Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I noticed my iPhone 6 compared to a friends would absorb way more smudges and finger prints. I remember using vinegar spray to clean my screen few weeks ago because I thought it would help remove the fingerprints. I then googled it and read it removes the oleophobic coating, making the smudges more apparent compared to my friends same iPhone. What do I do to get that coating back, am I screwed?

I also need to make a genius appointment because my home screen button clicks like there is something behind it. Maybe they can replace the phone.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Once you strip that coating off you can't get it back without replacing the screen, sorry to say. That's why they tell you to use a microfiber cloth and no solvents. Sucks, man. Sorry to hear it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
It rubs off eventually anyway: I wouldn't worry about it. My phone looked smudgy the first day before anything could have removed it.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I would just use a screen protector at this point. It's probably cheaper and more reliable than trying to re-coat the screen with some third-party oleophobic liquid.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
The oleophobic coating is supposed to be a fluoropolymer compound which is generally pretty strong stuff. Few chemicals, including acids dissolve the stuff. Though I suppose whichever variant Apple may be soluble in an acid solution

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
This is a photo of iPhone after a few minutes of use with clean hands. I touch my friends iPhone 6 and he gets no finger prints. SO i def think something is off. I am making a genius bar appt soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6,953

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It certainly looks like the coating was taken off :(

As the others mentioned put a screen protector on it and it will be fine.

I usually put a screen protector on my iPhone anyways since I had an iPhone once that had the coating wear off in a spot. Now its automatic, new phone, new screen protector.

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
I've had a glass screen protector on since day one. Can't even tell its on. Put one on and move on with life. Also, don't spray your expensive electronics with vinegar.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Do all screen protectors have anti fingerprint coatings? And for the record I didn't spray my entire iPhone with vinegar. I sprayed a towel one time and wiped the screen. ;).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do all screen protectors have anti fingerprint coatings? And for the record I didn't spray my entire iPhone with vinegar. I sprayed a towel one time and wiped the screen. ;).

I use Ghost Armor, and the product does a great job at preventing fingerprints. I have no idea if its a coating or part of the material. I'd play it safe and avoid the vinegar though :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I use Ghost Armor, and the product does a great job at preventing fingerprints. I have no idea if its a coating or part of the material. I'd play it safe and avoid the vinegar though :D

It looks like the same material used in antireflective eyeglasses. Avoid rubbing alcohol and hair spray, as well. Use microfiber to clean the screen.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Not all do, but they do make oleophobic-coated films. Look for one that says oleophobic coating/anti-fingerprint coating/etc.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
This is a photo of iPhone after a few minutes of use with clean hands. I touch my friends iPhone 6 and he gets no finger prints. SO i def think something is off. I am making a genius bar appt soon.

Mine doesn't look this bad after a few MINUTES of use, but over the course of the day? I have definitely seen it look like that. And I have only ever used a microfiber cloth (and sometimes a shirt) to wipe the screen... no liquids.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013

Why are you making a appointment when its clearly your fault?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

I have Zagg Glass, it's either as good or better (with not showing fingerprints) than not having one on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.