23. Peals thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly it did no effect. All that happened was that the computer shut down and didn't come back on. I still have a black screen and there was no chime. I just plugged the hard drive into another mac i have to test and see if there was a OS installed or any files on the harddrive. The harddrive is blank, would that have anything to do with it? Also is there a way to test and see if the backup battery is the problem?

24. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It would still output video with no OS on the hard drive.

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can pull the battery and it should still start. If there is nothing on the drive it should display a flashing folder with a ?/Finder face alternating over it.