Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I have a 24" LED Cinema display that was succeeded by the Thunderbolt display. The Cinema display uses three plugs (Magsafe, Mini DisplayPort, USB) whereas the newer Thunderbolt display only has thunderbolt and power. With the dawn of the USB-C overlord included with the rMB, I've been looking into how I could possibly connect the rMB to my beautiful LED Cinema display. I was initially disheartened when it was concluded here that the thunderbolt display wouldn't work because thunderbolt isn't included in the USB-C spec. DisplayPort, however is. So there might be hope for my cinema display after all.

Here's what comes off of the cinema display:
led_display_connectors.jpg

In order for the USB hub, speakers, and camera on the display to be connected, I'll need the $79 apple adapter for one USB-C, one USB, and one HDMI (which won't be used). The regular USB will connect fine, and the USB-C will need to be split into two (one for display and one for power) through some kind of USB-C Hub. But the most difficult thing is the male mini DisplayPort from the cinema display.

With a mishmash of adapters, here's how I think it might be possible:

1a. $79 Apple USB-C to USB-C, HDMI, and regular USB adapter

MJ1K2.jpg

1b. Hypothetical USB-C Hub is needed to connect the display and power simulatneously (if the rMB doesn't get power from the display itself)

2. Apple USB-C Adapter at the rMB to DisplayPort Monoprice Male USB-C to DisplayPort Male

129081.jpg

3. From DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Monoprice Mini DisplayPort Male to Female DisplayPort

57141.jpg

4. Female Mini DisplayPort Coupler (for the male cinema display mini DisplayPort lead) Monoprice Female Mini DisplayPort Coupler

65021.jpg

With no less than five (!) adapters at a pretty unreasonable $140+, I think I could retain the functionality of my beloved (and aging) cinema display. The most ironic part is that this whole mess of cables and adapters is connected to a single tiny USB port. I guess that simplifies the docking station aspect of the cinema display. What do you guys think? Possible?

Last edited:

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
idk if that will work with all the adapters, but I'm no expert and I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn express either...

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Yep, that should work. The key is that monitor is mini-dp and not thunderbolt.

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
@gglockner : your solution will not work.

It's a (mini)DP to HDMI cable, and it's not reversible : you can't use it to connect a DP display (like Apple Display) to an HDMI output.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
OK, so the OP's suggestion will work for DisplayPort video, but then you cannot simultaneously connect DisplayPort video and power? That's awful.

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
It's not bidirectional? Harumpf.

It's not a "real" adapter : it's a passive link, the Graphic Card send a real HDMI signal in the DisplayPort connector, and it's routed to the HDMI connector.

Real adapter are very expansive, and there is HDMI to DisplayPort on the market (by Kanex), but with a MacBook, i think it's limited to 1080p.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
You can, you just need a yet-to-be-relseased USB-C Hub. (one for display, one for power)

Agreed. The only way to connect to DisplayPort screens is via USB-C to DisplayPort cables, like this one:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable

Trouble with that is - there is no way to charge rMB while using your display. We will have to wait for USB-C hubs to become available to be able to do this.

EDIT: I suppose using something like this could be another option (albeit not cheap one), this is an active converter not an adapter. If this works - you can connect Apple LED display via HDMI port on A/V dongle, while leaving USB-C port available for charging.

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

Last edited:

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
EDIT: I suppose using something like this could be another option (albeit not cheap one), this is an active converter not an adapter. If this works - you can connect Apple LED display via HDMI port on A/V dongle, while leaving USB-C port available for charging.

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

Unfortunately that is limited in resolution:

* Supports full HD resolutions up to 1920x1200

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
1920x1200 is the max resolution of Apple 24" LED Display. Isn't that what we are trying to connect?

I was thinking the 27" Apple Cinema Display. Identical display to the TBD except no Thunderbolt requirement.

EDIT: I see the OP was indeed speaking about the 24". I stand corrected.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The other problem with any of these solutions is that it will not allow you to use the USB ports built into the monitor.

-- Nathan

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
The other problem with any of these solutions is that it will not allow you to use the USB ports built into the monitor.

-- Nathan

Well the first step is the $79 Apple USB-C adapter which has a USB-C, HDMI (which can't be used for the display) and a regular USB. The USB lead from the display is connected to the USB port on the $79 adapter and the display's USB hub, iSight camera, speakers, etc. should all work.

Last edited:

HelsinkiMac

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
My issue is even worse, attempting to get an old apple cinema display HD (1920x1200) with the apple ADC connector to work! Currently works fine with a macbook air and minidisplayport to DVI adaptor and the active Apple DVI to ADC adaptor. I haven't figured out how to get 1920x1200 DVI which is what I need, since the VGA/HDMI adapters only output 1920x1080. Any ideas?!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure that USB-C on the Apple adapter is for power only (i.e. you cannot put another adapter into it). If you look at the picture, the USB-C port is labeled with a power symbol.

Also, I don't believe you're going to see USB-C hubs anytime soon.

You're probably stuck with the HDMI->mDP adapter at $120 for a good one.

Or, wait for a correct adapter with mDP on it, which is easily possible.

You're wrong on most of these points:

Pretty sure USB-C port on A/V adapter is not just for power. Yes, that's how Apple intends it to be used, but I there is no such thing as "USB-C power only" port specification.

USB-C hubs will appear sooner rather than later. Some are already in development, like this one.

USB-C DisplayPort adapters/cables already exist, no need to wait.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
There's no "power only" USB port spec either, but others have done it. Apple is known to do things "not to USB spec" (where's the USB logo on the computers...)

Anything is possible, but I'd be surprised if that's the case. We will know soon enough.

You do need to wait for an adapter that does it all in one, which is what I was referring to (as earlier in this thread). I think there will be a single adapter with mDP, USB and power.

Ah, OK sorry. Yes I am sure such adapter will exist at some point. I wish Apple's $79 adapter had mDP rather than HDMI port - then it would've been perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.