I think I was in a commercial today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weaksauce, Apr 17, 2009.

1. weaksauce macrumors newbie

Or at least I felt like it. Tell me though; why do PC users love picking fights?

There I was was, minding my business and editing a few photos from a shoot I finished earlier. I had a half-eaten lox bagel sandwich, a glass of iced tea, my MBP and my graphic tablet on the table in one of my favorite delis. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a sign out that read "Harass me. I have a Macbook Pro" Nonetheless, some college yahoo and a few of his friends come strolling in, Acer laptop in hand and a Nikon D90 slung around his neck..."Oh gees, there's another one!" I hear him gruff as he enters. They order at the counter and walk over to my table.
    ""'Scuse me?" he goes.
    "Sup?" I say.
    "Dude, why'd you drop like 2Gs on that thing when this laptop (his Acer) does the exact same thing at like half the price?"
    I am kinda surprised by this. My only response "Because I prefer Macs"
    "Allow me to enlighten you, buddy" and he goes on to point out the specs of his laptop. 2.6GHz, nVidia GeForce 9650M blah blah blah...At the end of his spiel, all I can manage is "Oh. That's nice. But I still prefer a Mac" And that's when he notices that I'm editing photos in Adobe Light Room. He then invites me to watch him edit photos too in the same app, so he proceeds to boot his computer which took a bit longer than I'd like to admit. When its finally booted, he inserts his card for DL into Light Room (but not after jabbing me with the fact that my MBP doesn't come with a card reader built in) and guess what? His computer friggin freezes! I ***** you not, it FROZE right there. He says its never done that before and as he reboots he notices my tablet and asks "What's that for? Does it come with a Mac?" I then demo the use of a graphic tablet which seemed to impress him. He even loved the feel and precision of the pen. After his Acer boots and he re-launches Light Room he tries to DL his pictures, this time it succeeds and yes, it was very fast. However, he was shooting in JPEG and I shoot in RAW (I left that part out though...no point I thought). At this point I invited him to edit an image I'd take from my camera (5D MKII) and I would do the same thing to the same image. When navigating the full res image (22.1 mega pixels) in LR, I notice his acer is kinda choppy, while my MBP navigation was butter. Adjusting exposure and various other operation while in the develop module were also much much smoother on my 2.4GHz mbp. We were able to do the same edits in roughly the same time and he was feeling all smug, until I asked him how much his computer weighed. A whopping 9lbs!!! Something he dismissed as a moot point since anyone can lift 9lbs. In the end, we agreed to disagree but the best part came when he shut his laptop down to eat. Vista shot up a good number of prompts that he had to click before it BEGAN to shut down, and once that was going I could hear his HDD going NUTS and this didn't bother him one bit. He thanked me for showing him my tablet and when I told him how much they cost he just looked at me, shook his head and said "You know you can edit photos just fine without that." to which I just smiled and nodded. He then joined his friends for lunch at a table on the other side of the deli.

Ughhh....finally. Peace at last. But why the unnecessary penis measuring?

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

....wow.

Did he look as much a freak as he sounded?

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

How strange. Sounds like he had a hooooge chip on his shoulder.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Because it is an unfortunate but common trait of human nature to perpetuate a desire to feel superior. It didn't work out for him in this case, which scores one for you.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

great story man!! the makings of a new commercial for sure ;)

6. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

A few weeks ago I never thought about buying a mac. I also never would do what he did or think anything of someone using a mac. Hes obviously jealous of your apple. Only someone whos thought of getting one and didnt because of cost would do what he did.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Good on you for not being big headed. I don't mind people using Macs or PCs, but when they feel they have to to the measuring of the e-peen, that's when I get annoyed.

You might have just converted someone :)

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Your patience is to be commended…

I know I would have responded… err… very differently. :)

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Reason I don't edit when on a airplane. I get a crowd around me watch me process files and such and after a fashion shoot well you know how that goes. Everyone wants to be a Pro photographer and any Tom, Dick and Jane think they are. Been dealing with this one for 32 years as a working pro. And yes i have seen more people showing me there camera's than i could shake a stick at . Oh and more advice than I EVER wanted to hear. Penis envy is about the right phrase. Trust me you are not alone.

To us these are just working tools and to others it's there supposed 12 inch wanker to be proud of. Sorry for the graphic language but there is just no other way to say it.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Nothing really wrong with what the guy did,after all, he picked a fight, and lost badly :)

Amazing how funny that wouldve been though.

11. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Me too . . . something involving a knife maybe . . .

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

He still probably thinks this:

"I showed that Mac user."

13. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I'm sure if he could afford it he would have bought the Mac over the Acer. I know that's one of the big reasons I haven't had a Mac in five years. $$$$$.

14. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Here in New York it would have gone like this:

" 'Scuse me"

"F@%k off!"

:)

Seriously, engaging with idiots just validates them and their point of view as legitimate and worthy of your time. When a dog barks at you no one stops to convince the dog that you are really a good guy and not a threat. You just ignore it and move on. The same applies to someone who thinks they need to educate people they dont know about whatever their issue of choice is. Ignore and move on, an argument just drags you down to their level.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

When he said "Scuse me" i would have said "sorry i dont talk to people who use plastic laptops, with crappy operating systems, officially the worst reliablility record of any machine, poor quality screens, which dont have magsafe adaptors, use budget graphics cards, have the worst most terrible of all laptop speakers, weigh a massive amount, dont come with Applecare, dont have an iSight, and look poorly designed"

But hey an Acer is cheaper, so you find it, you keep it.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Snort. I like that response. :)

17. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Cheap, good, fast.... pick one.

People always give me the "it's so expensive" line when I suggest buying a MB over any other cheap PC laptop. Then they ask me for a recommendation for A/V, Spyware scanning software, firewall, broadband router, .....

Pointing out that much of that would be unnecessary for a Mac they always quip back, but it won't run my ( mostly pirated ) games!

18. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Also my boss is jealous when he takes his "top of the line" Dell laptop(s) when traveling. I open the lid, I'm connected and working in a few seconds. First he has to *find* how to add a network in Vista, hope it works the first time, wait, getting error messages from applications that the internet is down, and then eventually getting online and working.

Mac's are not even that much more expensive for the same hardware and the though that goes into them makes the experience, hands down, better than any PC that I have owned.

19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Sounds like he was trying to show of how much he knew about computers to someone else who appeared to be interested in the same thing. Pretty rude for him to draw it on so long.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

On behalf of this noob I apologize for the Nikon using public. If he wanted to make a fool of himself he should have atleast put his d90 in a bag to avoid getting exposed to his shame.

Props for using lightroom though.

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

22. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

and you wonder why so many people want to pick fights with mac users :rolleyes:

23. MTI macrumors 65816

Hardware debates, particularly between camera, computer and car brand loyalist . . . generally juvenile exercises. ;)

24. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Please,..., don't say anything against plastic laptops!

25. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I'm surprised he also didn't go "Why did you drop $299 on lightroom when you can get it for free at the Bay".