I think I got a better build iPhone 3G today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

So today I exchanged my mega defective white iPhone for a black 16GB. It was still sealed and wrapped until I got home (I missed doing that last year :( )

I opened the box and I noticed something..... the build quality is much better. I could actually FEEL it. Maybe I got a shoddy made iPhone before but it seems that the screen is a different one. The colors are MUCH more vibrant, colorful and it resembles the brightness and sharpness of the iPod touch. My white iPhone didn't have a yellow tint either, but this black one has no yellow tint and it isn't blue like the 1st iPhone....it's just BRIGHT WHITE. I noticed it immediately when my eyes felt more relaxed watching a movie, reading or looking at pictures.

I've had a brand new iPod touch before for like 4 days before deciding to just wait and get an iPhone 3G and I remember exactly how the screen looked. :eek: It looks VERY similar.

Buttons are perfect; silent ringer clicks, all buttons are perfect and not slanted or recessed too much within the phone itself. (my white one's top sleep/wake button was actually crooked and it had no click feedback so it didn't feel like a button--it felt cheap). It comes with the newer firmware already installed too.

That and all the edges are flush, screen is flush and there are NO dead pixels!

I also noticed that between the screen's glass and the silver bezel that they filled in that gap with some material and you can't get any dust and debris in there--that wasn't there with my white launch iPhone.

I seriously think this is a fresh new build that they've improved on slightly or maybe I'm just lucky as hell.

Here's the info if anyone cares to know:

Part No. MB948LL/A

Serial No. 84829*****

ICCID 8901************

What do you guys think?

2. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Sounds like you got a black 16gb like everyone else here. :rolleyes:

3. rust.puppet macrumors regular

thats interesting, your saying it comes with 2.0 fw or 2.0.1?

4. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Mind taking a picture of the improved 'filler' between the bezel and the glass? I want to verify if it's new or not.

5. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

No, just 2.0 (5A347)

I think this is a good batch because I played with the person next to me's iPhone and it was exactly the same quality. No defects really.

hey there's nothing wrong with buying a black one! I regretting getting the white one :rolleyes:

6. SimplyBlue macrumors member

They let you swap a white one for a black one?

7. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. I regretting getting the white one. I went for the no smudges, no scratches approach but pretty much I didn't like the white as much as I thought I did.

That and it started randomly shutting off and it became non responsive to any buttons even doing the Home + Wake button trick--nothing helped it.

I had an appointment today but I realized that they had black 16GB's in stock and I was still within the 14 day return policy to return/exchange with NO restocking fee.

The only catch was I had to wait like everyone else in a hilariously huge line :/, whatever

Oh, I'll try to get a picture of the "filler" for you guys, it's hard to tell in person but it's there. I think the flash on a camera + macro will show it better. :eek:

8. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Sweet-can't wait to see the picture! I'm just very curious if they have changed them, or to see if there are changes, if my phone has them.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

so every aspect of your phone improved? I doubt it. Sounds like your first phone was a lemon then.

10. radiotowers macrumors member

Just wanted to say that I had a similar experience.

I originally purchased a white iPhone; got it home and found the build quality to be pretty bad, especially compared to my original iPhone. Light leaking out of the left side, rough edges around the bezel, etc.

A few days later, I decided that I really couldn't stand the white in addition to the "defects" bothering me, so I returned it to the Apple Store and exchanged for a 8 GB black.

And guess what? No light leaks, edges are smooth, it really does feel better! It's strange, but I know exactly what you mean. And I'm quite happy with it!

11. cantankerously macrumors regular

My white 16gb iPhone I got on launch day has a gasket between the glass and bezel.

I bet the first one you had was lemon for sure.

12. ec51 macrumors 6502

Yeah my white one sounds just like everything you mentioned....I have absolutely no complaints.

13. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

is your white one like his white one or his black one?

14. baseballcp2002 macrumors member

I also have a 16gb white iphone and its built perfect. I have had no problems with the phone itself except for a few minor ones with the 2.0 software, but who hasn't??

I really dont think it has anything to do with what color you get, because my white one is perfect:D

15. jarvijarv macrumors regular

HAHAHA! Sounds just like my black 8gig iPhone i got on day 1 (July 11)...and it's worked flawlessly since then, just can't keep my hands off it too long!! :D

16. ec51 macrumors 6502

Well having no complaints...I would have to say it is like his new black one.

17. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

My first white one had a bad battery so I swapped and got a piece of junk with a misaligned case, bezel chips, black spot and stuck pixels..unreal. It's going back as well..worst apple product I've ever seen.

18. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Well you have a newer one then mine. I have a 27 week build. I was just reading the other thread on light leaks and mine is free and clear of this. I think you had a lemon, but the crooked sleep button mine DOES have this.

EDIT: Even though there are a lot of complaints about build quality/issues, I bet Apple still sticks to their 1% error rate on iPhones. Remember, a lot more people will be buying them now so you will see more complaints.

19. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I noticed a ding in my bezel as well... White iPhone that I got on launch day. Wasn't impressed, but I am living with it. I also noticed that my iPhone compared to a black one in the AT&T store had a different color tone or shade... Hard to tell if I got a dud too.

20. prelag macrumors member

Picked up my 2nd black 8gb iphone this morning (exchanged first one). It came with the updated firmware. Small amount of light leak on the left side still but no where near as bad as my first phone.

Will try to return it when the build quality goes up. Right now it's hit and miss.

21. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't want to make it seem that the white one's are faulty, I'm just saying in general Apple I think is shipping better quality built iPhone's than when it was launched. I'm seeing more and more fixed and less mistakes really.

I hope this is because Apple listened to us :eek: That or a majority of their batch of release phones were kind of poorly built. I think they're trying to shake em off and now releasing better ones.

Am I the only one that notices that the screen is much better? The whites and blacks and colors are perfect on mine. I could tell by looking at the Flobots album cover:

[​IMG]

The top right is supposed to be white like that. More what the the entire picture.

On my last iPhone it was all a yellow hue all around so there wasn't any white--it looked like the album was meant to be a yellowish tone--when you look at the real CD cover in person it's actually whiter not yellow.

hmm....

22. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

no handle bars.. nooooooo handle bars

23. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME

24. ChevolDavis macrumors member

Hands in the air like its good to be alive..

25. makismd macrumors newbie

Makes sense

this makes intuitive sense to release the first batch of phones and improve some issues with the future roll out. Just think if they produced 20 million units with a flaw