I think I have food poisoning...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Buschmaster, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Anyone here ever had food poisoning? I guess it comes in many different levels but I'm just interested to hear how it starts out to see if it's like what I'm experiencing at all. I definitely have something, though, because this feels pretty rough.

And as long as I'm here all day, what should we talk about?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

sure sign of food poisoning is throwing up. you're not vomiting, then i highly doubt you've been food poisoned.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hmm. From my own past experience if you do have food poisoning the last thing you will feel like or even be able to do is post on a Mac forum. :p:p
    Wall to wall vomiting started yet? :eek:
    Hope you're well soon!

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

and the other end too:rolleyes:

i hate getting food poisoning - cold sweets and lack of energy

all because of that dodgy kebab or KFC:mad:

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I think I had food poisoning to a minor extent.

Ate some cooked-recooked-recooked chicken, threw it up that night.

You feel sick and its a very distinctive sick feeling. Can't be comfortable, probably won't sleep.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, but it doesn't stop you going back for more...:)

7. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I wasn't comfortable and didn't sleep well at all last night. There was no way. I slept from about 12-4 and I've been up since.

I haven't thrown up yet, but sure feel like I could. The only reason I'm posting on MR is because I have a laptop. ;)

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep dodgy cooked/reheated food will do that to ya, when i feel sick like that i just wish someone would knock me out for a few day's untill i'm better again

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Might want to move that laptop from within the "vomit radius."

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No-one has asked what you were eating to make you feel ill.
    Could be interesting! :D

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had food poisoning on holiday once. It wasn't good, 10/12 days were ruined. Didn't eat for most that time too.

Learned my lesson though and stopped going to cheap chinese restaurants.

12. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

it's ok he has a glossy screen:D

13. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I was reading articles online about food poisoning (webmd, mayo clinic, etc.) and they mentioned that there are different levels, some with very high levels of vomiting and some with low frequency. Also, for some people it lasts as few as 12-24 hours and some people as many as 2 weeks.

So I feel like I'm probably on the real low end, all my symptoms line up from what I've read, anyway.

And I ate two tacos with shredded beef (Thank God the girlfriend got the regular beef!) from a place on campus.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I had food poisoning when I was 8 and ended up having to go to the hospital and stay overnight it was so bad.

Everything I tried to eat or drink would be thrown back up 30 seconds later. It was probably the worst 4 days of my life. Especially when you start hallucinating.

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I had food poison a few years ago. I don't remember what I ate but I started feeling bad when I was taking a shower at night, before bed. I was in the shower and then I started getting that feeling so I just sat down in the shower for a good 30 minutes. I finally got enough strength to get out and get dressed to get into bed. About 15 minutes later I was back in the bathroom, my head over the toilet. I don't think I left that bathroom the rest of the night. Eventually it got so bad that I brought a large trash can in so I could throw up in the trash can and sit on the toilet because I couldn't tell which one would happen, it was bad. I can sorta remember passing out with my head resting on the edge of the trash can, sitting on the toilet with my pants around my ankles.

Definitely not a fun couple of days.

16. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

*this* is how i got food poisoning...sorta. my freshman year of school, the dining hall had steak fajitas on a sunday night. my roomie and i ate them.

then we remembered that the dining hall had served steak on the previous monday. :eek:

for me, it was an entire early morning (vomiting began promptly at 1:00 AM) ordeal, followed by a whole day's worth of feeling like i had been beaten with a large stick, with the occasional dry heave. it lasted about a day, but i still felt yucky the next day too.

my roomie fared just a little better than i had, but she was also pretty ill.

feel better soon, and be thankful you aren't violently sick. :D

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Its like having a really bad hangover after a night of heavy drinking.

Puking your guts out on a regular basis is the telltale sign.

I got food poisoning at a company christmas party many years ago (Windows on the World - The Trade Center).

My then GF made fun of me, messed with me in the car thinking I just drank too much (I did too at first). After the first day, you realize its not a hangover. I found out when I got back that 300+ of my fellow employees didn't show up for work on Monday either (Friday night party).

I have to say, after the sickness stops, your really not right for a few days afterward either.

18. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I once ordered some pizza from our local Gumby's, and a few hours after eating I found myself vomiting uncontrollably for the next several hours. The bad thing was that I was trying to work on a class presentation that was set for the next morning, so I had to stay up and struggle through the sickness in order to make sure I was prepared, since there would be no time to make it up later.

A few months later, Gumby's was closed down after an abysmal health inspection grade.

19. jng macrumors 65816

jng

A few summers ago got food poisoning from breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. Coffee and bagel with cream cheese were all I had that morning and I started feeling sick later in class during an exam.

I left early and called someone to drive me home. And then I just puked for a few hours. Couldn't stop, even though there was nothing left in my stomach. Puking water (constantly thirsty). Hurts like hell to puke nothing. Finally went to the ER and they gave me some sort of shot which finally stopped the puking and an IV to give me back some electrolytes or something.

That day sucked.

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I had Gastroenteritis last Sunday. It felt like food poisoning but it wasn't. I also thought it was from dodgy KFC but apparently that wasn't the cause.

I was puking a lot and had the runs and a really sore stomach. I went to hospital and they gave me this drip and some antibiotics and some interflora and now I'm alive again!

21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had food poisoning from a dodgy burger place once. Lets just say I had vomiting and the runs at the same time :(

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Food poisoning comes in two variants - the violent vomiting variant and the stomach cramps/spend a day on the loo variant - or so I learned on an environmental health course many years ago.

If what you've eaten has toxins in it (usually the reheated stuff that hasn't been nuked enough or stuff that's gone off slightly), then you'll know within a couple of hours and the projectile vomiting will start.

If it's bacterial food poisoning (stuff that's been left on a hot plate to keep warm that's just not hot enough, stuff that hasn't been refrigerated long enough), then you might not see symptoms for several hours - and it will mostly affect the 'other end'.

23. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

While I have been very fortunate not to have had a bad case of food poisoning, I do, unfortunately, know what it's like not knowing which end to put over the bowl :eek: Not pleasant, especially when it feels like my poor throbbing head is about to explode!!

Very bad migraines will do that to you. All I can say is that I am most grateful that they have decreased greatly in number the older I get, coupled with the fact that I rarely suffer from the incredibly intense kind. Thank G-d for small mercies.

24. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Food poising... I will never eat anything from McD's again. I couldn't do a thing for a week... ugh, horrible... but at least I had a Mac to obsess on :D

25. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm pretty sure I had food poisoning once after eating Burger King. I had horrible stomach pains, like a dagger pushing through my abdomen, followed by intense vomiting, several times. It was a great experience... :rolleyes: